$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 105.06

6,574 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Black Market - Mister Black / Jobs Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's a lot going on in the general Black Market thread, so I've decided to break stuff about Mister Black and his Jobs out into a new thread.

Mister Black will be a contact located at The Black Market. He is a middle man who farms out jobs for other folks, so his jobs may have more sub-themes running through them than contacts.

As with other contacts, he will need a SOLID ability and a CORNER bonus. One of these will likely be free access to the Black Market (ie, you don't have to make a roll to get in). Not sure yet what the other will be.

Like Harken, his "tolerance" is a little different from other contacts: Mister Black doesn't care if you get a Warrant while working for him. However, if you would pay off Warrants to the Alliance Cruiser, you lose Solid AND all Active Jobs.


Now, on to the jobs, in broad strokes. Much of this repeats what I discussed in the main thread.

Let's assume the deck will be 45 Jobs, most of which loop into broad categories:

DISRUPT CONTACTS x9 (Crime, or maybe Crime/Salvage Ops)

There will be one job for each contact. These are high-paying Crime Jobs (4K to 5K), with 3-4 Misbehaves each.

Each Job will require Solid with the Contact, plus 1-2 keywords. Completing the Job makes ALL players lose Solid with the contact (if they were already Solid) and the player completing the Job gets Bad Blood (see related House Rules thread).


REAVER HUNTING x6 (Transport/Piracy)

A secret fight club in the Core will pay good cashy money to have Reavers captured and delivered. These are Piracy/Transport Jobs, with targets of Reaver Cutter, Reaver Space, and Miranda. Probably pays $500 per Reaver delivered.

This is addressed at a little more length in my House Rules thread re: carrying Reavers.


TONG WARFARE x5 (Piracy)

These are Mister Black's Piracy Jobs. You can pirate other ships, with a bonus if either ship has Tong Crew onboard.


PRIVATE BOUNTIES x5 (Bounty/Transport)

These are Illegal Bounties. Structurally, they are identical to regular Bounties, but they count as Jobs (in your hand, active, etc). These are pretty dark. I think they break down like this:

1) Niska has a bounty for the Big Damn Heroes (Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, Jayne, maybe Book)

2) Atherton has a bounty for Companions

3) Blue Sun has a bounty for Simon and River

4) Someone has a bounty for Riddick (and possibly Kyra)

5) Possibly one for Synthetics (which, I believe, will be introduced here and built upon on later projects)


ASSASSINATION x 5 (Crime)

Possibly one in each system, or maybe a few on the Core and then scattered around. These are Immoral Crime Jobs. Possibly, this is the Tongs pulling some political strings. I want to give these something unique, so I think maybe after completion, an Alliance Alert token is added to the Sector and each adjacent Sector, or maybe The Operative moves there to investigate.


SUPPLY PLANET SMUGGLING x7 (Smuggling/Salvage Ops)

We've got disruption of the various Contacts, so I think some sort of job involving the Supply Planets makes sense, but I'm not sure how to make them stand out yet. Most of the other classes of job have a unique hook that distinguishes them from similar jobs for other Contacts.


HIJACKING x5 (Smuggling/Piracy)

This is an "add on" somewhat similar to Mister Universe's cards, but here, you're hijacking a legitimate shipment of goods for delivery elsewhere, basically subverting a Shipping Job into a Smuggling Job. You probably lose Solid with the original Contact.


What other types of business might the nefarious Mister Black deal in?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought on his "other ability" -pick up whatever you lost on an active job for $200/unit needed. (so if you needed 3 fugitives for a job that the #$%^ cruiser took from you to complete a currently active job you could "buy" them from Mr. Black for $200 each.

Alternatively allow Mr. Black to let you "discard" an active job, (He has to get his leads from somewhere doesn't he?)

Just my 2 cents worth, but I like the job distribution you have there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
Just a thought on his "other ability" -pick up whatever you lost on an active job for $200/unit needed. (so if you needed 3 fugitives for a job that the #$%^ cruiser took from you to complete a currently active job you could "buy" them from Mr. Black for $200 each.


I like where you are going here, but this is a little redundant with the abilities of Harrow, Amnon Duul, and Fanty & Mingo; plus it would take a lot of words to spell this out on a card.

Dren608 wrote:
Alternatively allow Mr. Black to let you "discard" an active job, (He has to get his leads from somewhere doesn't he?)

Just my 2 cents worth, but I like the job distribution you have there.


This is a pretty solid idea. As far as I know it's not something that currently exists in the game, and is a compelling reason to deal with Mr. Black. (Which is one concern I have for this expansion in general. With all of the hoops you have to jump through to get there, the Black Market has to have multiple reasons that players will want to visit it late enough in the game for them to actually find it.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
On the Bounties: There should obviously be one for Mal. He's the one Niska would have the most beef with. But you can't take him because he's a Leader. But what if instead of taking Mal back to Niska, you take one of his Crew (Pound of Flesh), or some of his Cargo/Contraband.

Assassination: This is a little off the rails, but at the extreme ends of a Tong/Crime war, what if there are assassination attempts on the Contacts. There'd have to be a caveat that you couldn't assassinate someone named in the requirements of a Goal, and if a Goal required a number of contacts to be Solid, you could only assassinate up to that number.

But basically, if you kill the contact, you kill all their jobs, active, inactive, everything.

I know the crime families would, (or at least in this age) typically don't go after the heads, and focus on making their point or showing their strength by taking out lower rung members, but it's not unheard of, and who knows how they handle things in the future.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
On the Bounties: There should obviously be one for Mal. He's the one Niska would have the most beef with. But you can't take him because he's a Leader. But what if instead of taking Mal back to Niska, you take one of his Crew (Pound of Flesh), or some of his Cargo/Contraband.


