3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Monster Raising Card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarreth Armstrong
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi there, first time posting but I've been around the site a few times. I'm currently working on a card game where players have to raise one of eight possible monsters that will grow into abominations of nature over the course of the game. I've gotten the basic framework of it done, what cards do what and I intend to make up a rough physical build of it for testing hopefully in a few days. As to how the game works:

The adorable little killing machines are dealt out to the players (Maximum of 4) the players then draw three cards from what are known as the Trait Deck and the Attack Deck respectively so thus six cards in hand.

Trait cards can be one of five things that can be equipped to a monster. All monsters having five slots to equip stuff to: Head, Body, Tail, Forelimbs and Back-limbs. If you equip something to a slot that already has a trait then the previous one is discarded.

Attack cards come in four types: Melee, Ranged, Special and Defense. Melee cards can only be used to attack the player to the user's left but as a trade-off deal more damage than any other card. Ranged can hit any player but deal less damage. Defense cards have effects that lessen or prevent damage and Special cards are effects that don't fit any of the other three categories.

Every player can attach one Trait card a turn to their monster and use any other trait cards as food for their monster, placing those cards face-down in their 'Food Area'.

After this everyone takes turns Foraging for food from the Food Deck, putting the top card face-down into their Food Area.

Then the Combat Phase happens where everyone places down a card they wish to use then take turns flipping them up from the turn player onward and resolving the effects. A monster dealing a direct hit on another enables them to take one card in that monster's food area and add it to their own.

The Upkeep Phase then happens where everyone flips the cards in their Food Area face-up then tallies up how much food they have. If it is equal to or greater than the total cost they need they may equip one of the trait cards to their monster. If they have less than the required number their monster must discard a trait, if any, then take 5 damage.

Then the turn ends and whoever was the first player this turn passes that role to the player on their left, shifting the turn order.

There is more to it than this but this is as bare bones on how a game goes, not including monsters changing form as the game goes as I think that's not important til I get the rest sorted. I actually really want to work on this concept and I'm willing to put the effort in to make it happen as this is an idea I like. Just hoping someone else can see the potential in the idea of keeping a little monster alive and at the top of the food chain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like a good idea. Keep working and let us know how the playtests go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarreth Armstrong
Australia
flag msg tools
Will do, I've been working on the system and it looks alright. I'm planning on doing a cert in business on my end and get some funding as I go because I genuinely wanna keep going with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.