$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 67.97

4,747 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions After First Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael edwards
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
So the wife and I busted this out for the first time between last night and this morning and some questions came up. Some questions we were able to google as we played but these did not appear to show up.

1. If a hunter is defeated as a result of playing the Heroic Leap event card, does Dracula still get influence points as if he had defeated the hunter in combat? We ask because the card states that it is resolved prior to combat.

2. Do the item cards with no banners count against your hand limit? Like if you have (for whatever reason) two stake cards which have no banner, and a knife card, that would be your 3 card limit? Or can you have just up to 3 item cards that have banners?

3. When Dracula ambushes, does combat happen immediately or at dawn/dusk? We played it that every single time a hunter stepped foot on a spot with an encounter able to ambush, an ambush occurred if Dracula player wanted to do so but this seemed incredibly OP for various reasons (not complaining entirely, just felt impossible to ever get ahead as the initial ambush almost always killed the hunter so we were not sure if the ambush combat was supposed to happen at dusk/dawn or immediately.)

4. Lastly, when you do ambush with vamps, do they stay on the board after the combat is over if they were not killed? Do they still get to mature if they are revealed if/when they make it past position 6? Do they still get to ambush if they are revealed? We played yes to all of these but were not sure if we were doing it right.

Thank you for your time and effort.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouvond wrote:

1. If a hunter is defeated as a result of playing the Heroic Leap event card, does Dracula still get influence points as if he had defeated the hunter in combat? We ask because the card states that it is resolved prior to combat.


I would think so but don't recall an official ruling.

bouvond wrote:

2. Do the item cards with no banners count against your hand limit? Like if you have (for whatever reason) two stake cards which have no banner, and a knife card, that would be your 3 card limit? Or can you have just up to 3 item cards that have banners?


Yes

bouvond wrote:

3. When Dracula ambushes, does combat happen immediately or at dawn/dusk? We played it that every single time a hunter stepped foot on a spot with an encounter able to ambush, an ambush occurred if Dracula player wanted to do so but this seemed incredibly OP for various reasons (not complaining entirely, just felt impossible to ever get ahead as the initial ambush almost always killed the hunter so we were not sure if the ambush combat was supposed to happen at dusk/dawn or immediately.)


Immediately. If your hunters are being killed by vampire ambushes, they're really bad fighters or poorly equipped.

bouvond wrote:

4. Lastly, when you do ambush with vamps, do they stay on the board after the combat is over if they were not killed? Do they still get to mature if they are revealed if/when they make it past position 6? Do they still get to ambush if they are revealed? We played yes to all of these but were not sure if we were doing it right.


Yes, they do. You have to finish them off.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouvond wrote:

2. Do the item cards with no banners count against your hand limit? Like if you have (for whatever reason) two stake cards which have no banner, and a knife card, that would be your 3 card limit? Or can you have just up to 3 item cards that have banners?

ALL items are counted in the hand limit.

bouvond wrote:
3. When Dracula ambushes, does combat happen immediately or at dawn/dusk? We played it that every single time a hunter stepped foot on a spot with an encounter able to ambush, an ambush occurred if Dracula player wanted to do so but this seemed incredibly OP for various reasons (not complaining entirely, just felt impossible to ever get ahead as the initial ambush almost always killed the hunter so we were not sure if the ambush combat was supposed to happen at dusk/dawn or immediately.)

Yes, ambushes are (must be) immediate (in the order of Dracula's choosing if more than one), so usually will be DAY combat (if a vampire). Hunters need to equip themselves before rushing into danger. If the hunter is equipped and the player understands how the combat cards interact, they should be able to hold their own against a vampire in daylight.

bouvond wrote:
4. Lastly, when you do ambush with vamps, do they stay on the board after the combat is over if they were not killed? Do they still get to mature if they are revealed if/when they make it past position 6? Do they still get to ambush if they are revealed? We played yes to all of these but were not sure if we were doing it right.
Yes, Yes, Yes, so well done on your rules intuition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Dracula gains influence regardless of how the Hunter was defeated.

2. Item cards are item cards, regardless of whether they're used in battle or not.

3. Ambushes happen immediately, without opportunity for assistance to move to your location. Defeats the purpose of an ambush

4. You are correct in playing yes to all of those.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouvond wrote:
So the wife and I busted this out for the first time between last night and this morning and some questions came up. Some questions we were able to google as we played but these did not appear to show up.

1. If a hunter is defeated as a result of playing the Heroic Leap event card, does Dracula still get influence points as if he had defeated the hunter in combat? We ask because the card states that it is resolved prior to combat.


Dracula gets influence whenever a hunter is defeated by any means, so he does in this case.

Quote:
2. Do the item cards with no banners count against your hand limit? Like if you have (for whatever reason) two stake cards which have no banner, and a knife card, that would be your 3 card limit? Or can you have just up to 3 item cards that have banners?


All items count towards the limit.

Quote:
3. When Dracula ambushes, does combat happen immediately or at dawn/dusk? We played it that every single time a hunter stepped foot on a spot with an encounter able to ambush, an ambush occurred if Dracula player wanted to do so but this seemed incredibly OP for various reasons (not complaining entirely, just felt impossible to ever get ahead as the initial ambush almost always killed the hunter so we were not sure if the ambush combat was supposed to happen at dusk/dawn or immediately.)


All combat against vampire encounters happens immediately whether due to ambush or search. It is only combat against Dracula himself that takes place at dawn or disk.

Quote:
4. Lastly, when you do ambush with vamps, do they stay on the board after the combat is over if they were not killed? Do they still get to mature if they are revealed if/when they make it past position 6? Do they still get to ambush if they are revealed? We played yes to all of these but were not sure if we were doing it right.


They remain in the location and can ambush later and be matured if they drop off the trail.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.