45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Legendary DC: Gotham Nights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
I have been thinking about a DC version of the game since shortly after I discovered the game, about 12 months ago. I discovered this forum, with all the work so many of you have done expand the Legendary universe beyond just Marvel. Shout to the excellent work that everyone has done. My thoughts on trying to develop a DC expansion waxed and waned, because it just seemed like such a big undertaking. Then I saw this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1420289/legendary-gotham-wi...

which seemed to focus the idea of an expansion and also introduce some new interesting game play. I have spoken to Michael, who does not have the time to progress with the idea and has graciously allowed me to pick it up and run with it. This thread will about that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My plans are to create:

Card Templates with the 36 pixels of bleed all the way around as required by Printing Places
New base cards with a Gotham flavour
10 Gotham Heroes
5 Villain Groups of 12 cards each (a Mastermind, 4 Villains, 5 Henchmen and 2 crimes, a variation of Michael's original idea)
16 Generic Crimes to be used as the Crime Deck
Colour Brochure of rules to be added to one of the printed decks

372 cards in total, printed in 7 x 54 card decks.

3 decks will make up the Base cards, and these will be optional, as you can use the original cards in the game, and change the rules on them if needed. The Base card decks will contain.

10 Injuries
10 Bystanders

14 GCPD Officers (2 extras when you print the deck 3 times)
7 GCPD Swat (1 extra when you print the deck 3 times)
5 Jim Gordon
4 Twists (might change the name of these to "Complications" or something)
3 Strikes (trying to come up with a new name for these as well, like "Actions" or something, as in "Villain/Mastermind Actions")

53 cards in total.

Printing up 3 copies of this base deck will make it easier to get to the discounted quantities required for printing if I'm printing 2 games. But again, this will be the last printing I'll be worried about.

2 decks will contain the main Hero Cards of the 10 new Heroes. It will contain:

20 Common 1. Hero Cards
20 Common 2. Hero Cards
10 Uncommon Hero Cards
4 Henchmen Cards

54 cards

Printing this deck twice will again help with costs in quantities.

1 deck will contain the last remaining Hero cards plus some extras.

10 Common 1. Hero Cards
10 Common 2. Hero Cards
10 Uncommon Hero Cards
10 Rare Hero Cards
5 Mastermind Cards
9 Villain Cards

54 Cards

This will be the first deck I get printed to test colours, etc, as it is 54 different cards, and will let me see all the Hero cards in the game. I'll probably also add the Brochure of rules to this deck, to make sure that all looks okay.

The last deck will contain everything that remains.

11 Villain Cards
17 Henchmen
10 Villain Crimes
16 Generic Crimes

54 Cards

The last 4 decks will contain everything we need to play. I'm hoping to have at least those decks finished and printed to go out as Christmas Presents this year. We will see ...

----------------------------------------------------------

So that's the boring planning of the logistics. Game and Card design will be below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Villain Groups.

My first thoughts of changes to Michael's design was the number of Villains. I figured Upper Deck had done most of the heavy lifting for testing the Adversary Deck for certain number of players, so I looked at their numbers.

Players: Masterminds + Villains + Henchmen
1: 4+8+3=15
2: 4+16+10=30
3: 4+24+10=38
4: 4+24+20=48
5: 4+32+20=56

So assuming we wanted to keep the numbers similar, and be essentially adding a new Villain group for each player, I adjusted the Villain Groups to be 1 Mastermind, 4 Villains, 5 Henchmen, and 2 Specific Crimes. That would give us:

Players: Masterminds + Villains + Henchmen + Villain Crimes + Generic Crimes
1: 1+4+5+2+5=17
2: 2+8+10+4+5=29
3: 3+12+15+6+5=41
4: 4+16+20+8+5=53
5: 5+20+25+10+5=65

--------------------------------

Crimes

Next was the idea of a Crime Deck, and the idea of making them Easy, Medium and Hard. The obvious connection to me became Misdemeanor, Felony and Capital Crime, and so I did a quick search to get some crimes for the 16 cards I had room for. Quick comments of the crimes until I come up with specifics or something better.

Misdemeanor - 2 Attack to complete. 1 VP point.
Vandalism
Purse Snatching
Reckless Driving
Trespassing
Gunfire

Felony - 4 Attack to complete. 2 VP points.
Bank Heist
Car Theft
Burglary
Assault
Kidnapping
"Corruption in the G.C.P.D."

