Subject: Which Units Are Towed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dumb question I am sure, but how do you know if a unit is towed or not? Is it all units with a movement factor of 1L0?

Related to that, if the Soviet NSV HMG in scenario 2 is a towed weapon due to its 1L0 movement, does that mean it doesn't need a separate leg (crew/section) counter to move/fire it as rule 5.2 says crews are inherent in the weapon counter? If so, how does that match rule 5.1.3 which says crew-served weapons are never fielded individually and must be attached to a squad/half squad/section?

Same question for the Soviet SPG-9 weapon counter in the same scenario.

I'm a bit confused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter - the crew is inherent to those counters - you don't need a separate squad to operate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I'm also confused by the statement in 5.1.3 that discusses leg units that have DP and AP capable crew-served weapons attached, which I took to mean the separate heavy weapon counters such as HMG, SPG-9, etc.

Is 5.1.3 referring to the counters that show a crew manning a weapon such as a grenade launcher (again, Scenario 2 has this), and if so must they be attached to a squad/section or is that something else again?

I can see on the SM-8B data card that a number of crew-served weapons are listed, but I'm having trouble relate that to the various counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oskacat wrote:
I think I'm also confused by the statement in 5.1.3 that discusses leg units that have DP and AP capable crew-served weapons attached, which I took to mean the separate heavy weapon counters such as HMG, SPG-9, etc.

Is 5.1.3 referring to the counters that show a crew manning a weapon such as a grenade launcher (again, Scenario 2 has this), and if so must they be attached to a squad/section or is that something else again?

I can see on the SM-8B data card that a number of crew-served weapons are listed, but I'm having trouble relate that to the various counters.

See the unit images and labels in 1.6.1 for clarification. The easy answer is that if it's a large counter (i.e. the same size as the tanks) it's a Towed unit (see 5.2). There are 5/8" markers that show MG or ATGM sections as you mentioned - these are infantry and the noted weapons cannot exist apart from the infantry carrying them.

Does that clear it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.