$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 97.83

6,240 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Selecting Provinces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got our first game coming up this weekend, with 4 players, and I have a question about selecting provinces:

I was thinking that we would leave out the gray province as an option, that way each player was immediately adjacent to 1 other player; no more, no less. Otherwise, it could lead to one person being more isolated (adjacent to no one) as well as 1 or 2 people next to 2 other neighbors.

Firstly, is this even that big of a deal, should I bother? (everybody is still 2 moves away at worst)

Second, I understand that the provinces are unique and their backgrounds may come into effect later so I am worried that purposefully removing a province needlessly narrows our story opportunities... again should I just leave it up to fate or go ahead and try to spread this out?

Should I instead limit a color based on similar color scheme? (perhaps purple and gray are too close in palette to see from across the table)

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have a look at the map?
The distance between any Provinces is the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We are playing 5 so that takes care of all the Provinces.

I chose a Province for each player based upon their personal character and histories - you could do that, or let players choose in some random way, or let players choose a color then get that colored Province.

JR Honeycutt says in another thread that the back messages are not flavor text and they are balanced for every player - so I am not sure how that affects 4 players BUT the game does list 3-5 players as the best amount so I don't think leaving one Province out will change things that much. This is only an opinion, of course, I have not yet started the game.

I am starting the game with the rule that coastal waters are there so that each Province is exactly 1 sail away from each other. That way players may raid anyone they choose with the same movement. Also, in a 5 player game, gray would be at a disadvantage and green and purple at an advantage if Provinces were 1-2 moves away from each other.

Also, if coastal waters are always one sail, then any player may sail into the sea or return from any place on the board to their Province - maybe this is a bad idea - I will have my player group discuss and be comfortable with whatever ruling is made.

Would appreciate more feedback on this last issue.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Did you have a look at the map?
The distance between any Provinces is the same.


I did, and I read the rules and FAQ. Provinces are also spaces. So if you have a ship in a province harbor it could either sail into coastal waters OR sail directly from harbor to harbor. As such, provinces with more immediate neighbors could be more susceptible to raids as even a fully damaged ship could still reach them.

thomasrobb wrote:
I am starting the game with the rule that coastal waters are there so that each Province is exactly 1 sail away from each other. That way players may raid anyone they choose with the same movement. Also, in a 5 player game, gray would be at a disadvantage and green and purple at an advantage if Provinces were 1-2 moves away from each other.


If you are concerned about this, you could just require people to go through coastal waters first and make it 2 moves.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Firstly, is this even that big of a deal, should I bother? (everybody is still 2 moves away at worst)


I think it's completely trivial and unimportant (at least, based on the information at start) and not worth worrying about.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
I was thinking that we would leave out the gray province as an option, that way each player was immediately adjacent to 1 other player; no more, no less. Otherwise, it could lead to one person being more isolated (adjacent to no one) as well as 1 or 2 people next to 2 other neighbors.

...

Thoughts?

An additional data point: JR has hinted that there will at some point in the campaign be some degree of asymmetry related to the background stories for each faction.

I suspect that the distance question will end up being fairly trivial; the only time it will have an impact is if you raid a non-adjacent province SPECIFICALLY with your speed 2 ship BEFORE upgrading its speed to three AND end up drawing a damage card reducing your speed. In any other circumstance, you will still be one sail action from your home port.

I would say that allowing playing to guide potential factional asymmetry outweighs the very slight chance of that scenario playing out. And if you're still concerned, J Kaemmer's suggestion is a simple solution.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the back of the player boards, each little story has it's own theme. I was going to offer my players a choice as they arrive corresponding to one of those themes. I will do so by asking the question:

"From whence comes the greatest power?"

The answers (based on the player boards) will be:

1. Wealth & Land
2. Knowledge & Wisdom
3. Perseverance & Dedication
4. Connections & Family
5. Reputation & Legacy

So when the first player arrives, I will ask them the question, and present them with two random choices (say, 1 and 4). When the next arrives, I will present them with 2 of the remaining 4 random choices, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I suspect that the distance question will end up being fairly trivial; the only time it will have an impact is if you raid a non-adjacent province SPECIFICALLY with your speed 2 ship BEFORE upgrading its speed to three AND end up drawing a damage card reducing your speed. In any other circumstance, you will still be one sail action from your home port.


This. And if it is a concern for a player, just tell them to upgrade their bigger ship to Sail 3 after Game 1 (which I suspect at least 25% of people will do anyways) and they don't have to worry about it anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
This. And if it is a concern for a player, just tell them to upgrade their bigger ship to Sail 3 after Game 1 (which I suspect at least 25% of people will do anyways) and they don't have to worry about it anymore.


I guess you're making some assumption about the maximum amount the speed of a ship can be reduced? I'm not sure there's a valid basis for such an assumption (i.e., that a ship with natural speed 3 will always have effective speed at least 2). However, I continue to think that this particular issue (adjacency or non-adjacency of provinces) is almost completely immaterial. If it matters at all, it's going to matter in some way that is unlocked later, rather than having to do with ship speed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Slyght wrote:
This. And if it is a concern for a player, just tell them to upgrade their bigger ship to Sail 3 after Game 1 (which I suspect at least 25% of people will do anyways) and they don't have to worry about it anymore.