Capital Crime - 6 Attack to complete. 3 VP points.
Poisoning the Water
War Among the Crime Families
Bomb Threats
Arkham Escape

It occurred to me that the Capital Crimes are really all the same thing, with the threat of mass death of innocents being the crime. So as I get the some specifics like "Poison the Water Supply", I'll replace the generic "Terrorism" with those.

Each of the Crimes will have a Twist or Complication effect that will do some damage to the players. The Misdemeanors will be pretty benign, or possibly missing. Not sure what the Twist effect of "Vandalism" could be. We'll see. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. I was also trying to find crimes that were specifically Gotham if possible. Metropolis centric Crimes would be in the Superman/Justice League Set.

5 cards will be taken randomly from the 3 piles. I thought about just shuffling them together because crime is a random thing. It doesn't build like in the movies, but it probably should. Anyway, the ratio of the 3 different types of crimes can be dependent on number of players and level of difficulty wanted. Cards would be played one at a time with a new one turned up after each one is solved.

Villain Crimes
Still thinking about the mechanics of these. They could be in the Adversary Deck, revealed randomly and added next to the Crime Deck to complicate matters with each Twist affecting every revealed Crime. This could mean sometimes not a lot of Crimes are solved, and other times, there could be heaps going on, with 10 possible Villain Crimes being revealed.

But, as the idea of the Villain Groups is going to rely heavily on specific stories from the Comics, it might be better to have them as part of the original Crime Deck. Or, making a second Villain Crime Deck next to the Generic Crime Deck, and have a Villain Crime revealed when ever a Mastermind appears. Or perhaps a combination of the two. Still thinking about this, and any thoughts are appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------

Infiltration

I do like the idea of the Villains in the HQ. But I worry this might end the game early. I think I will probably leave it in, with the added note that you must clear the HQ of Villains before you can win the game.

That's it for the game adjustments. Thoughts on Heroes, Villains and Stories are below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Again, the main stumbling block I had with looking at DC was the enormous amount of choice available. I literally had no idea where to begin. The genius of Michael's idea was focusing on the specifics. Pick a great story, and everything can flow from that. So the inspiration for me will be finding 5 story lines, and picking villains and heroes from that. Keeping it to Gotham will make picking stories a manageable task, and I'm going to start with the idea of starting with the New 52. This will help me work with in a specific frame work, at least at the beginning. If it's two narrow, then I will expand beyond that. And obviously, new expansions can look anywhere in the DC universe.

Each storyline needs a Mastermind, at least 2 Villains but up to 4, 2 Crimes the Mastermind or Villain is trying to complete and a decent Henchmen. Will post comic ideas here with the breakdown of Villain and Hero cards as they are inspired from the Comic. Have read the new Birds of Prey comics, and I think I can get 2 story lines from those. Court of Owls is obviously the first one for the Bat friends, but any other suggestions from the New 52 are appreciated. Otherwise I might start looking at other classic Batman stories.

Content

STORIES
Night of Owls
Trouble in Mind
Death of the Family
End Game
Mother's Children

HEROES
BATFRIENDS
Batman
Robin
Nightwing
Red Hood
Bluebird

Catwoman

BIRDS OF PREY
Batgirl
Black Canary
Starling
Katana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really hopping that someone would/could keep on with Michael's idea. thumbsup thumbsup
I will keep following your income on this to see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Thanks for that. I've pretty much done the templates, now just looking for the artwork for the generic cards and having to work out what all the specifics are going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't re-invent the wheel! Some of this stuff has already been put together.

A bit earlier that year, I did a total conversion of the Legendary system to be Batman-themed. I haven't yet abandoned the project and would still be interested in moving forward.

Check this thread out for some mock-ups of the art. Searching for the perfect art more than anything has stalled progress on the project. We spent a lot of time discussing icons themselves, their exact shades and colors for the icons, and the colors of the cards.

It used many of the existing mechanics of the time, and added a "Legendary Encounters"-type scanning mechanic. (Each time a new expansion comes out, I tweak the original here on my computer! Might need a divided deck, though.)

As for the Villain groups, the solution was to re-name Villain groups to "M.O."---as not infrequently the Batman villains will adopt the guise of another, or they'll work together, or they'll happen to be active at the same time and need to be dealt with simultaneously. This also allowed the sense that the city would have crime going on all the time, that not necessarily all of it was coordinated. This has the advantage of working with the existing Legendary: Marvel setup and the other advantage of not being as much of a bear to set up and tear down as Legendary: Encounters. What you're suggesting is fascinating and might well make a very satisfying play, but ... it's going to be that same "bear" to set it up.

