BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Help needed with pizza dough bubbling problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carol palmer
Canada
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I intended to make evenly-flat pizza but it was a failure as the pizza produced huge bubbles. Can more kneading help me avodd buubbles? I did stretch dough with a rolling pin before placing it in oven. Meanwhile I would like to experiment with Greek Feast pizza I found at Freshslice.Can anyone guide me on how to get this yummy feast pizzas ready? How can bubbles be avoided?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.pizzatoday.com/departments/in-the-kitchen/prevent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, use a fork and make holes across the span of the pizza. This gives the gas a way to get out without pushing a bubble up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
get a dough docker,i used to work at a round table. they work really well, but if you dont rest your dough for a while before cookie, it's going to bubble like crazy. we had a metal poker we used to pop pizza bubbles in the oven. friday nights, it was a full time job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
mauigreen wrote:
get a dough docker,i used to work at a round table.

The biggest thing I miss from California is Round Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
More kneading would give the dough more strength to hold on to the bubbles.
Push it into the pan by hand-- forget the rolling pin. It's the air trapped under a flattened crust that makes big bubbles.

It's also possible that you didn't allow the dough enough time to rise initially. I typically start a pizza dough at 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning and let it rise until 5:00 before putting it into the pan.
Don't worry about getting it right to the edges because it will spring back.
Then, if you let it sit for 5 minutes untouched, the dough relaxes and you can get it out to the edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also try by reducing your ratio of yeast and sugar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Be kind.
mbmbmbmbmb
carol palmer wrote:
How can buboes be avoided?

While some believe buboes are caused by doom-laden planetary conjunctions or "bad air" the truth is that they are the result of too much Yersina pestis in the dough. You should have your flat gassed for possible vectors, starting with hobos, working your way down through aardvarks and such, and finally to rats and the ever-elusive rats-with-faces-of-men.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Help needed with pizza dough bubbling problem & "avodd buubbles"
You 'neglected' too 'address' upon them: "avodd buubbles"! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Try this: don't put any sugar into the dough - the yeast can take the sugar it needs from the flour (only put sugar into a yeast dough if you wanna have a sweet dish). And reduce the amount of yeast - pizza dough does not need that much yeast.

Then take your time with the dough - you wanna make it rise twice.

First rise: like you'd normally do it - at room temperature or slightly warmer, until the dough has doubled it's size.

Second rise: knead the dough again, divide it into the portions you'll later need, put these portions into saran wrap and put them into the fridge for 24 hours.

Yes, this takes time, but the result will be a way better dough for pizza.

Cheers,

Matthias
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
shake ALSO DO NOT WANT "watermelons" upon your 'feet' during this! Afterwards, you decide? googoo -"Avocado Goggles"-ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carol palmer
Canada
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I even tried poking the bubbles in the crust while baking, dough docker seesm to be a solution. But I have never usd this. Which one would be a best one available in the market. I hope it is available easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carol palmer wrote:
I even tried poking the bubbles in the crust while baking, dough docker seesm to be a solution. But I have never usd this. Which one would be a best one available in the market. I hope it is available easily

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"My wife is driving me crazy with nagging! I came back from the store with everything on the list she gave me and now she's all on my case because I forgot ONE little kid."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Also, use a fork and make holes across the span of the pizza. This gives the gas a way to get out without pushing a bubble up.

This is what my wife does: she "docks" the flattened dough all over with a regular fork. She still gets the occasional bubble, but they aren't very big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
mauigreen wrote:
get a dough docker,i used to work at a round table.

The biggest thing I miss from California is Round Table.

I've lived in California for 18 years and never been to a Round Table. Place called Toppers on the other hand, is perfection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

This is what my wife does: she "docks" the flattened dough all over with a regular fork. She still gets the occasional bubble, but they aren't very big.

I have never had a problem with bubbles, and I make pizza at least once a month at home.
Too much yeast in the OPs recipe? As you can see below, 2 1/2 tsps is enough for two large doughs.
I have 3 different crust recipes-- thin, chewy, and deep dish.
My family much prefers the chewy one:

Makes 2- 12" round

3 cups all-purpose white flour
1/2 cup fine or medium grain corn meal-- do not use cornflour or it gets gummy
1 packet of instant-rise dried yeast (2 1/2 tsps)*
1 tsp salt

Mix flours and yeast/ salt with a fork in a big bowl, or use a mixmaster with a dough hook. I've done this all in a food processor before, as well, but only for a half recipe.

Add 1 1/2 cups warm water.

*Alternate-- if using "regular" yeast, add 1/4 tsp of sugar to the warm water and add the yeast. Stir and allow to get foamy (10 minutes), then add it all to the flours and follow the rest of the procedure.

Mix by hand or let the machine do it.
If mixing by hand, throw the ball of dough down on the counter-- hard-- about 6 times, knead and then repeat. Noisy but it works.
If using the dough hook you have to make sure your machine doesn't wiggle off of the counter, so don't use too much speed.
I never have to knead by hand if making it in the mixmaster.
If using the food processor, it will come into a shaggy ball pretty quick, so you need to stop and do the rest by hand.

If the dough is still too dry, add up to 1/4 cup of water, a few tbs at a time.
If you overdo it on the water, add more flour 1 tbs at a time until you get a nice dough. It should be slightly sticky but kneading will make it soft and easy to handle. Wetter is better than drier.

Put into a bowl that has a bit of olive oil in it, and swirl the dough around in the oil.
Cover with saran wrap and allow to rise in a warm place-- room temperature is often warm enough.

As I mentioned earlier, I let it rise at least 4 hours, and even up to 6 hours on the countertop. If you have a lot of time, you can put it in the fridge overnight (10 -12 hours) but let it warm up to room temperature before using.

Heat oven to 450F (230C)

Cut the ball of dough in half and press the dough directly into a lightly greased (spray oil or olive oil) pan.
This is where you want to avoid trapping a bubble of air under it, but really it is dead simple to avoid that.

Work it from the center out with the heel of your palm, stretching it a bit with your fingers every time you get close to the edges. It will usually "spring back" somewhat. Don't fight it too hard.
Get it close to the edges at least. Let sit 5 minutes without touching and then spread it some more.
It will also grow toward the edges as it bakes.

Satisfaction guaranteed- tested in my kitchen 100+ times.

If anyone wants a deep-dish (soft and airy) or a thin crispy crust recipe, geekmail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.