$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Any wargames about WW2 battles in Saint-Malo (or Brittany in general) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb

I read this page about Bradley's 12 Army Group's liberation of Brittany, especially the fighting for Saint-Malo and Dinard. Are there any wargames that cover this at less than strategic scale? I mean, I don't want the whole area to be a single hex.

http://www.angelfire.com/va2/worldwar2family/rolland2.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Obviously any whole Northwest Europe campaign game will cover Brittany at an operational level (regiment/division):

The Mighty Endeavor
Liberty Roads
Against the Reich
Onslaught
D-Day (first edition)
... just to name a few

The problem with gaming the Brittany Campaign is that it was such a backwater front and I'm not aware of any game specifically on it. Brittany became irrelevant once Cherbourg became operational and the German defense of Normandy completely fell apart after Cobra with the threat of encirclement at Falaise. St. Malo and Brest were effectively sieges and there aren't many WWII siege games. The Brittany offense was pretty much a quick jab at the ports then Patton had the forces quickly turn around to the East. The remaining large ports in Brittany remained in German hands (along with a number of Channel ports) and were watched over by token Allied forces until VE Day.

Of course, there'll be plenty of ASL scenarios but these don't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was really hoping some obscure magazine game or Minden Games treatment would cover it. Those are the usual channels for obscure battles and dubious wargaming situations. I've found some pretty obscure stuff that way, but all of my google and BGG searching is finding nothing this time. (Also CSW.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised there are no games about the battle/siege of Brest. At least, I don't know of any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire Brittany campaign in 1944 would be an interesting study in command from the Allied perspective. The player would be required to face a constantly shifting kaleidoscope of missions and objectives as the situation changed... eventually seeing his forces drastically reduced and his theater reduced to a strategic backwater.

Simulations portraying a subordinate dealing with strong pressure from a higher echelon are fascinating and reflect a challenge that has confronted commanders from the dawn of recorded military history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Simulations portraying a subordinate dealing with strong pressure from a higher echelon are fascinating and reflect a challenge that has confronted commanders from the dawn of recorded military history.

I think I like designing this sort of thing more than people would enjoy playing it.
In my game Kandahar players are mid-level commanders whose objectives keep getting changed on them by Higher; if they want to keep getting the wherewithal to carry on operations, they'd better comply.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I would be very interested in a game on that focus as well as both my Grandfathers fought in Brittany.
This is an inetersting book on the American perspective:
https://www.amazon.fr/Americans-Brittany-1944-Battle-Brest/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things got me interested in this topic. First, I get to visit the area this weekend. I always enjoy when I get to be The Traveling Wargamer. Second, a while back I visited Dunkirk, and am playing a few games about that in prep for an upcoming podcast episode. It would've made an interesting contrast: the 1940 backs-against-the-sea evacuation from Dunkirk, with the 1944 backs-against-the-sea last stand from Brittany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Liberty Roads St Malo can Festung and hold out longer than you'd expect. I only recently found out it was a pirate base and the Malvinas were named after it.
Brittany is quite popular as the invasion site. In the Market Garden scenario Brest is still besieged.
Brittany has a nice terrain mix. U-boat bases, railways, the Monts de Arree, forest, bocage and the river Vilaine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting to note that one division, the US 94th, had a 420 mile front line from Lorient to St. Nazaire to Paris. It held that position from October 1944 until January 1945, when it was relieved by the 66th Division which had lost a sizeable amount of men and equipment crossing the Channel. The 94th was augmented by several small FFI formations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.