Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to get into a deep, longish 2-player only game. Two that I'm considering are Twilight Struggle and Star Wars: Rebellion. What say you all? Any other recommendations? I enjoy Netrunner, chess, Starcraft TBG, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir are a difficult one to place.

Either of these games would be my recommendation to you had you asked for a 2-player thematic game. Either or... or both.

Psst:
No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both supposed to be good/great games, so you probably can't go wrong, but there are a few things I would consider:

1) Theme. Does either theme appeal to your more? The themes are obviously very different (and prominent) in each game.
2) Chrome. Do you like piles of plastic miniatures and cool cardboard standees? Twilight Struggle has chits.
3) Cost. Twilight Struggle is a fair amount less than Rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a Star Wars fan than Rebellion if you don't like Star Wars TS.
Either way they are both excellent games and would recommend both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in some respects these two games are more similar than they first look. They both benefit a player who knows the card decks pretty well and they both pull a lot of their theme/narrative out of hidden information (where is the rebel base / where is the scoring card). I am tempted to say Twiglet struggle has more depth to it, but I have only played Star-Wars Rebs twice.

They have a pretty similar length and complexity. I'd go for the one you will find easiest to sell to your opponents. Also some people hate the combat system in Star Wars Rebellion (I think its fine but not great either) so that might be a turn off for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

You're not going to spend money much better.

(War of the ring too, if you like tolkien.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight struggle is a game where players are trying to influence countries to support their regime. The whole game is about trying to tip the balance in your favour. There is no real war or fighting, but it's a constant struggle against your opponent regardless.

Star Wars is hide and seek with a backdrop of the empire vs the rebels.

I have issues with both of them, frankly. Twilight depends a lot on who draws the scoring cards, and when. It feels like a bit too much luck, for a game of this length and strategic veneer. I like it, but I don't love it.

With Star Wars, the game is fun and all the minis are great, but it feels like the game is artificially longer than it should be. The empires slow movement and the unnecessarily complex combat are probably the biggest culprits. Most aspects of the game are really fun though.

If I, personably, had to pick one it would be Star Wars Rebellion. That said, if you aren't into games with dice combat, swings of luck, chrome rules, etc, Twilight struggle maybe a better bet (BTW, twilight struggle dies feel very thematic, it's just a more cerebral kind of thematic, which is appropriate to the setting of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Rebellion in board game form.

Get Twilight Struggle in app form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
I have issues with both of them, frankly. Twilight depends a lot on who draws the scoring cards, and when. It feels like a bit too much luck, for a game of this length and strategic veneer. I like it, but I don't love it.

I'm sorry, Miguel, and please do not take offense at this it is not a personal swipe, but for the OP's sake I must point out that this is a very misleading characterization.

TS is a hand management game. The entire premise to TS is dealing with the uncomfortable situation at hand, and managing/minimizing the negative events. You WILL have a bad hand of cards. It is literally impossible not to do so. Your opponents event WILL happen, whether you like it or not.

However, YOU get to choose when that will happen. This ability to control timing is everything in the game. Also, with regards to the scoring cards, after you become comfortable with the game, you will know when they are coming most of the time. You know more or less which ones are coming up, just not precisely when. I disagree in that it matter very little who actually draws the card, if you are playing this aspect well it will all be the same. Sometimes it is good to draw them. Sometimes it is actually better if your opponent draws it and is denied an OP in its place. I can't count the number of times I have played poorly and I must play a scoring card that benefits my opponent.

After many long years, I have found TS to be one of the less "whim of luck" (not the same as fate) CDGs out there. Player logs online tend to support this view.

PS: I love Rebellion as well, so good luck with this decision. My only suggestion is, like the poster above, to consider War of the Ring instead. It's the only game that could beat these two, for me anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
agent easy wrote:

I'm sorry, Miguel, and please do not take offense at this it is not a personal swipe, but for the OP's sake I must point out that this is a very misleading characterization.

TS is a hand management game. The entire premise to TS is dealing with the uncomfortable situation at hand, and managing/minimizing the negative events. You WILL have a bad hand of cards. It is literally impossible not to do so. Your opponents event WILL happen, whether you like it or not.

Nous offense taken!

Well, hopefully we can both agree that until you know the game really well, this particular bit of luck of the draw can be very swingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are currently in my top ten, but I'd say Twilight Struggle is going to be the better investment. I've played Rebellion 7 or 8 times, and while I do really enjoy it, there's a certain similarity that exists for how the different events are going to play out from one game to the next. Not to mention it's a pretty big time investment.

Compare that to Twilight Struggle, which I have 150+ hours spent playing the app on Steam. That doesn't even count my face to face plays. TS is a masterpiece, but it does take some dedication to get familiar enough with the decks to remain competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:

Well, hopefully we can both agree that until you know the game really well, this particular bit of luck of the draw can be very swingy.

Yes, agreed. Also, in my view, Rebellion doesn't really have a large swingy luck factor. It's a bit more forgiving. TS can be brutally unforgiving!

And agree with Michael above that TS would likely get more plays in the long haul. Rebellion is great, but I do worry about its longevity before it gets a bit samey.

Good comments, and to the OP: if you really fall in love with one of these 2P gems, you are inevitably going to want more. You're staring down an awfully big rabbit hole. But it is a really fun and rewarding one to explore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback so far! I need to mull this over some more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it matters at all, I think TS is one of the most boring/bland games I've ever played. Haven't played the other. You're only hearing from people "in love" with the game in this thread, of which there are many, but I don't quite understand why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
If it matters at all, I think TS is one of the most boring/bland games I've ever played.
I guess, if you aren't into the game's theme at all, you may feel that way. So, bland, maybe, but boring? I don't think anyone can argue it isn't well designed. Imho, it's one of the most accessible GMT games and offers tremendous replayability. I'm actually not a big fan of most of their games, but their rulebooks, playbooks, and the research that went into them is top-notch.

The biggest benefit of Star Wars Rebellion is it's 'sexyiness' - if you're a Star Wars fan, at least. FGG games are of course best known for their production values, but the gameplay is also great. I'm not qualified to judge its replayablity.

If I should guess, I'd say, it's going to be mostly a matter of personal taste if you need to decide between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and really enjoy them both.

Star Wars is easier to get to the table with newer players, but IMHO TS has better replay value against the same opponent if you get to play it a lot.

At the end of the day they are both quality games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.