Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Five year old birthday suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kari P
msg tools
My son is turning five and I would love some game recommendations. We tend to prefer shorter length, fun themed games that still require thought and that he won't age out of in two months. His favorite games are love letter, Ubongo, chicken cha cha cha, wig out, outfoxed, and loopin Louie. I was debating between push a monster, click clack lumberjack, coconuts, and spinderella. Are any of these great hits, or are there others to consider? We also don't do horror/zombie type theme games. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get it, Gulo Gulo, which has been recently re-released as Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo. It's a fun dexterity game. My kids loved it up until around age 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is also turning five next month, and I'm looking at Taxi Wildlife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal

You should consider listing and rating your collection:
How To : List your Collection and rate games (with screen shots)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going to come out of left field and say No Thank You, Evil!. It's an RPG not unlike dungeons and dragons, but for kids. Being able to present challenges, and seeing how my daughter works through them has been nothing short of magical for me to watch. Seeing how a child's mind works through these things is just great. For instance, a scenario involved someone that was capture by 3 witches. Personally I would have just busted down the door and fought all of the witches to save the dude. My daughter spends a half hour going through the world collecting items to craft a witch costume to disguise herself as a witch and gain their trust, just to steal the guy back when they aren't looking. This was all her own idea. If you're up to the task of thinking of challenges and adventures for your son to go through, this game will make you truly appreciate how creative and interesting their little minds can be. It's also a great tool for introducing any kind of educational topics, etc. that you want. I've put math, puzzles, all sorts of things into scenarios that she has to solve to get further in the game. This game does take some imagination from the parent to help keep it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
My son just turned 5 in August and as soon as he started kindergarten his gaming and critical thinking flipped on a like a light switch. Here are the games we've been playing over the last couple months:

Outfoxed- you already mentioned this, but it lead us to the next game which is...

Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters - Cooperative. You can scale to multiple tiers of difficulty by adding additional advanced cards and rules. I know you said you don't do horror but this is pretty mild. It is definitely a kids game and the minis are cute. I would rate it no more scary than scooby-do

Monza - Fast racing game with dice.

Tales & Games: Three Little Pigs - matching sets of dice rolls (like in outfoxed) to collect house tiles while avoiding wolf faces. The game comes with advanced rules that changes scoring and allows it to scale a bit. I can't seem to beat him at this one.

My First Stone Age - Set Collection to buy the huts. There is a memory element as you're flipping over tiles to determine your movement on the board rather than rolling dice. It requires remembering the location of important tiles Has a fun little story that gives a tour of the board.

I have click clack lumberjack and coconuts too that we've played a couple times but dexterity games are still a little tricky. My hand-eye coordination is better than his and hes generally playing at a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Kari,

My 5 year old loves Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game yes there are tonnes of expansions, but you don't need them all. Flying around with Luke Skywalker blasting tie fighters is great fun.

All the best,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My five year old really enjoys the following games:

Carcassonne
Castle Panic - The expansions are fun too. I find with my son a two and possibly 3 player game works the best otherwise there is too much downtime in between turns. This is a co-op game.

Archaeology: The Card Game - He enjoys this game and it forces him to use simple math like 2 + 3 + 2.

The Battle for Hill 218 - He loves this game. This is probably his favorite. Quick set up, clean up and play time.

Colt Express - Fun for him with a house rule. I'm not sure if this fits into your short requirement.

Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert Loves finding the treasure and rebuilding the ship. These two are co-op games.

Hive He's been enjoying this lately.

Patchwork - Ubongo / tetris like.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Might not be short, but that depends on your definition.

Jamaica - I just got this so we haven't had a chance to try it out, but I suspect he'll like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games we most often play with my 5 year old son are

Carcassonne

Patchwork

Burger Joint

Stone Age - this is the one that he likes most

Agricola - we play the family game with no occupations etc cause he does not know English

Forbidden Island

I guess Stone Age and Agricola might take more time than you would like but keep them as a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We love Haba games, I'd suggest

Brandon the Brave

Her mit dem Schatz!

