Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants» Forums » Rules

Subject: Syzygy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lea
msg tools
I've also posted this in the specific folder for Strange Remnants, but am posting here too in the hope of an increased chance of a response.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but, once Syzygy has Awakened, can you at that point ONLY attempt the Final mystery, or, can you also continue to attempt 'normal' mysteries, including the one that was already in progress if the card was flipped owing to the accumulation of Eldritch Tokens on the Omen Track, and then possibly subsequent ones too.

I ask because a significant number of the 'Sealing the Portal' Encounters allow a bonus to tests based on the number of resolved Mysteries. This would seem to suggest that there is in theory a benefit to continuing to solve more Mysteries after Awakening - but is there a specific ruling on whether this is or isn't allowed?

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You can continue advancing the regular mystery.
You won't get another token onto the AO sheet once you finish though, those are only placed on flip. As you point out, some final encounters reference the raw number of completed mysteries though, it can help for those.

(Unless the Mystery is really close to completion it's probably not worth the effort though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Right, so leaving aside the question of whether it's advisable or not, the specific RULES position is that you are allowed to do it? Are you then allowed to attempt subsequent 'normal' (i.e., not 'Final' mysteries) - again, I'm asking less about whether or not it's a good idea, and really just about whether you're permitted to do so or not?

Many thanks for replying by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Uh, I'm not sure if yet another new one would be drawn if you finish one while it is awake. Probably?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Uh, I'm not sure if yet another new one would be drawn if you finish one while it is awake. Probably?

Technically, yes. But given how hard Syzygy's mystery are, if you complete one after awakening, it's not worth even bothering to flip a new mystery, let alone attempt to finish it. If you luck into an advance/complete the active mystery effect, flip it then and see what you worked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Big thanks to those who responded.

That's fine. As long as it's clear that the rules would allow you to start a new Mystery after Syzygy has Awoken that's all I needed to know at this stage - whether, as people have said, it's a good idea or not is a different matter, I'll have to see as I play.

Many thanks again for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Eldritch Horror to Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants.

Please post expansion questions in that expansion's forum. If not you create false notifications and duplicate information across the site. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.