Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybooooody,

Okay, let's get this out of the way first: I missed the September update, sozzah, my bad. I wanted it to go out on the 30th (our first year anniversary - can you believe it?? Congratulations guys!! ) but events, real life, and my own anally retentive attention to detail conspired against me. I'll try to do another update at the end of October to make up for it, but this one should keep you going for a leetle while anyway...

Late Pledges still available, but not endless!

I can take a few more non-US orders if you PM me, and I'm not sure how many US pre-orders GLGames have remaining but if you haven't already backed this campaign (seriously, whawhawhaaaaaaat???????) you might want to grab the game with the 3 Kickstarter exclusive cards and all the stretch goals whilst you can.

Named Legends!

Giganto thanks to all of our Legend level backers for finalising their choices and helping to build the world with us. We've been seriously impressed by the research and effort put in by some of the submissions (at least one of you appears to know Elvish!) and the amusing stories surrounding other choices. If you guys were an elite heavy infantry unit you would be the Immortals. And in a way, you now are.

PnP version!

For those who pledged for it (£50+ pledges) we will soon be making the art-free PnP files available once all the other files have been finalised, more info on that to follow, maybe even in the next update. I still think you should wait until the beautiful game itself arrives, because we nearly went snow-blind play-testing FFG's Lord of the Rings LCG from staring at all the white space! But I know some of you just cannot wait...

Address Surveys!

Thanks to everyone who's submitted their address info so far, some of you have already moved house and updated your addresses too, so thanks for staying on top of that. If you haven't already input your address details, that's cool, you still have time, and I won't be switching off the ability to change that until just before we start shipping. But make sure you have something in there cos we have to post these things somewhere, and you don't want this precious parcel getting lost in the post or left on the warehouse shelf!

Estimated Shipping Date!

This has been mentioned in other updates and on the forums but people are still asking so to reiterate - if everything goes according to plan we should hopefully be able to start shipping out to backers around April/May 2017. I know a lot can go pear-shaped along the way but this gives us a date to aim for, and as always I'll keep you updated throughout the process.

Final Rules!

This is a huge milestone for the project. For years now I've been working from variously: scrappy hand written notes, an incomprehensible spreadsheet, a notepad file full of wingdings, a brain full of wrong, a box of business cards, and several hundred iterations of a word doc. But now we have the rules pared down into their gorgeous entirety, with the critical word+logic skills of Patrick Brennan, the collective graphic design muscle of Tom Howard and Daz Marks, and of course beautified throughout by the sumptuous visual world building of Ania Kryczkowska. One reason we're not having an art preview in the update itself this month is because you're getting a shed-load throughout the pdf, ya spoilt buggers ya. Since we've put mentally agonising, soul-sheering effort into the layout you can accept this as the final pass at the rules now, though if you spot any critical errors hit me up and I'll see if we can squeeze in the edits.

If you consider that all of the flavour text that Stephanie Wasson applied her grammatical magic to amounted to so many thousands of words it was the length of a dissertation, the game text on all the cards is another dissertation's worth, and well, with the rule-book here's another dissertation or two for you right here:

High res:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9eLDYUtUrycUmNpM0pCV0x1Qm...

Low res:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9eLDYUtUrycck5ERWpBeFZhZG...

A Word About Creativity, and an announcement about the art

It's late in the day (or early in the morning at time of writing) but i wanted to hark back briefly to the campaign era of rambling updates - so feel free to skip to this last section! - and take a moment to look at and thank you for the privileged platform you've awarded me in terms of being able to express creativity unfettered by the morasses of modernity. Having witnessed in the press, the web, and in the world around me, a relentless slew of artistic, intelligent and articulate people repeatedly being shut down by folks who shout louder but have less to say, or who have more money and influence than sense, resulting in the crippling lowering of standards and ethics across media, politics, journalism and day to day life, it can become an arduous task summoning the strength to hold fast to your beliefs, harness your creative verve, and comport yourself to the highest standards that you know you're capable of delivering. But, whatever else is going on in the world, I can honestly say that each and every moment I spend coming back to this particular original world of ours has been an absolute pleasure, and that the inventive freedom which you have all given me to guide this project all the way to its conclusion is quite literally manna from heaven for me.