In any case, the best part of my project, I think, was the various conceits for each of the Hero decks, Henchmen decks, and Mastermind decks. They still need tweaking and balancing, and that I haven't had as much time for.

Somewhere around here I even had a player mat, but ... hrm. Here it is!

In any case, I'd be happy to collaborate, understand if you wouldn't be interested, and in either case understand that this is your project and your baby. Just some ideas to go off of.

(If you do go with certain ideas, attribution/credit is all I'd ask.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
^ Thanks for the info. I do like the look of your game and I hope things go will with you moving forward with it. I'm not sure how a collaboration might work, but I would be open to any thoughts you might have.

I am trying to be wary of making the set up more complicated. It takes long enough to set up as it is, lol. The only question I really have is what to do with the Crimes of the Villains; whether they are randomly shuffled into the Adversary Deck or whether they are part of a separate Crime Deck to make sure that the specific Crimes that are important to the story get played.

The other important thing to me was the printing of the cards, to make them as close to Marvel Cards as possible, so they could be mixed and matched into the actual game. I will even print them with the Marvel backing on them, so they can't be differentiated face down. So creation of the Templates with the bleed was key, and it has been done. You, or anyone is more than welcome to borrow them. Thanks to Karl for creating Legendit where I grabbed the original files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
I liked the idea of Injury as Michael suggested. It seemed that it should limit your attack, so I went with that mechanic to get rid of them.

Placeholder image for the moment. Might even just crop Starling to be on her own and place it on a generic BG. Below is the card to show the crop and safe areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Base Cards with bleed as suggested by Michael.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is it possible to find a consistent art style for at least each type of hero? I understand the limitations of customs being "found" art published in the comics or DeviantArt or something. Still, it's a bit odd to have the basic grey cards have such a different style on each of them.

Basically, if you'd like to use a Hero deck or something from my base set, let me know and I'll help tweak it to your needs, or you can just use it! In any case, I love designing clever decks.

I will say that I tried to match the distribution of various attributes of the base set with my own, concentrating heavily on Hero class icons. For that matter, I made sure to have one GCPD Hero deck be a Nick Fury analogue. (James Gordon.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Good points. I was just grabbing the first picture I could find that seemed suitable, but continuity, at least amongst a Team is obviously important. Will change the Jim Gordon pic to an older one anyway, as more suited to his time as Commish. And I think I like the pic with the Bat Symbol for the "Crime Twist" card so will see if I can find cards to match. Looking at Gotham at Midnight now.

And thanks for the offer. As I start putting more resources up there, it is reciprocated if you see anything you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Night of Owls Villain set.

Mastermind: Court of Owls (1 copy)
Ambush: Reveal the top 3 cards of the Adversary Deck. Play all the Night of Owls Villains you revealed. Put all the other cards on top of the Villain Deck in any order.
Fight: Court of Owls gets + 2 attack for any Night of Owls Villains in the City, the Batcave or Crime Alley.
Strike: "Activate the Hit List". KO the Hero in the HQ with the highest Cost.
Attack: 8+
VP: 6

Talon (4 copies)
Fight: Revive*
Infiltrate
Attack:5
VP:3

Strix/Mary (5 copies)
Fight: If you have a Batgirl Hero in your hand, gain this card as a Hero. You will not receive VP points for it. Otherwise Revive
Attack: 3
VP: 1
--------------------
BoP
Instinct
2 attack
BoP: KO any Injuries in you hand. Draw a card for each Injury you KO'd in this way.
"I have a mask too."

*Talons are essentially immortal, and as such, very hard to eliminate from the game. The Revive mechanic is to reveal the top card of the Villain Deck. If it is a Twist or Strike then you add the Villain to your Victory Pile. Otherwise shuffle the Villain back into the Villain Deck to fight again.

Crime: Paper Balloon Bombs (1 copy)
Ambush: Each player without a Night of Owls card in their victory pile or hand gains an Injury.
Twist: Each player without a Night of Owls card in their victory pile or hand gains a Injury.
Solve: You may KO a Hero from your Hand or Discard Pile.
Attack:4
VP:2

Crime: Attack on Wayne Manor (1 copy)
To solve this Crime you must reveal a Batman card.
Ambush: Each player reveals a Batman Hero in their hand or gains an Injury.
Twist: Each player reveals a Batman Hero in their hand or gains an Injury
Solve: You may defeat a Talon or Strix Villain for Free. Their Fight effect still takes place.
Attack:6
VP:4

Hero Cards from Night of Owls

Batman - My suit is built for War (1 copy)
Batfriends
Strength
Tech
5 Attack
If you would gain an Injury at the start of your turn through an Ambush or Twist effect, you may reveal this card and Draw a Card instead.
Cost: 8
"Get the Hell out of my house!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Trouble in Mind Villain Set.

