Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been entirely satisfied with the method of determining turn order in Leaving Earth. (And the worst part is that I can't really blame anyone else for it either...)

Some people have suggested using your leftover cash at the end of the year to go first in the next year. I think this is an interesting idea that would be worth testing a bit.

This would get rid of the current rule on turn order (page 14), and replace it with something like this:

Quote:
First Player
The space agency that invested the most money in turn order in the previous year will take their turn first this year. If there is a tie -- such as at the beginning of the game -- each agency that invested the most rolls the die. Whoever rolls the lowest number will take their turn first.

Funding (reset to $25)

Start-of-Year Missions (check to see if they're completed)

Turns
The space agency chosen to go first (above) takes the first turn, then the agency to their left, and so on around the table...

There would also be a new player action (somewhere after page 17):

Quote:
Investing in Turn Order
You may spend any amount of money investing in next year's turn order. (put this money somewhere) Whichever agency invests the most money this year will take their turn first next year (page 14).

This would give players a way to have some influence over their turn order in critical years, instead of having it come down to just a die roll as it often does now. It would also get rid of one of the incentives to avoid completing missions.

I haven't tested this idea out yet, but it sounds interesting to me. If any of you decide to give it a try, please let us all know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. The only thing I see as problematic is that everyone involved will try to invest for turn order as late as possible before crucial years. Maybe make it so that there is a bonus for the first to bid on turn order? As money is public knowledge, there is no sense in hiding.

Alternatively, you could, at the end of the year, invest next years' money for turn order by writing down the allocated budget in secret. This way there would be no stalling at the end of a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
Alternatively, you could, at the end of the year, invest next years' money for turn order by writing down the allocated budget in secret. This way there would be no stalling at the end of a year.

I like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
In stead of changing the manual of the main game again, propose such rules in the forthcoming expansion (such as one-per-year survey was introduced with Outer Planets).

Some additional ideas:
Also Pluto (and Triton!) are waiting for a release. Why not to include in the asteroids addon planned? Or to combine space station with asteroids for a really big expansion (as Outer Planets were)?
And consider a planet hunt (telescopes) in your space station addon (discovery of Kuiper planemos to be flown-by, extrasolar planets for points and remote surveys of existing bodies).
Also some locations beg for alternate missions (galileo orbiters and explorers in the inner system, possibly allowable to visit dangerous locations, manned fly-bys of Mars and Venus, HOPE manned mission to Callisto, cash return universal mission e.g. collect $ from minerals, more life-oriented missions like discovery of life or landing there).
Also please make early astronauts (esp. pilots) more useful later in the game so that doctors are not so dominant on higher levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that some sort of improvement in turn order is in order.

I don't like being last in the scoring, but I really like being to the left of the person who is last. This "geographical" determination of turn order doesn't make sense to me.

At the very least it seems like turn order should strictly follow the score from last to first. Introduce some turn order tokens if necessary.

However the idea of somehow influencing the next turn with this years budget money is very thematic in my mind. Those who face use-it-or-lose-it budgeting are very adept at moving funds from this year to next year in ways that either can't be detected or can be defended if they are (no personal experience here whistle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
I don't like being last in the scoring, but I really like being to the left of the person who is last. This "geographical" determination of turn order doesn't make sense to me.

At the very least it seems like turn order should strictly follow the score from last to first.

I believe that is exactly how it works right now. I do not have the manual here to check though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

At the very least it seems like turn order should strictly follow the score from last to first.

I believe that is exactly how it works right now. I do not have the manual here to check though.

The manual says lowest in points goes first (decide randomly if tied), then clockwise. This can lead to player with 0 points going first, followed by player with 10 points (next clockwise) and lastly player with 1 point.

We always play that it goes in increasing order of points, those tied at the same level are decided randomly each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
We always play that it goes in increasing order of points, those tied at the same level are decided randomly each round.

Credit where credit is due: My suggestion of doing this originated in Jeff's house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.