I guess you're making some assumption about the maximum amount the speed of a ship can be reduced? I'm not sure there's a valid basis for such an assumption (i.e., that a ship with natural speed 3 will always have effective speed at least 2). However, I continue to think that this particular issue (adjacency or non-adjacency of provinces) is almost completely immaterial. If it matters at all, it's going to matter in some way that is unlocked later, rather than having to do with ship speed.


Are you just following me around from thread to thread just to disagree with me?

The only modifier to ships that would reduce speed is damage cards (at least where I am in the campaign), and I believe there are only 1-2 damage cards that reduce Sail -1. I don't have the exact inventory of damage cards in front of me, but assuming there are 2, that would be a 10% chance of getting Sail -1 on a single damage card draw, 19.47% chance of getting Sail -1 between two damage cards, and a 0.2% chance of getting Sail -2 total on two damage cards. Odds would of course change if damage cards had already been drawn from the deck.

It's possible that this information could change as more content is unlocked, but I think that's a caveat for just about anything we say until we've unlocked all the content.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
If you read the back of the player boards, each little story has it's own theme. I was going to offer my players a choice as they arrive corresponding to one of those themes. I will do so by asking the question:

"From whence comes the greatest power?"

The answers (based on the player boards) will be:

1. Wealth & Land
2. Knowledge & Wisdom
3. Perseverance & Dedication
4. Connections & Family
5. Reputation & Legacy

So when the first player arrives, I will ask them the question, and present them with two random choices (say, 1 and 4). When the next arrives, I will present them with 2 of the remaining 4 random choices, etc.


That is a very fun way of randomizing the provinces!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
Are you just following me around from thread to thread just to disagree with me?


Yes, yes, I am. So happy that you noticed.

Ok, maybe I am not following you but the comment gave me a laugh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:

An additional data point: JR has hinted that there will at some point in the campaign be some degree of asymmetry related to the background stories for each faction.


I believe this happens at the start of the first game after the prologue (minor non-specific spoiler follows)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
At the start of Game 1, each player reads the back of their province board and goes to a journal entry in the Captain's Booke keyed to their province. Each leads to a decision with differing rewards related to the province's history.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bridger wrote:
If you read the back of the player boards, each little story has it's own theme. I was going to offer my players a choice as they arrive corresponding to one of those themes. I will do so by asking the question:

"From whence comes the greatest power?"

The answers (based on the player boards) will be:

1. Wealth & Land
2. Knowledge & Wisdom
3. Perseverance & Dedication
4. Connections & Family
5. Reputation & Legacy

So when the first player arrives, I will ask them the question, and present them with two random choices (say, 1 and 4). When the next arrives, I will present them with 2 of the remaining 4 random choices, etc.


Remember that the player who gets the lowest ranked title is supposed to have first pick of provinces and leader portraits, so if you do it this way, you should probably give each player the lowest ranked remaining title when they make their selection(s).

Of course, I found a fun way to handle it with my group as well. "Choose your color but I bought the game so I call dibs on blue."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Of course, I found a fun way to handle it with my group as well. "Choose your color but I bought the game so I call dibs on blue."

You're playing blue? I'm so sorry...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kidding!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart L

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Becq wrote:

An additional data point: JR has hinted that there will at some point in the campaign be some degree of asymmetry related to the background stories for each faction.


I believe this happens at the start of the first game after the prologue (minor non-specific spoiler follows)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
At the start of Game 1, each player reads the back of their province board and goes to a journal entry in the Captain's Booke keyed to their province. Each leads to a decision with differing rewards related to the province's history.


Is that only for Game 1, not prologue? I haven't started yet but as I read it, it seemed like you'd do that in prologue...aren't players setting their captains/provinces during the prologue stage? Would seem the reading the history and than Booke entry would fit there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aganerral wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
Becq wrote:

An additional data point: JR has hinted that there will at some point in the campaign be some degree of asymmetry related to the background stories for each faction.


I believe this happens at the start of the first game after the prologue (minor non-specific spoiler follows)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
At the start of Game 1, each player reads the back of their province board and goes to a journal entry in the Captain's Booke keyed to their province. Each leads to a decision with differing rewards related to the province's history.


Is that only for Game 1, not prologue? I haven't started yet but as I read it, it seemed like you'd do that in prologue...aren't players setting their captains/provinces during the prologue stage? Would seem the reading the history and than Booke entry would fit there.


It's triggered by a First Game milestone. The one that activates immediately after setup but before the first turn of Game 1 (not the prologue).

Remember that almost nothing carries over from the prologue to the first game. The decisions you make are unimportant. The end of the prologue makes this exceptionally clear. The decision you make based on your province is more important and should not be performed during the prologue. Thematically, it doesn't even make sense during the prologue for reasons which the prologue will make obvious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.