Subject: Sufferin' succotash!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
That particular imprecation doesn't make a whole lot of sense, when you think about it.

Wikipedia wrote:
Succotash is a food dish consisting primarily of sweet corn with lima beans or other shell beans. Other ingredients may be added including tomatoes, green or sweet red peppers, and okra.

Are you suffering because you have to eat it?
Maybe; not too many people are fans of lima beans. You could pick those out, though.

I always thought that it was a hot dish, but it is more like a salad in general parlance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about the alliteration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love watching the videos of Jas. Townsend and Son:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I love watching the videos of Jas. Townsend and Son

What a coinky-dink! I posted two Jas. Townsend videos on this thread, yesterday: Earth Ovens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
It's all about the alliteration.

And the schhhh-aliva!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of either corn or lima beans. Actually Lima beans were the one food I detested more than anything else growing up. I had an epic battle with my parents over it when I was ten or so which ended up in me sitting at the dinner table for six hours refusing to eat them before they finally gave in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never minded lima beans.

It was fish and mushrooms that led to fights with my parents over whether I'd eat it or not. I still won't eat cooked fish (love sushi though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raw cabbage was my last stand vegetable.

I'd even eat turnips and beets. But not cabbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
<Insert George Carlin routine>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I'm not a fan of either corn or lima beans. Actually Lima beans were the one food I detested more than anything else growing up. I had an epic battle with my parents over it when I was ten or so which ended up in me sitting at the dinner table for six hours refusing to eat them before they finally gave in.

I once hid my Lima beans behind the dishwasher while the folks were out of the room. I'm not sure why they weren't suspicious when they came back to find I had 'finished' the loathsome veggies. Also, we moved shortly after that and occassionally I wonder when the new owners found the stash gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lima beans should be banned from the planet - and the universe.

Along with butter beans, raisins and shredded coconut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love lima beans and succotash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I likes me some succotash.

And here's an explanation. Dunno if it's the right one, but it is one.
Quote:
In the mid-1800s, during the Victorian era, there was a rejection of all profanity and so the common people developed a wide variety of malapropisms to avoid swearing on Holy names. Soon, one could hear Cripes and Crikey replace “Christ” and Dangnabit replace “G*d damn it” and Cheese ‘n’ Rice replace “Jesus Christ.” The phrase Suffering Succotash replaced “Suffering Savior.”

Now I'm wondering why Catholics don't have cheese 'n rice during their services....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
The great cartoonist Rube Goldberg, in his classic "crazy machine" cartoons, made several references to the "natural attraction" between corn and lima beans, given their desire to make succotash. So it must have been a pretty popular dish during the early years of the 20th century. Either that, or Rube really liked it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
I likes me some succotash.

And here's an explanation. Dunno if it's the right one, but it is one.
Quote:
In the mid-1800s, during the Victorian era, there was a rejection of all profanity and so the common people developed a wide variety of malapropisms to avoid swearing on Holy names. Soon, one could hear Cripes and Crikey replace “Christ” and Dangnabit replace “G*d damn it” and Cheese ‘n’ Rice replace “Jesus Christ.” The phrase Suffering Succotash replaced “Suffering Savior.”

Now I'm wondering why Catholics don't have cheese 'n rice during their services....

We used to sing ring around the rosey. For the life of me I never understood what the heck catch a nickel by the toe meant. It was only in my 30s that I found out what the original verse was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Lima beans should be banned from the planet - and the universe.

Along with butter beans, raisins and shredded coconut

No coconut here either. It can smell great in small amounts but all in all, I am not a coconut fan! And for the love of cookies; do not put coconut in cookies!

I say we begin the coconut-free cookie campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I love watching the videos of Jas. Townsend and Son:

This guy gets it right. Succotash is corn, lima beans, and fat back (or bacon). Nothing else is added (except salt and pepper). It is served hot. It is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.