Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest» Forums » General

Subject: what is wrong with the companion ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm interested to buy DS for a full coop oriented play. But I can read everywhere that the companion suck and is badly implemented due to a late add to the standard rules ...

Ok but what is exactly the issue with ? Is it playable or it's only a source of unplayable frustration ?

I play game like shadow of brimstone or descent v2 with the Redjak's ramv variant where the monster AI is not perfect but really playable. How it's possible to provide a less enjoyable experience than these games when you you have a really basic AI for the first one and a more evoluated AI for the second but for a game not designed to be playable with ?

Maybe some example to illustrate the issue could clarify it ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
https://quirkworthy.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/ds-adv-comp-...

That is the text for the AC. The AI rules are without a doubt poorly presented. After that the decision of whether you like them is how much input you really want to provide. Some people think they are fine. Other people like me say it feels like I am playing a drunk version of myself.

My notes of the AI are here:
http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2015/11/dungeon-saga-adventu...

I also revised the rules to be more deterministic based on Primary, Secondary, Tertiary criteria:
http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2016/03/dungeon-saga-invisib...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play a solitaire uncharted dungeon campaign. Solitaire, uncharted, and campaign are seperate sections of the Adventuerer's Companion and I had a hard time trying to figure out how to integrate the systems. The rules are done in a narrative style so it's difficult to find specific rules. The AC also lacks examples of play.

Some uncharted dungeon cards have you set up trap tokens but no real explanation how they trigger. The heroes can see where the traps are so why would you purposely move onto a space that has one.

I gave up and just started playing the base game solitaire. The AC has a lot of great ideas in it and can be great if they give it a proper 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lots of people wanted to combine Uncharted and Solo and you are right it is quite a issue. The whole map trap system needs to be redone also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answer,

You did a great job eriochrome, really impressive.

Through your modification/clarification I understood is not the rule itself but the lack of detail and how to play some situation the issue ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
I changed some of the rules slightly (like having attack always attack with the strongest dice available on the table and move models into attacking positions over choosing models already there) but in general it just needed some more details/specifics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
So if we take your modification the game will become fully playable/balanced/enjoyable without remaining issue and we can concider the initial complain no more justified ? whistle

So in addition I'm interested by the feeling of peoples who played SoB or/and descent v2 (with RtL app or RAMV) compared to DS. Is it not too redundant ? (I already have SoB and descent v2)

Many thanks for your answer,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the progression for the overlord wasnt done too well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Skouic wrote:
So if we take your modification the game will become fully playable/balanced/enjoyable without remaining issue and we can concider the initial complain no more justified ? whistle

So in addition I'm interested by the feeling of peoples who played SoB or/and descent v2 (with RtL app or RAMV) compared to DS. Is it not too redundant ? (I already have SoB and descent v2)

My modification makes the game more playable with IO. I am not sure if it is balanced as it makes the IO pretty brutal depending on the mission. The IO system balances out the lack of really interesting overlord cards and ideal timing of playing those cards by providing more interrupts and activations than the overlord normally gets. In some missions when their are enough models and Pile of Bones to use those it can get pretty tough.

The good thing is that you do not lose by time out since the monsters actually kill you. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
waynez wrote:
I thought the progression for the overlord wasnt done too well.

This discussion was purely focused on the IO in published missions. I agree that there is essentially no Overlord progression in the AC in any meaningful way. Uncharted outside building the dungeons tile shape was done poorly and combining Uncharted and IO is a nightmare so much that I do not even think the author considered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skouic
France
flag msg tools
What is uncharted and IO mode ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I give a break down of the rules/guidelines in the AC here:

http://ezeqiel09.wixsite.com/the-delvers-tome/uncharted

http://ezeqiel09.wixsite.com/the-delvers-tome/invisible-over...

You need the cards to use the system, but that's the basic framework of how they are used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skouic wrote:

I have not played SoB or descent v2 with RtL app or RAMV. But I have played Warhammer Quest (both classic and Silver Tower), the new Dungeon and Dragons boardgames and Advanced HeroQuest, and I can tell you they are by far better experiences than Dungeon Saga.

Ironically, Dungeon Saga is the one with the more potential, and it could be the best and most sophisticated experience if polished enough.
But in its current state it needs too much of house rules / fixes / input that I'm not willing to put, and it ends up in frustration and ugliness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.