Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quick question about what happens when landing craft are carrying SP and the ALT roll becomes a fail or mixed result.

18.5e in the OCS rules (v4.2) states:
"Transport Points and SP cannot be landed by ALT."

Sicily IIs ALT table for Failed rolls says:
"LC and at least 1/2 of cargo are destroyed"
And mixed results says:
"LC are destroyed"

18.5f says:
"When losses are required by the ALT roll randomly choose the lost Landing craft and cargo" (which implies some of the cargo destroyed may not be the SP).

Presumably the mixed result is better so no cargo is destroyed.

So...

When SP is cargo on an LC and the ALT roll is mixed or failure, is that a weird way to get SP landed which can then be used as normal and no longer subject to 18.5e? Or, does 18.5e take precedence and all SP as cargo is lost, in particular from a failure result?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
On a Mixed result the cargo that isn't landed via ALT will sink with the LC.

Tricks:

SP on a DUKW can land via ALT.

If you have SP on an LC, do not have that LC roll for ALT. (You will sometimes have to make it part of an ALT, for instance when you have 2T and a tank battalion on an LC.) But if a full SP is on an LC, it need never be part of an ALT roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Thanks so much for the quick answer John!

Troy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kisner wrote:
But if a full SP is on an LC, it need never be part of an ALT roll.

Hi, John.

Does that mean that the SP can be unloaded into that coastal hex? Or does the LC have to stay in that hex until adjacent units utilize the supply?

Thanks. Having a lot of fun with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mb
Hey Gerry-

SPs and Transport Pts can never land via the ALT. They must use a port to land. (incl an LST port, though not in the same phase in which it's created) Any SPs loaded on an LC can be used only by being drawn by adjacent/ costacked units. See OCS 18.5e. If the LC sinks, any SPs loaded on it also sink. No rummaging for usable ammo in the surf...

DUKWs do allow SPs to use the ALT, though only through being loaded on the duck when it converts to land "mode" after passing its ALT roll.

Note the favorable drms on the Sicily-2 ALT for nearby CVs and surface combatants. (and the terrain drms) Landing need not be all that dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nolan,

I'm starting to get the hang of it and almost edited/deleted my question. The thing I'm still having problems with is watching the AAR that's being done here on BGG. It seems to me that if you make all of the LCs 3 pointers then you only have one ALT roll per landing. But in the AAR he talks about some LCs 'taking a hit' (paraphrasing). I don't get that. Either the LC sinks or has a successful landing. I don't see how it can be 'in between' so to speak.

Still really enjoying the game. I don't usually solo game but I've put a lot of hours into this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mb
LC are done in Points, so that "an" LC would be only one point. A _stack_ of LC is treated as a single ship during barrage, so that a single barrage hit would sink only one Point. (given the other rules for naval barrage, such as DG'ing the stack)

On the ALT, however, a Sunk result applies to the entire "packet" of 3 LC. (i posted the rule over on csw, it's 18.5f[B]) Beach Assault is similar except that required [by failure] losses include every LC whose occupants participate. (18.6)

I haven't seen the AAR, unless you're talking about Ric's article in Operational Matters. Reference to loss of one LC point to the ALT would be possible only where that LC was the only point in its Packet. (that in turn is possible only once in a given stack due to the "fewest possible rolls" part of the rule.)

Hope you're enjoying this game. It plays surprisingly like its older brother, "Big" Sicily. (naturally that makes this one Little Sicily arrrh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.