Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that bought the TEG playmat, do you think it was a worthy purchase? Did it enhance your game by the $20 that it cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aestetically, yes. Functionally? Well, that depends on how much reference you would like.

This has labeled slots for about everything, reminders, and just a solid function that is wholly unnecessary, unless you want setups to be easier.

I found it useful as it usually is a while between times where it hits the table, so it sped up my remembering of things; especially layout.

I am also ordering the BtB one as well. These are my only Tiny Epic mats as they really help the most imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mb
When Tiny Epic Western comes in I may buy playmate for that one as the layout is complex.

For Tiny Epic Galaxies though, I sometimes play with expansions and sometimes don't, depending on how much time we have, and whether or not we have children or new players in the game.

I think for Beyond The Black it depends on how often you play with all the bells and whistles. Also, whether you need to maintain the small footprint or not. In my younger years my gaming stuff had to fit in a backpack and I bicycles everywhere.

They look nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of the playmats, however I did not buy them. For me, the game was at most $30ish (if you do deluxe). I'd personally rather buy 2 Tiny Epic games over one game and its playmat. That was how I talked myself out of them multiple times. I do think they are nice, but I'd rather more games to play as opposed to overly spruced up games. I know I may be in the minority here, but that's my approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Aestetically, yes. Functionally? Well, that depends on how much reference you would like.

This has labeled slots for about everything, reminders, and just a solid function that is wholly unnecessary, unless you want setups to be easier.

I found it useful as it usually is a while between times where it hits the table, so it sped up my remembering of things; especially layout.

I am also ordering the BtB one as well. These are my only Tiny Epic mats as they really help the most imo.

The reminders are nice, because I do like anything that eases setup. Like Lee said, though, it's practically price of another game. Ugh, so tough decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leedguitar wrote:
I love the idea of the playmats, however I did not buy them. For me, the game was at most $30ish (if you do deluxe). I'd personally rather buy 2 Tiny Epic games over one game and its playmat. That was how I talked myself out of them multiple times. I do think they are nice, but I'd rather more games to play as opposed to overly spruced up games. I know I may be in the minority here, but that's my approach.

Yeah this is exactly how I see it. The play mats are a great idea and look great but cannot justify the price, would rather buy a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TEG is a pretty easy setup. I have strongly considered the mat for Tiny Epic Western though. It would be nice to just know exactly where do drop the buildings so that you aren't taking up a huge chunk of table. The mat makes things as compact as reasonable.

I understand that Gamelyn isn't making a huge profit on these mats. The margin is probably pretty low, but it's hard to buy an accessory to a game that is the same price (or more) than the game itself.

I told myself that if I played the game 15 times or more.. and still wanted to play more, I could justify the mat. I still don't know if that's going to be enough to get me there. Especially given the fact that I bought a Quiver mat. But sometimes it would be easier to toss down a small mat instead of a full table mat. I have children and they oftentimes have crafts drying on the same table I play at.

So I'm with you in terms of having a hard time justifying the expense. I do think TEW is going to end up getting a mat though. If it was $20, it would be a no-brainer. It's the $30 tag that is really making me rethink. I mean, we have TEQ coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the expansion releases for TEG i think a new player mat would be great and worth it. Just the base game it's so simple and easy to setup it's not really needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Personally, I've played TEW twice and it has been fine without a mat. Probably took 5m to setup, if that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wiant
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the play mat for TEG and I love it. I don't think it is strictly needed, but when we play at home and have a large game table, it makes it feel less "tiny"

I feel the TEG play mat is more useful than the Tiny Epic Kingdoms or Defenders mat.

I just played a few games of Tiny Epic Western, and I wish I had a play mat for that. Because of the nature of placing the cards between buildings and making enough room for the poker cards. We had to re-position the whole board a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke down and got the base and expansion playmats. Cuz I like to bling my games, I guess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.