$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 121.9

7,318 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board orientation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short of labeling everything in four different directions, people are going to be stuck reading things upside down or sideways.

At least when all the labels are oriented in one direction, my group can turn the board towards me. I can't process the board if the text is upside down or sideways and need to sit facing the text, while no one else in my group has that issue. So it works out for us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.


How else would you do it without a board the size of a roadsize billboard?

Have you seen this?:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/backings

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

    Fundamentally a decision between art and usability. There's no clean simple answer for most titles. For games without text and maps (Settlers, Nexus Ops, etc.) it's easy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not gotten irritated with the board design, but usually up until 4 players it's easy to avoid having someone upside down the board (the most annoying case). Beyond that player count, it's inevitable that some people will be upside down.

Still, anything that can alleviate the problem is welcome (and distributing the pain does not count: everybody having to deal with some upside down info)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.


How else would you do it without a board the size of a roadsize billboard?

Have you seen this?:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/backings



What am I looking for?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have no problem with upside down boards. In fact when I set up I most often set up the board upside down to me to be more friendly to my opponents, especially if I'm teaching the game.

If it works better for the board to be round like with Ave Roma then that's great for that game, but I don't require it. I actually prefer that the text be in one orientation on the board. This way I'm always reading upside down or sideways or right side up, rather than trying to read it in different directions in different areas of the board.

You know an odd thing I noticed when looking up your game is that the scoring track is upside down.... weird.
10 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
personally I find reading upside down easier and quicker than locating and reading what is orientated correctly for me. Like codenames I find it difficult to focus on the less prominent word so even if the bolded side is facing the other way thats what I'm reading.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
I have no problem with upside down boards. In fact when I set up I most often set up the board upside down to me to be more friendly to my opponents, especially if I'm teaching the game.

If it works better for the board to be round like with Ave Roma then that's great for that game, but I don't require it. I actually prefer that the text be in one orientation on the board. This way I'm always reading upside down or sideways or right side up, rather than trying to read it in different directions in different areas of the board.

You know an odd thing I noticed when looking up your game is that the scoring track is upside down.... weird.


Looking up my game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.

Maybe it's because I play only two players, but never had the problem with Robinson, we just sit on the same side of the board, it's long enough to encompass two players side by side.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
well... the one you referenced, Ave Roma
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
well... the one you referenced, Ave Roma


I see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps some sort of Lazy Susan to rotate the board?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, i agree that board orientation can have a negative impact on the game.

there have def been games where it's like oh there are a bunch of action cards over on the other side that i can't really read, so i'm largely going to pass on even bothering to get involved with them.

we tend to let newer players have the best board orientation when we game, i think that's the most fair...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
borsook wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.

Maybe it's because I play only two players, but never had the problem with Robinson, we just sit on the same side of the board, it's long enough to encompass two players side by side.


How would you feel if played with more players?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are circular boards like the one the OP mentioned, but I tend to don't like them. They only work with having areas repeated for each player (think fixed # of players) so they would have only a small central common area for the game. With a fixed board layout like that, they look to take up a lot table space. It works for the right games, but generally, not very economical space-wise (both table-top and for the board content). It may have that initial unique cool factor, but I prefer the aesthetics of a rectangular board better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
Perhaps some sort of Lazy Susan to rotate the board?


I remember a deluxe version of Scrabble had such a thing. Helped enormously since players turned the basic game and jumbled up the letters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
I have no problem with upside down boards. In fact when I set up I most often set up the board upside down to me to be more friendly to my opponents, especially if I'm teaching the game.

If it works better for the board to be round like with Ave Roma then that's great for that game, but I don't require it. I actually prefer that the text be in one orientation on the board. This way I'm always reading upside down or sideways or right side up, rather than trying to read it in different directions in different areas of the board.


Same here. I play a lot of game just 2-player with my wife and prefer to put the board in front of her, and thus I'm always on the other side reading upside down (yes I could be on her side, but prefer to be in front of her). But it's always like this (same orientation for me), thus it's easier (you get used to it, and actually for some games, it feels weird playing in front of the board instead of upside down). But yes, if the board can be round, why not. But it's not mandatory.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darlok wrote:
yep, i agree that board orientation can have a negative impact on the game.

there have def been games where it's like oh there are a bunch of action cards over on the other side that i can't really read, so i'm largely going to pass on even bothering to get involved with them.

we tend to let newer players have the best board orientation when we game, i think that's the most fair...


It is comforting to know I am not alone in this. I was starting to think I had some kind of weird psychological issue with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.


How else would you do it without a board the size of a roadsize billboard?

Have you seen this?:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/backings



What am I looking for?


Sorry about that!!!

Try this link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/878938288/the-lazy-game...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play more tile games like Carcassonne, Zombiecide, Clausrophobia, Shadows of brimstone No problem there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
How would you feel if played with more players?


I would agree that playing with the upside down board is not ideal and can be hard unless you're so familiar with the game you don't need to read the text anymore. But good thing I play most of my games solo, sometimes with 2-players max, and only on very rare occasions max of 4 players. With 4 players, 2 would be in front of the board and another player on each side, which isn't as bad as playing upside-down to the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Play more tile games like Carcassonne, Zombiecide, Clausrophobia, Shadows of brimstone :) No problem there.


Agreed. But wasn't my point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
I realise it isn't always possible but am I the only one to be a little annoyed at the orientation of some game boards? - that is they can only be read one way and correctly by one seated player. The other players have to read the board upside down else sideways. I am thinking Robinson Crusoe, the forthcoming Martians: A Story of Civilization and the like. Comparing these with my recent Kickstater purchase Ave Roma is quite a contrast.


How else would you do it without a board the size of a roadsize billboard?

Have you seen this?:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/backings



What am I looking for?


Sorry about that!!!

Try this link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/878938288/the-lazy-game...



Wow. Where did you find that? I am sort of pleased I missed it. It is very expensive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:
I have no problem with upside down boards. In fact when I set up I most often set up the board upside down to me


I'm always on the other side reading upside down . . . But it's always like this (same orientation for me), thus it's easier (you get used to it, and actually for some games, it feels weird playing in front of the board instead of upside down).


I agree. Yes, it does feel weird if the board is right-side-up for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.