I think that's a bit fiddly. Early in the evolution of the game, I would have theoretically agreed, since Mal was pretty much the best leader in the game, but I don't know if that holds true any more.

To some extent, these personal Bounties, by the way, are also a bit of a balancing factor in that they're almost exclusively on some of the more powerful Crew in the game.

Scarbuck wrote:
Assassination: This is a little off the rails, but at the extreme ends of a Tong/Crime war, what if there are assassination attempts on the Contacts. There'd have to be a caveat that you couldn't assassinate someone named in the requirements of a Goal, and if a Goal required a number of contacts to be Solid, you could only assassinate up to that number.

But basically, if you kill the contact, you kill all their jobs, active, inactive, everything.


I like the idea, but I think it gets too complicated for gameplay. That seems more the province of a story card. (In fact, my previous solo campaign idea culminated in the player trying to kill Niska - then run away from the fall-out).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ah, I do love to roll around in the dirt now and again. Muwahahahaa...

Perhaps he doesn't need a Solid bonus; like Niska, his bonus could be that he doesn't dump you and your crew into the fighting pit against the Reavers. So like Niska's "Pound of Flesh", Mr. Black's "Smoke Them Out" would be if you pay off warrants to the Alliance Cruiser, you lose Solid with Mr. Black and all active jobs. And maybe your Haven, to make it seem like Mr. Black is trying to actively take you down (like the Operative in Serenity. His Corner bonus should be free access to the Black Market.

I really like the idea of hunting Reavers, by the way. Especially for a fight club/colosseum/Tsunkatse organization.

Robbing the Supply Planets sounds like it could be a fun Job. Make 'em complicated, with a cash and supply reward. To make them complex, you could have it be three steps. Step one, pick up a passenger, a specialist needed to gain access to the Supplies. Step two, misbehaves to load up X cargo, with difficulty and X based on the typical planet's item cost (for instance, Osiris' stuff tends to be really expensive (or huge, ship items, which would be more difficult to get out of the place than, say, some guns.)) Step three, deliver the cargo and the specialist. Pay could be based off the difficulty, plus a Negotiate roll with the best result picking up an item from the Supply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
motosada wrote:

Robbing the Supply Planets sounds like it could be a fun Job. Make 'em complicated, with a cash and supply reward. To make them complex, you could have it be three steps. Step one, pick up a passenger, a specialist needed to gain access to the Supplies. Step two, misbehaves to load up X cargo, with difficulty and X based on the typical planet's item cost (for instance, Osiris' stuff tends to be really expensive (or huge, ship items, which would be more difficult to get out of the place than, say, some guns.)) Step three, deliver the cargo and the specialist. Pay could be based off the difficulty, plus a Negotiate roll with the best result picking up an item from the Supply.


That sounds cool. I'd add that. You blind draw the top card from that deck and place it below the job card, still face down. At the end if you roll super well, there's your item (or perhaps person). Roll a normal success, and the card goes into the Black Market discard pile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motosada wrote:
And maybe your Haven, to make it seem like Mr. Black is trying to actively take you down (like the Operative in Serenity.


I would advise against destroying Havens, as that would make some story cards unwinnable for that player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
turambur wrote:
motosada wrote:
And maybe your Haven, to make it seem like Mr. Black is trying to actively take you down (like the Operative in Serenity.


I would advise against destroying Havens, as that would make some story cards unwinnable for that player.


What if it added an Alert token to that sector instead of destroying the Haven?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
turambur wrote:
motosada wrote:
And maybe your Haven, to make it seem like Mr. Black is trying to actively take you down (like the Operative in Serenity.


I would advise against destroying Havens, as that would make some story cards unwinnable for that player.


What if it added an Alert token to that sector instead of destroying the Haven?


That should work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Debler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I would think a lot of Immoral but very high-paying jobs would make sense. I kind of feel like some more player-vs-player might make sense too (though I personally am not into fighting the other players so much). I'm also liking the thought that he is about messing with others for his own profit.

Evil ideas for Mr. Black:
* Sabotage: Water supplies, food stores, vital machinery, etc
* Theft: Maybe this even involves taking Gear or Upgrades from other players....
* Robbery: Perhaps you can rip off Gear from Supply Planets, getting to take items from the deck and/or discard pile, and throw out the rest
* Destruction of Property: Again, this idea is something like using Work actions to remove cards from the top of a Supply Deck
* Betrayal: While solid with a contact, you can do a job where you discard jobs from that Contact's deck so that the work can't be done by anyone.
* Kidnapping: A bit like a bounty, except that you get paid for the job AND another player might have to pay to get their crew back!
* Gambling: Or, more like rigging games. Perhaps there is some side-bets for those helping him rig the outcomes.
* Blackmail: Perhaps he has jobs targeting other captains, where the player has to pay and have their captain Disgruntled or not pay and have their whole crew Disgruntled.
* Extortion: This might involve something like the "flying the flag" idea, where you travel to multiple planets in a system leaving Disgruntled tokens on each planet you stop on, then get paid for each token left when you return to complete the job.
* Buying off the Feds: Maybe you have to deliver contraband to the Feds, but then get to send them off on another player?
* Corrupt Feds: On the same lines, maybe you can get contraband for a job by GOING to the Feds!

If you decide to make "Company" a keyword, I'd hope to see a decent representation of that here too.

Regarding Mr. Black himself:
Niska doesn't have a "solid" bonus, so I'd say that Mr. Black should just have the "Warrants don't ruin solid" for him. I think his corner bonus should be the free entry to the Black Market. Overall, I think his Jobs alone should be the big payoff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.