Monza

Gary Gouda

Animal Upon Animal

Diego Drachenzahn

And also

Sleeping Queens as a simple card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haba Space planets and Dragon Rapid Fire are popular. If hes into Fantasy, their game Heroes of Kaskaria is a huge hit with my six year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belial Langley
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
At that age I loved Dungeon! and I remember playing with my cousins games like kinder bunnies (children's killer bunnies) and Tsuro not long ago. There's a children's variant contained inside Agricola, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. seems simple though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Thompson
United States
flag msg tools
Just today I found a bunch of Gamewright games at a children's consignment store that might interest you. My son loves playing HISSS with me.

HISSS
Gubs
Castle Keep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kari82 wrote:
My son is turning five and I would love some game recommendations. We tend to prefer shorter length, fun themed games that still require thought and that he won't age out of in two months. His favorite games are love letter, Ubongo, chicken cha cha cha, wig out, outfoxed, and loopin Louie. I was debating between push a monster, click clack lumberjack, coconuts, and spinderella. Are any of these great hits, or are there others to consider? We also don't do horror/zombie type theme games. Thanks!

My daughter turned 5 several months ago. I created a geeklist of the recent games we've had great success with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mine loved these best when just turned five and still loves (plus good for adults) are;

Survive: escape from atlantis
Tales and Games: The tortoise and the hare
Karuba
Incan Gold
Little Prince make me a planet
King of tokyo
Loony Quest
The siblings trouble
Terror in Meeple City
Rhino Hero
Hedbanz
Crossing

Just in case you were interested in ones mentioned above. A simpler pre programmed movement game than colt express if you want to try this kind of game out is river dragons and it's really nice.

A more accessible version (and more enjoyable in my book) of carcassonne is Carcassone:Over hill and dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My five year old daughter really enjoys Carcassonne and King of Tokyo. We play with slightly modified rules (no farmers for Carc, no power cards for KoT). It's a bit bland, but hey, she's five and can't quite read yet.

I also picked up Mein erster Lernspielzoo. They have a whole series of those games, and they are pretty educational. Just hard to find in the US.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
Hive is a fantastic two player abstract game. It is simple enough for a 5 year to play, but it complex enough to last both of you years.

My kids really like storytelling, so we are going to check out StoryLine Fairy Tales and Scary Tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo, hands down. I tell my 4-year old twins what the cards do, so we can play with the full rules. They love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
kari82 wrote:

My daughter turned 5 several months ago. I created a geeklist of the recent games we've had great success with.

I have done pretty much the same as I started playing games with my son(s), so put together geeklist here .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Some wonderful games we love to play with our five year old I did not see above:

Buggaloop (and Bugs in the Kitchen)

Quickpick: Island of Monster Masks

The Enchanted Tower

Om Nom Nom

The card game 'garbage' which you can play with a standard deck.. we use the Dragonwood deck as it has 5 colors with 12 numbered cards each. (so, two rows of 6 each instead of 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4.5 year old and a 5.5 year old, so check out my list here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 boys who are 5 & 8. It sounds like it's time to get him some Pokémon cards It's not the worst game really, I don't mind it, and the boys love collecting the cards.

My 5 year old also really likes Patchwork, and Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hocker
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A friend recently brought over Ghost Blitz and my 5 year old loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are the games my 5.5 year old and I both like playing (together) since he turned 5. I'll put an asterisk next to our favorites. I tried to leave off games that I enjoy a lot more than him:

Alles Kanone! (the pirate one)
The Enchanted Tower
* Ghost Blitz
* King of New York
King of Tokyo
* Kombat Kittens
* Love Letter (original, *Love Letter: Batman, or *Adventure Time Love Letter)
Blokus
The Magic Labyrinth
My First Stone Age
Quoridor
Tsuro
Yahtzee
* Maunz Maunz
* Munchkin Adventure Time and Munchkin Axe Cop
* Sleeping Queens
* Rat-a-Tat Cat
Hive
Rory's Story Cubes
Labyrinth
Tenzi and 77 ways to play TENZI
* Sushi Go!
Hey, That's My Fish!
* Menu Mash-Up
Drecksau
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.