As I travel the land of Kilforth - itself such a tiny part of the wider world in which it sits, no longer imaginary, but a fully realised, living breathing world - not by air balloon, mystical wings, or dragon-saddle, but by such an innocuous and unassuming mode of transport as scrolling through hundreds of jpegs, I can barely keep the grin from my aching jaw as I type these words to you:

The art is all finally done, and it is, forgive my French, effing magnificent.

That naive decision, that rookie mistake of choosing to have just one phenomenal artist finish what we started one year ago has finally paid off, and we all get to reap the benefits of this cohesive, immersive, grotesque and peerless fantasy universe.

As I set Ania to work on the Next Project™ (what, you thought I was going to let her rest?) it now falls to us at the final hurdle to submit the files and get production rolling on this beast. There are a few minor elements to clear up, some design choices to finalise, and some crazy mention of tarot-sized location cards and what that might cost, but you don't want to hear about all of that and I've gone on with myself at length once again - it really is like the old days. Well, maybe in the next update I'll be jumping into the audience alongside you all and waiting for this thing to arrive myself. Bagsy first dibs! And with all that in mind, once again here's the...

Estimated Shipping Date!

If everything goes according to plan we should hopefully be able to start shipping out to backers around April/May 2017. I know a lot can go pear-shaped along the way but this gives us a date to aim for, and as always I'll keep you updated throughout the process.

Have a fantastic October everyone, and a sufficiently spookery Halloween...

Tristan xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, if you live in the US, we have it available for pre-order in the BGG Marketplace. Kickstarter Edition with all stretch goals and the three KS Exclusive cards. Once we're out of stock of the KS Edition, we're out for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or are the Race and Class cards reversed in the example setup on page 4 of the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on a Canadian seller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aletheia wrote:
Is it just me, or are the Race and Class cards reversed in the example setup on page 4 of the rules?

Oops, Tristan mop up page 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spotted under Skills that the Prizefighter card has an extra (2) floating halfway up the left hand side. Unless some skill cards have something there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And reading further down the page, "Sagas":

Quote:
2. Keywords (Chapters only) – the keywords that must
be gathered for this hero to defeat this card. If a keyword
is preceded by numbers in parentheses, then that
keyword only applies if that many heroes are in the
game.

The Chapter card appears to show that you now have a 1-2 player icon above a keyword, so no number in parentheses?

Quote:
Attribute value (Finale only) – the attribute the hero
must Test to defeat this card.

The attribute appears to be on the Totem card (incorrectly?) and partially hidden on the Finale card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Just to confirm, if you live in the US, we have it available for pre-order in the BGG Marketplace. Kickstarter Edition with all stretch goals and the three KS Exclusive cards. Once we're out of stock of the KS Edition, we're out for good.

Love your work, Mike!

Aletheia wrote:

Well, um, it’s not you – cheers for the feedback!

Logus Vile wrote:

BoardGameBliss will be stocking copies – so big thanks to whoever recommended them (was that you, Logus??)!

jokeroz wrote:
Oops, Tristan mop up page 4

On it!

firewizard wrote:
Just spotted under Skills that the Prizefighter card has an extra (2) floating halfway up the left hand side. Unless some skill cards have something there?

That was the secret ninja (2), congrats for being first to spot it – the prize is that you can tell all your friends you did it!

firewizard wrote:
And reading further down the page, "Sagas":

Quote:
2. Keywords (Chapters only) – the keywords that must
be gathered for this hero to defeat this card. If a keyword
is preceded by numbers in parentheses, then that
keyword only applies if that many heroes are in the
game.

The Chapter card appears to show that you now have a 1-2 player icon above a keyword, so no number in parentheses?

Great spot – Tom designed that cool people logo instead, will get it updated, cheers.

firewizard wrote:
Quote:
Attribute value (Finale only) – the attribute the hero
must Test to defeat this card.

The attribute appears to be on the Totem card (incorrectly?) and partially hidden on the Finale card.

Thanks again, anything else you see like this – keep ‘em coming, and I’ll let you all know once we’ve cut off for the print deadline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Logus Vile wrote:

BoardGameBliss will be stocking copies – so big thanks to whoever recommended them (was that you, Logus??)!

