GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 126.34

7,507 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Mark Robson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have created a prototype target game for use with NERF guns or other foam dart firing toys. Can anyone recommend a publisher who might be interested in this type of product? When I bought my son a NERF gun a couple of years' ago, I realised quickly that he needed something to shoot: not his sister, because those darts can hurt! When I searched WWW to find something to shoot at, I was surprised how little there was really, and some of those products had very poor reviews. I appreciate any advice you can give me, or if you are a publisher, please feel free to drop me a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a target practice type thing, it may not need a "publisher" but instead, just a "manufacturer" to make the items. I don't know exactly how or what kind of rules would make it a "game" as defined by BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like something you should present to Hasbro. It's not really a board game at all but more of a Nerf accessory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It is a manufacturer I need, though the prototype would need development into the final retail product. I was hoping I might find some contacts via BGG. Cheers, Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I need a toy manufacturer really who is willing to consider the development of the design into the final retail product. Unfortunately Hasbro are not interested 8-(. It's not really possible for me to get the game made and wholesaled on my own. So really I'm looking to sell the design. It's a bit difficult because I can't patent it, and registering the design would only prevent direct copying. I don't want to give up yet though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be too dismissive, but a quick Google Image search on "nerf type targets" shows a wide variety of home-made and commercially available items. Unless yours is wildly unique, it may just be a good idea come to naught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
You could probably find a manufacturer easily if you are willing to pay for the product's creation yourself.

If you are looking for a manufacturer that is also a distributor, that might be a hard sell if you are just creating a product as an accessory to another company's product. One of the reasons for this is if the product is popular, the companies who create the product you created the accessory for may take notice and create their own version and that could likely end your product's shelf life.

Have you done any market research on whether or not the market is large enough to warrant such a product. The reason NERF might not have such a product is because they don't believe the market for it exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I appreciate your honesty and yes I have had the same thoughts: the game is traditional yet is unique when compared to available retail products. There are built in sounds FX, but these are not essential - they do however increase the fun factor. I do have a manufacturer in mind now who already produce a nice product for foam dart guns etc. in the US. Many thanks for you input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply. NERF do indeed produce some target systems, though some of them are not very popular or robust. The emphasis is certainly on the toy guns: not anything to shoot at. But as a parent, I saw this as a problem and once I created a Heath Robinson prototype for my son, he had much more fun playing with the NERF gun. There is in fact a manufacturer in the US who make there own guns and targets and it appears that they have done reasonably well at least when I look at reviews on Amazon in the UK. I hope to contact them short. Many thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I hope your product pans out for you.

I am skeptical because I have worked in retail over 20 years, with a long stretch of that dealing with toys and games (and before that I was your typical child of the 80's who had a toy box filled with various toy guns), and I have seen a lot of target and gun type products come and go. Most of them wind up being novelty products where the fun factor wears off quickly.

Do your research (including checking patents to make sure your product hasn't already been invented and having your product reviewed by kids if possible) before you invest any money, that is all I am saying.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.