47% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How good a collection could you easily build spending $15 per game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
As it says, what kind of collection could a gamer expect to build if they only spent $15 per game? Thanks to BBG, I've been able to acquire some great games at that price via deals-of-the-day, mega-sales and such, but that's not what this is about.

Rather, I'd like to see the best games that a new gamer could reasonably expect to acquire with $15 either being the usual sale price or a deal that comes up so often that it could be gotten with only minimal patience. Please note which is which.

From my collection:

Available everyday for $15 or less:
1) Star Realms or Colony wars
2) Timeline
3) Bohnannza
4) Code Names
5) Forbidden Island

VERY Often on sale for $15 or less
1) Seeland
2) LotR deckbuilders (FotR, TT, RotK)
3) Carcassone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hesse
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne can be gotten for $15 often enough, and the expansion are always around for around that.

If you are buying used games $15 can go a long way, I bet over half my collection I got for $15 or less per game...than again the other have I spent a fair amount more than $15 per game....maybe it evens out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardgames are your bread and butter at that price point.

Sushi Go
Resistance
Bohnanza

Innovation and The Grizzled get close....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gordon Show
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go is always available for under $15 and I'm sure you could easily find Sushi Go Party (a great upgrade!) on sale for $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much my whole collection, minus maybe 100 titles.

Pete (tends to drop his bidder card at about $17)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how much you go thrift shopping or buying used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buying used made my collection. But my common recommendation for cheap but big bang for you buck is Spyrium. Though for a new gamer I would +1 carcassonne, I consider it a keystone in any collection and may always be my most played game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can get a number of good games for $15ish however I think as far as a collection is concerned, it would be limiting. It wouldn't be a well rounded collection of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have an interesting topic here.

You mentioned a couple good titles that I'd consider (and even own). However, my initial thought was that short of sale hunting or thrift stores, I don't know how large of a "good" collection you could grow with only $15 games. Of course, "good" is a subjective term and hence YMMV.

I think the "spirit" of your question is to grow a collection of low cost games, but if you're really talking about a $15 per game budget, then I would advise you to save a couple weeks/months/whatever and then pick up a couple $30 or even $45 games over time instead of only focusing on only $15 per purchase. I think $15 limits the amount and quality of the components you can purchase, and hence you're limited to mostly card games or games with very few components.

I can't think of any games that are consistently "on sale" for $15. In my mind, if they are always "on sale" for $15, then they are $15 games. Places like MM or CSI have daily or even periodic sales, but you asked about games that are regularly on sale versus a one time thing.

I'm curious to read what others post and what games get mentioned. Hopefully other responses will be more to the "spirit" of your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
One could buy a knife for $15 then have all the free games you want. Until you get caught. But they do play a lot of card games in jail...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
thegordonshow wrote:
Sushi Go is always available for under $15 and I'm sure you could easily find Sushi Go Party (a great upgrade!) on sale for $15.

I'm intrigued by Sushi Go and Sushi Go Party. Does Party have all the same cards as Sushi Go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I purchased most of my $15 games to cross the free shipping threshold on online orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what kind of games you like - this is going to focus you on component-light, often cardgames, often lighter/shorter games.

Given that I like heavy production lots of components and consider a 90min game very short and the least that will hold my attention I could buy almost nothing (possibly nothing) that I'd want for that.

On the other hand if I liked quick and/or light and/or party games You could buy a hundred or more that are worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Voice of Reason wrote:
I think you have an interesting topic here...

...I think the "spirit" of your question is to grow a collection of low cost games, but if you're really talking about a $15 per game budget, then I would advise you to save a couple weeks/months/whatever and then pick up a couple $30 or even $45 games over time instead of only focusing on only $15 per purchase....

...I'm curious to read what others post and what games get mentioned. Hopefully other responses will be more to the "spirit" of your question.

Thanks,
I agree that It is a bit of an odd idea to just limit oneself to readily available $15 games. My actual buying habits are more like what you describe. They involve alot of sales and super-deals and I've been able to acquire some amazing games, in most cases for $30 or less and only rarely hitting $50.

Still, I think it's kind of a neat idea to see what good games a new gamer or someone who just wants a new game could get if they only had $15 to spend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to build a quick light collection than $15 a game if fine, or if you are willing to be patient and buy used that can work as well. I have found quite a few valuable games for less than that including Unspeakable Words, Magic Realm, Mage Wars Arena, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, and many more.

With that being said, once you play a game that is MSRP $50 you will notice a difference in game play and component quality for a highly acclaimed game. Granted there are some $10 games that I would rather play than games with high MSRP's. Then once you buy a game that goes for $100 you will understand why people pay that amount for a game, and will have a hard time justifying only small purchases.