Mastermind: Choke (1 copy)

Choke gets +1 attack for each Bystander in the City.
Ambush: 2 Bystanders enter the City as Villains with 3 Attack and Infiltrate.
Fight: Gain a Bystander.
Strike: "Skip a Chapter": All players discard their hands, then Draws as many cards as they discarded.
Attack: 6+

Villain: Trevor Cahill (2 copies)
Infiltrate

Trevor Cahill gets +1 attack for each Trouble in Mind Villain in the City.

Ambush: The player to the right of the player to your right gains an Injury.
Fight: The player to the left of the player to your left gains an Injury.
Attack:4+
VP: 3

Villain: Brendan Bowman (2 copies)
Infiltrate

Fight: +2 Recruit
Attack:4
VP: 2

Henchman: Cleaner (5 copies)
Fight: Gain a Bystander.

Crime: Mind Bombs (1 copy)
Mind Bombs Gets +1 attack for every Bystander in the KO pile.

You cannot solve this Crime if there is a Trouble in Mind Villain in Gotham City or the Batcave.
Ambush: A Bystander enters the City as a Villain with 3 attack.
Twist: KO any Bystander that is a Villain in the City. Then a Bystander enters the city as a Villain with 3 attack.
Solve: Each player Draws a Card.
Attack: 5+

Crime: Mind Control the Masses (1 copy)
You cannot solve this Crime if there is a Bystander in Gotham City.
Ambush: Any Trouble in Mind Villain captures a Bystander.
Twist: Trouble in Mind Villains charge 1 space.
Solve: Each player Discards a Card.
Attack: 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Thought it might be fun to have a variety of base cards with different images. So

Added a Gotham badge for the Group so Jim Gordon cards can have mechanics related to the G.C.P.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Other Base Cards including Crimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Started printing cards and playing with the specific Font characteristics to match as closely as possible to the official cards. The Crime Cards are now very close to the format of the Scheme. Will go back and tweak the other cards I've done. Saving over the top of the first drafts, so it will just update in the original posts.

The Capital Crime Cards will be here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I basically abandoned my version of this (Sorry, got too many of my own game designs to work on ) I'm very supportive of what Shane is doing here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Thanks Michael. :-)

I have finalised the formatting of the cards I have created so far, so they are as close as I can get to them to the official cards. I still need to create some Heroes of each Class to get the those Icons the right size and place, but that will come together as I build the Heroes.

So now it's just the content of each Villain Group, which I might rename to "Story Lines" or something, as I am creating them from the plots of the comics. Three more of those; a Robin, a Nightwing and a Red Hood story? Then the Heroes of each. Still trying to get a set of new cards out to surprise the family for Christmas, so it seems likely that any testing will come from our own play over the holidays. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Starlings Cards.

Wanted a card to showcase her driving skills, but couldn't find art that did it justice. Any comments appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
I guess that the effect for which you were going with her first common is for the hero under the rooftop to be -2 Cost and not -2 recruit?

Furthermore, you should follow the same template pattern for your card's rarity (ie, full border template for commons, half for uncommon and none for rare). You've got them all setup as commons right now.

But besides that nice work! She looks solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
^ Ahhhh!!!!

Thanks so much for that. So caught up in getting the tiny details right, I forgot all about the broad strokes. And thanks for spotting the recruit/cost error.

Edit: Fixed the first common, using the traditional language.
Edit Junior: Created the Text BG for the Rare cards and edited the Starling pic for Konichiwa Bitches.
Edit the third: Edited the template for the Uncommon Instinct border and the Text BG.

P.S. Thanks for the kinds words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Katanas Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Batman cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Death of the Family Villain Set.

Mastermind: Joker (1 copy)
Infiltrate

Ambush:
Fight:
Strike:
Attack:9

Villain: Red Hood (2 copies)
Infiltrate

Ambush:
Fight:
Attack:5

Villain: Harley Quinn (2 copies)
Harley Quinn gets -1 attack for each Joker and Red Hood Villain in Gotham or the Batcave.
Fight: Draw a Card.
Attack:4-

Henchman: League of Smiles (5 copies)
Fight: KO a Hero.

