BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any must have expansion for those games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello!! It's me again!!

I would like to know if there is any "must have" expansion(s) I should have for those games :

Claustrophobia
Dead Winter : crossroads
Dungeon Petz
Eldritch Horror (well it seems Forsaken Lake is a must have, but i can't find it anywhere except at crazy prices, waiting for it to hit stores!!)
Robinson Crusoe : Cursed island
Zombicide

Thank you for any input!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Robinson there are some additional, official scenarios from Portal that you can print out. If you ever want to play Robinson more than 6 times, I'd call those essential, especially based on price-preformance ratio. But if you never get to the point that you play it six times, you can stick to the 6 original scenarios and even saves the few coppers for the ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the De Profundis expansion for Claustrophobia, and really think it adds a lot to the game. New scenarios, new characters and abilities for both sides, and lots of new and interesting map tiles. I would only say it's essential if you've played the original scenarios to death - the base game has a lot of replay-ability as is.

The Long Night is a standalone expansion for Dead of Winter that adds a few new modules and rule changes. It plays well enough on it's own (despite having less replay-ability than the base game due to smaller decks of cards), but is a bit of a pain to mix the two together - you end up with diluted crossroads and character decks, and either have to deck build the locations decks, or add significant randomness to them (you could well shuffle out all the food from the grocery store, for instance). I wouldn't say it's essential, just a nice thing to have if you've played all the scenarios in the base game a lot.

Dark Alleys is a great little expansion for Dungeon Petz, that adds lots of cool new elements to the game. However, it does up the complexity, the down time between turns and the housekeeping significantly, so only get it if you and your gaming group play the game a lot and have the rules down pretty solid. It does really add some nice touches to what is already a really good game.

Any of the small box expansions for Eldritch Horror horror in my eyes are essential. You're right in thinking that Forsaken Lore is the best one to go for, as it increases the size of all of the base game decks significantly. However you will of course find, as the game is fantastic, that you end up wanting more and more content! I would get the small boxes in order of release first, and then consider getting the big box expansions too if you're after new AOOs to play against, and some interesting side missions and mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
For Robinson there are some additional, official scenarios from Portal that you can print out. If you ever want to play Robinson more than 6 times, I'd call those essential, especially based on price-preformance ratio. But if you never get to the point that you play it six times, you can stick to the 6 original scenarios and even saves the few coppers for the ink.

Disagree immensely.
Played Robinson alot and we still have 2 unplayed scenarios.
The scenarios are in no way play once and be done with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:

Disagree immensely.

Plus there are plenty of BGG created ones to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:

Disagree immensely.

I agree. I still enjoy playing the very first one many times.

For Claustrophobia, I have all of it and the De Profundis, is great. The 3rd is OK. The monster is cool, but not must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dead of Winter - The Long Night is the better base game but not a good expansion for the original Dead of Winter. If you don't have DoW yet you might just buy that one.

Eldritch Horror greatly improves with some of it's expansions. I am not a great fan of the game but I liked Forsaken Lore the one time I played it.

Dungeon Petz Dark Alleys is a solid expansion but I wouldn't say it's essential. The base game works very fine without it and since it's basically a euro I can see it being played a lot without any expansions needed.

Robinson Crusoe - Schatzkiste just adds some fancy components that you can use instead of the original cubes. And it offers some scenarios that you can print yourself. So don't get that one!
But I enjoy Voyage of the Beagle a lot. It adds a little bit of complexity but mainly it's an additional campaign that is super fun for fans of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmodee has free scenarios for Claustrophobia on their webpage, or at least they did at one time.

I enjoy the base game a lot, but I haven't played it enough to really need the expansions yet. I even own De Profundis, but I haven't opened it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:

Disagree immensely.

Probably we just misunderstood each other immensly?
I wrote that there are additional, official scenarios that come (almost) for free and therefore I recommend to print them out in case the OP actually has any need for them. I pointed out that the additional scenarios are not needed if he is unlikely to even finish the base game scenarios.
By no words I said that one cannot enjoy multiple plays of a scenarios (personally I've already played the first one three time, with different people).
Especially when playing with the same group it still may possibly be more fun to try a new scenario instead of playing a one you already know again, if you have the choice?
So much more replayability (I guess we agree that 8 scenarios grant more replayability than 5) for a few coppers - that's why I called them essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
Spukky wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:

Disagree immensely.

Probably we just misunderstood each other immensly?
I wrote that there are additional, official scenarios that come (almost) for free and therefore I recommend to print them out in case the OP actually has any need for them. I pointed out that the additional scenarios are not needed if he is unlikely to even finish the base game scenarios.
By no words I said that one cannot enjoy multiple plays of a scenarios (personally I've already played the first one three time, with different people).
Especially when playing with the same group it still may possibly be more fun to try a new scenario instead of playing a one you already know again, if you have the choice?
So much more replayability (I guess we agree that 8 scenarios grant more replayability than 5) for a few coppers - that's why I called them essential.

I imagine the disagreement was the portion when you say "if you ever want to play more than 6 times." Your statement made it sound as if playing a scenario reveals hidden information that would ruin playing it again. Not agreeing or disagreeing, just that that's how it could come across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really recommend Zombicide: Toxic City Mall for Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.