7 Posts

Battlestations: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How fun is it to be the GM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael NaN
United States
flag msg tools
I'm interested in getting a 1 vs many style game but with a group size of 6 it has been tricky to find one. Battlestations seems like it might be what I'm looking for, but is the GM in this game considered generally enjoyable to play? On a similar note, is it known how well the full co-op missions would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
The GM is fun to play if you are the type of person who likes mastering the rules to direct the game and help speed it along. Also, if you like being a traditional RPG style GM where you are designing a campaign and working to make the experience fun for the players.

If you are looking for a game where the GM busts their brain as hard as possible in direct competition trying to defeat the players, it might not be the best fit.

I don't think any of the co-op missions have been released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well i love it as a GM. and I have been GM-ng since lil red box DnD in 70's

However it really does require a DM not someone desperate to win.. It is certainly possible to smash the players.. especially in larger normally more fractious groups as they try to control each other.

I personally love the control freak element of running all the opposition.. and like to shade it so the guys feel all "bloody hell that was close.. we barely made that"

Fortunately i have long grown out of the necessity to pound the players into the ground.. now i get more kicks from seeing their relief and joy as they just manage to climb out of a hole they were digging for themselves. And sometimes open die rolls are just cruel.

Of course if they are gonna be too stupid to live.. well then they are too s.....

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to cackle gleefully while your friend's characters are dying you might be Battlestations ref material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing is with the "clone" system as the GM you don't have to "hold back" and play the enemy to the best of your ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Cornman
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this video, the designer explains how the game is set up so that the characters can recover from death (albeit with a penalty), so that the enemy player can "really play" without holding back. That's one of the reasons I like the game. Especially with veteran players, I can play to win as in a true 1 vs. all game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/102971/battlestations-second...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
By "full co-op" do you mean the automated enemy system? If so, I think that's highly dependent on the mission, as some work better than others. But the system does a decent job of simulating a competent opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.