My recommendation would be to start with a small collection of small games to determine what type of games you prefer, and then venture into a more expensive title with positive reviews that matches your taste for the smaller titles.

Here is my list to for my two cents...

Love Letter or Lost Legacy
Hanabi
Star Realms
Hive Pocket
Codenames or Codenames: Pictures
Zombie Dice
Coup
The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon
Mr. Jack Pocket - might be more since it is OOP I believe
Rhino Hero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could purchase a copy of Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit and about 9-10 used copies of Scrabble from the Salvation Army. The cost of your collection would then average about $15 a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how much time you have to hit the thrift stores...

Or if you are willing to buy used, and local.

Huge. Trust me...

Just for an example, yesterday I found Pandemic for $6.99 and Carcassonne for $3.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Nice post! There are some seriously good games to fit a tighter budget, with insane value for money. Best of all, they play quick too and can be played in cafes etc, so you can knock out a lot of games.

My list of budget awesomeness:

Oh My Goods
An engine builder where you barely have time to get it all up and running (make sure you are playing the updated rules to help out there), but there is enough time, just! I like that tightness. It's a small game, at a small price, with a small play time. I want it to be tight. I really like this.

Port Royal
Not bad at two player but even better at three. My favourite push your luck mechanic. I was pleased to see Tom Vasel had it number one in his top ten Push Your Luck games. I'm not overly nuts on push your luck, but this one is sublime!

The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game
Holy cow, I like it even more than its big brother. I love the quick turns and the decent weight for such a quick set collection game. Love it! It might rate 10 for me. The funny thing is, despite having tiny cards and being the "card version," this game really sprawls, so is not so good for cafe.

Star Realms
Fun and a little more to it than meets the eye. It was a game of luck that I always seemed to lose at. I will still be playing this in five years.

Love Letter
I will never forget opening the packet and looking in disbelief at how few cards were inside. Surely there is no game here? I really like it. I normally like games with a bit more weight but this is fun, fast, and clever.

Lost Legacy
I like this even better than Love Letter. However, I was set to stick with my Third Chronicle and not bother mixing sets, but oh boy am I glad I got to try mixing sets (which is going way beyond $15...) Dominion meets Love Letter. Swap out a few cards, and suddenly the dynamics switch. Wow, now this card works killer with that one. We played one game with a mix from all eight sets and it was excellent. I score this a 10 if you mix.

Valley of the Kings
Nearly in budget? An amazing little deckbuilder where timing is everything. Probably my favourite deckbuilder after Dominion. Cool things about it are, there are only two of most cards bar your starting deck, so you have quite a lot of variation in card powers from a relatively small pack. And you have a delicious tension between hanging onto a card to use its power or money value, versus "entombing" it to bank its points - you only score points at game end for the cards you entombed, and there is a general limit of one entomb per round.

You can no longer use the cards you entombed.

Probably best at two. I like Afterlife a bit better than the first version. You can mix the three different versions, but really, you don't need to, each is a very complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I weep every time someone posts Star Realms. I got caught up in the hype during a time period when it was out of stock everywhere. CSI finally got a shipment in the middle of the panic and I think I paid $49.95 for my first deck. A short time later, it was available everywhere again at the normal low price. I eventually bought a 2nd deck for $9.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Spy Fall fits the bill. North Star party games also are great, Say Anything and Wits and Wagers.

Eight Minute Empire versions also can get that cheap in sale.

Hive can get they're.

Hey, That's My Fish is good fun.

Zombie Dice is a nice little push your luck style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I weep every time someone posts Star Realms. I got caught up in the hype during a time period when it was out of stock everywhere. CSI finally got a shipment in the middle of the panic and I think I paid $49.95 for my first deck. A short time later, it was available everywhere again at the normal low price. I eventually bought a 2nd deck for $9.99.

I weep because Cthulhu Realms is a better game and plays 4 out-of-the-box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some from my collection that I don't think have been mentioned, yet:
Hey, That's My Fish!
Tides of Time/Tides of Madness
Age of War
Epic Card Game

All of these are normally less than $15, but apparently Age of War is in between printings based on current amazon prices.

Edit: Ninja'd on Hey that's my fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Citadels is another game that is on the must-buy list if you're building a collection of $15 games. The new version looks like it's ~$18-19 right now but the old version is the only one I've played anyway, and it's $11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a board game convention nearby, more common games can be found for pennies on the dollar at the flea markets they often host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gordon Show
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm intrigued by Sushi Go and Sushi Go Party. Does Party have all the same cards as Sushi Go?

Sushi Go Party has the same cards as regular Sushi Go but also about a dozen more card types that you can mix and match to create different decks (lots of replayability) and it goes up to 8 players instead of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.