BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Area Control, Dice and Quick(ish) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Lindsey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my closest friends and stalwart of my gaming group is a big fan of area control. Actually.... that's not strictly true. The only thing he really likes to do in non-party games is DOMINATE someone with big armies. Send loads of troops from one area of a map to another, roll lots of dice and wipe them out. Nothing gives him greater joy than aggression and conflict.

To give an example of how far he will go, in TI3 he will not bother going for VPs. He will just build an army to bully on a neighbour. Which imbalances the game somewhat and is really annoying. Sigh...but that's just what he does.

He loves Risk, TI3 and GOT (even with the lack of dice, he likes it), and he always tries to get us to play them. But these games are loooong and my tastes are now drifting towards more Euro-ey games which he doesn't like. Plus default Risk ain't all that great.

I want to find a game that both me and him would like to play that doesn't take 3 hrs plus. 1-2 hrs tops, preferably.

My current thoughts are either Kemet or Risk Europe as they feature hand management (which is thumbs up as far as I'm concerned). Would appreciate thoughts on any others though that haven't sprung to my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kemet could be a good choice for you since it's got some euro stylings to it but still looks like Risk. It has no dice, and there's a strict limit to the amount of troops you can have on one space, but you can build up your offensive capabilities by purchasing attack powers and neat looking giant creatures so your friend might still get a kick out of it.

I've heard that Nexus Ops is a good, light-ish dudes-on-a-map game, but don't know much about it myself. Might be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rydonith wrote:
One of my closest friends and stalwart of my gaming group is a big fan of area control. Actually.... that's not strictly true. The only thing he really likes to do in non-party games is DOMINATE someone with big armies. Send loads of troops from one area of a map to another, roll lots of dice and wipe them out. Nothing gives him greater joy than aggression and conflict.

To give an example of how far he will go, in TI3 he will not bother going for VPs. He will just build an army to bully on a neighbour. Which imbalances the game somewhat and is really annoying. Sigh...but that's just what he does.

I want to find a game that both me and him would like to play that doesn't take 3 hrs plus. 1-2 hrs tops, preferably.

I got it, that he's your friend. but I think I would stop playing with a person who acted like this.. Honestly, it sounds like he's either overcompensating for something, or he's just an @ss or both. Bullying is not right, even if its on a board game. If you're playing a 2 player game, then that behavior is fine. But from your description, if its a group game, and he just singles one player out and constantly attacks them with no intent to try to win or complete the objective of the game, he's being an @ss..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
I've heard that Nexus Ops is a good, light-ish dudes-on-a-map game, but don't know much about it myself. Might be worth looking into.

While quicker than some games, Nexus Ops is much more mission objective based than strictly about wiping dudes off a map. The rules of attack make this difficult by only allowing one round of attacks per turn in a given area. I'm not saying he wouldn't like it, but it hesitate that there wouldn't be a throughly satisfying "crushing-your-enemies" vibe.

Though mostly dice-less, I have to wonder how Small World might go over. Maybe even Small World Underground as it has a tighter area, more conflict and more tools with which to clobber your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet - While it has dice, they aren't rolled. They are merely there to track tech levels.

Hate to do this to you, but some of the better dice chucking area control games are: Chaos in the Old World, Forbidden Stars both of which are OOP. Seen Forbidden Stars go real low as recently as yesterday, so it is worth keeping an eye out for. CiToW, not so much so.

Star Wars: Rebellion might appeal to him, as it has aspects of area control to it. I'm sure he'd prefer to play as the Empire.

Nexus Ops is a victory point game with elements of area control. It has a clever catch-up mechanic that keeps players from becoming neutered as they do in Risk and there is no player elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoni Van Ham
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Mission Red Planet second edition.
Give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mildthrill wrote:
Though mostly dice-less, I have to wonder how Small World might go over. Maybe even Small World Underground as it has a tighter area, more conflict and more tools with which to clobber your opponents.

