$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone! I was playing my first solo game as the Arverni and when the first Winter came I noticed that Caesar and some of his troops were in a region (Pictones) that as far as my understanding goes was part of a supply line: it was not controlled and there were other Aedui-controlled regions all the way to Cisalpina (Bituriges, Aedui and Sequani; both Aedui and Roman were bots). I as Arverni controlled the Arverni home region, Carnutes and Veneti. Bituriges and Arverni were devastated.

I understood that to quarter Romans could move to any adjacent, non-devastated regions under friendly control, but that was impossible in this case, because Arverni controlled everything except Bituriges (controlled by the Aedui but devastated), so as Caesar had run out of resources some of those troops starved. There were some auxilia there which could have scouted some turns ago to control Carnutes, but as there was already a supply line and I couldn’t find any rule saying that it was interrupted by devastation, they just stayed put and scouted some of my warbands.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
I think you are overlooking something: during Quarters the Romans have two moves. First they get to move units to an adjacent non-devastated province under friendly control, which you did. But after that they also get to move any auxilia or legions in supply back to Provincia, as desired.

Quote:
6.3.3 Romans. The Romans may relocate any Legions, Auxilia, and Roman Leader on the map to adjacent, un-Devastated Regions under Roman Control or Control of a Faction that agrees (not No Control nor German Control, 1.6). Then, the Romans may relocate any Legions and Auxilia from Supply Line Regions (3.2.1, determined at this time for the rest of the Quarters Phase) and then the Roman Leader from any Region to Provincia.

The Roman bot always takes this opportunity when possible:

Quote:
8.8.7 Quarters. During the Quarters Phase (6.3.3), the Non-player Romans keep one Auxilia at each Fort and Roman Ally. The Roman Leader, all Legions, and all other Auxilia that are able to reach Provincia—including by first moving to an adjacent Supply Line Region—move to Provincia.

Since devastation does not stop supply lines, the Roman units in Pictones would use the supply line to retreat back to Provincia for the winter. I have found that cutting off the Roman supply lines can be a challenge, but it is very useful for the Arverni to do if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, thanks. I was about to resume play where I left it, so I'll just revive those legions and auxilia and put them in Provincia. Numidians are up, my poor Arverni are in for a real treat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Jesse,
Thanks again for your help but I have another question: if Arverni had been in control of the region where the Romans were, they would indeed have starved, as they were not in a supply line and they couldn't move out. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RicardoDubcek wrote:
Hi Jesse,
Thanks again for your help but I have another question: if Arverni had been in control of the region where the Romans were, they would indeed have starved, as they were not in a supply line and they couldn't move out. Right?
Correct.
Note though that even "starving" units have a 50% chance to remain on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.