Awesome!! I did suggest them. I'll be one of the first to pre-order as soon as I see it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

Logus Vile wrote:

Awesome!! I did suggest them. I'll be one of the first to pre-order as soon as I see it up.

Nice one, cheers Logus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would join in the proofreading but I keep stopping at the front page art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
I would join in the proofreading but I keep stopping at the front page art

Chris, your proofreading for the game in the past has already been nothing short of brilliant, and whilst I love that you're enjoying the art, I hope that you at least make it as far as the credits on page 2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good LORD, man, that is hands down the best art I've seen in a game in years. Ania should be incredibly proud! And I really appreciate the fact that it's all of a piece - really helps the immersion factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best art I've seen in a game...period. Ania just mic dropped on the whole boardgame world and set a new bar. Boom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
Good LORD, man, that is hands down the best art I've seen in a game in years. Ania should be incredibly proud! And I really appreciate the fact that it's all of a piece - really helps the immersion factor.

Thanks so much for your feedback. Typos and error checks are awesome (it’s like having 2,000 free sub-editors) but this stuff is absolute gravy for us, and reminds us we’re on the right track – cheers!

skyzero wrote:
Best art I've seen in a game...period. Ania just mic dropped on the whole boardgame world and set a new bar. Boom.

wow Just… thank you from both of us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From working my way through the rules in breaks today:

Page 9, "Plots": Card image missing a number (4) "To Defeat"

Page 12, Event popout in bottom-right: typo "immediatley"

Page 14, right-hand-side: "Stranger: NB:" (what's the NB for?)
then a little further down: "If the hero gains no successes in this Test
and hashad none in previous tests"

Page 17, 3rd para right column, repeat of "keyword followed by number in parentheses" error. This time with an associated example.

Pages 17/18 Action: Regale, rule contradiction:
"Restriction: Hero has not already performed a Regale Action
during this same Daylight Phase."
"add the successes gained to any previous successes this hero has
gained from performing previous Tests against this finale this
day"
(I assume that the restriction should only apply to completing chapters not the finale)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now down to the reference section.

Page 19, Stage 2: Evasion Opportunity
"If the hero’s Sneak value is higher than the foe’s the hero may choose to succeed at this Sneak Test automatically"
What? You can bypass the Test? But if my sneak value was lower then I'm always going to fail as I don't have enough dice to get successes on, so when would you perform the Test?

Page 20, Deed: Assault
The bullet points should be in the box with the Note.

Page 23, Night Phase, Step 3e "this Day" should be "the previous Day"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
From working my way through the rules in breaks today:

Page 9, "Plots": Card image missing a number (4) "To Defeat"

Page 12, Event popout in bottom-right: typo "immediatley"

Page 14, right-hand-side: "Stranger: NB:" (what's the NB for?)
then a little further down: "If the hero gains no successes in this Test
and hashad none in previous tests"

Page 17, 3rd para right column, repeat of "keyword followed by number in parentheses" error. This time with an associated example.

Pages 17/18 Action: Regale, rule contradiction:
"Restriction: Hero has not already performed a Regale Action
during this same Daylight Phase."
"add the successes gained to any previous successes this hero has
gained from performing previous Tests against this finale this
day"
(I assume that the restriction should only apply to completing chapters not the finale)

Great stuff, cheers Robin! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
Now down to the reference section.

Page 19, Stage 2: Evasion Opportunity
"If the hero’s Sneak value is higher than the foe’s the hero may choose to succeed at this Sneak Test automatically"
What? You can bypass the Test? But if my sneak value was lower then I'm always going to fail as I don't have enough dice to get successes on, so when would you perform the Test?

The idea is you can always evade if you're Sneaky enough. If you aren't, you can still boost your Sneak by using Fate, you'll probably want to roll first to see if evading is actually achievable though. And you'll still need to roll if your Sneak is equal to the enemy's. Sneaking is a powerful method for travelling the land safely, providing you remember to hide first.

firewizard wrote:
Page 20, Deed: Assault
The bullet points should be in the box with the Note.

Good catch!

firewizard wrote:
Page 23, Night Phase, Step 3e "this Day" should be "the previous Day"?

No, because it's still referencing the same Day. Days are split into two phases: Daylight and Night (p10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.