I thought of Smallworld as well. Theme might not go for someone who's looking for something 'epic and awesome,' but it's a pretty great game with a lot of conflict. I like to call it Risk gone right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kattaklop wrote:
Mission Red Planet second edition.
Give it a look.

I found this one really low on conflict -- aside from the one role, there's mostly no direct conflict on the planet itself. Area-control, yes, but not very much conflict. Maybe we were just playing it wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Hate to do this to you, but some of the better dice chucking area control games are: Chaos in the Old World, Forbidden Stars both of which are OOP.

There's always Chaos in the Old World's spiritual decendant Blood Rage, but since I'm a little old school, someone else might have to comment on how that fits the criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Forbidden Stars and SW Rebellion are solidly in the 3+ hour range. Definitely not quick(ish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I'd definitely look at Risk Europe, as you said It's a game on my wishlist!

Have you also looked into some wargames? Something like Friedrich (3-4 players) or Maria (3 players), which are kinda euro-wargame hybrids. There's no dice, but there's a nice back-and-forth with tactics cards, which also brings in a nice element of hand management. In both of these games you're generally attacking one opponent (especially Friedrich, in which everyone is attacking Prussia BUT there can only be one winner), so you also don't have to worry about him whaling on one particular player and imbalancing the game. In fact, due to the tactic cards management aspect, the games could actually teach him some values of restraint, because attacking without thought will make you lose

Friedrich is a longer game, but I think Maria could be finished in 3 hours once you're experienced.

If it's just the two of you, a game using the Commands & Colors system (eg. C&C series, Battle Lore, Memoir '44) might do well, as it's all about tactics: attacking and maneuvering via cards (so there's hand management) and throwing lots of dice! I've only played C&C: Ancients, but you can pick a time period/subject that you're interested in A single scenario will definitely take less than 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk: Star Wars Edition and have him play on the Imperial side. He can spend the game spawning a Tie-Fighter blob and tearing up B/X/Y-wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion
1812: The Invasion of Canada

These are your games. They can be played in 90-150 minutes. Area control with loads of dice and massive armies possible. Very simple rule set with a short stack of cards controlling movement. Good historical flavor as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Travers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the sort of game I'm always looking for!

From my relatively limited experience Nexus Ops is the king of this category. Games usually clock in around an hour, dice chucking in combat and the structure of the game is far more in line with modern designs than Risk - you won't get hosed in a single round of combat and be forced to sit there for an hour! The game is won by fighting battles, so attacking is rewarded and indeed the aim of the game, so everyone's on the same page - everyone needs to play aggressively.

I've played Risk Europe once so far, so I'm not overly qualified to comment. I would say that while it's had good reviews it still suffers from a few 'old school' issues - i.e. a big defeat can effectively knock a player out of the game. I also find the card order system a bit clunky. Battles aren't actually that commonplace - a lot of the game is moving and taxing etc. It does, however, give the feel of big armies and a 'proper' map (unlike Nexus Ops). Like I said I've only played once, and reviews have been generally positive. I'll definitely be having another go.

Others I haven't played in the hybrid category: Cyclades, Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem, Shogun, Wallenstein (first edition)

Or even the old Gamesmaster series (I think Ikusa is still available) or some of the better Risk variants.

Or, as another person has said if it's 2 players go for Memoir '44 because it's clearly the greatest game ever made and I will refuse to believe otherwise no matter how angry the internet becomes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
He will love blood rage. Also it gives the person being bullied by him a chance to win still. (U can win by losing battles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Going to agree with the people recommending Small World. Turns are constant conflict. There are races and powers that can reduce the effectiveness of him picking on them and/or completely shut him down (diplomat). There's very little dice rolling though.

As much as I love Blood Rage, I wonder if it would interest him. I've never really felt like I was fielding a big army on the board. But, he might be really into the bigger monster minis. For other players, it does have anti-bullying mechanisms built in. There's limits to the number of units a player can have on the board, plus getting units to the board costs rage, and moving them once deployed costs rage. On top of that, he could simply be helping the other player win by bullying them repeatedly. No dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.