Crime: Revisit the Beginning (1 copy)

Ambush: Each player discards a Batman card or gains an Injury.
Twist: Each player reveals their hand. Each player that reveals a Batman card gains an Injury
Solve: You may KO an Injury from your hand or Discard Pile. If you do, Draw a card.
Attack: 4

Crime: Final Family Dinner (1 copy)
You cannot Solve this Crime if there is a Death in the Family card in Gotham or Crime Alley.
Ambush: Each player discards all their Bat Friend cards.
Twist: Reveal the top three cards of the Villain Deck. Play any Death of the Family cards you revealed. Put the rest back in any order.
Solve: Reveal the top three cards of the Villain Deck. Defeat any Death of the Family cards you revealed. Put the rest back in any order.
Attack: 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Rules Text.

Legendary
DC Legendary - Gotham Nights
Overview

This is my first custom DC Version of Legendary based on the game play of Marvels Legendary, created by Devin Low and the team at Upper Deck. It is populated with the Heroes and Villains of Gotham from selected stories of the New 52 comics, launched by DC in 2011. The Players actions are essentially the same as in Marvel Legendary and its associated games and expansions, and the following Rules assume a familiarity with how the game is played.

Game Summary
Whereas Marvel Legendary focuses on a Team of Heroes fighting against a single Mastermind with a single Scheme, DC Legendary Gotham Nights is a single city besieged by multiple Masterminds with their own evil agenda. The single Scheme, giving Evil only one way to win, has been replaced with multiple Crimes that need to be solved. So what this really means is that every Strike and Twist that you reveal can trigger multiple effects in an effort to thwart your team of Heroes.

How you Win

You must Solve all the Crimes in Crime Alley, capture all the Masterminds in the game and ensure there are no Villains in the Batcave to claim Victory. Crime Alley? Villains in the Batcave? What am I talking about? Read on ...

How Evil Wins
If the Evil Wins criteria of any Crime is completed before the Crime is Solved, then Evil Wins. If Crime Alley gets overrun with Crimes, Evil Wins. If the Batcave gets overrun with Villains, Evil Wins. If the Villain Story Deck runs out whilst there are unsolved Crimes, then Evil Wins. Again, read on for the full explanation.

Game Set Up
The Board

Gotham Nights can be played on the board that comes with Marvel Legendary or Legendary Villains, with a little imagination. Instead of the bulk of play revolving around the Hero and Villain Decks being played out as two Rows of cards, Gotham Nights requires three main rows for card play:
- The Batcave, five spaces along the bottom of the board, where the Heroes are revealed from the Hero Deck so they can be recruited. Identical to the HQ and the Lair from Marvel Legendary.
- Gotham, five named spaces (Sewers, Bank, etc) in the row above the Batcave, where the Villains are placed from the Story Deck (identical layout to the City in Legendary).
- Crime Alley, five spaces above Gotham, which hold the Crimes of the Masterminds as they are revealed from the Story Deck and the Crimes of the general population of Gotham that are fed from a Crime Deck.

The Mastermind space is not used in Gotham Nights, and the Wounds/Bindings, Escape/Overrun & KO cards need to be relocated due to Crime Alley.

Player Deck
Each player starts with an initial deck of twelve cards, eight G.C.P.D. Detectives and four Gotham S.W.A.T.

Game Stacks
Police Commissioner

There are 15 Jim Gordon cards, all worth 3 Recruit, but with different abilities. These cards are shuffled together and placed, face down, on the Maria Hill or Madam Hydra space.

Injuries
Instead of Wounds or Bindings, Players in Gotham Nights will receive Injuries. These have the Keyword Endure, which means they can be KO'd by Discarding a Card with an attack Icon. Where Marvel Legendary Cards refer to Wounds or Bindings, you can substitute the word Injury when combining cards from the different games.

Bystanders
There are 30 Bystanders in Gotham Nights, but none with special abilities. Feel free to incorporate Bystanders from any of the Marvel games or expansions.

** Sidekicks and New Recruits have no equivalent in Gotham Nights, but you can incorporate those Decks from the Marvel Legendary games.

Hero Deck
There are ten new Heroes to choose from in Gotham Nights, from either the Bat Family or the Birds of Prey. Just like in Marvel Legendary you choose five Heroes (for five players add a sixth Hero) and shuffle all their cards together. Place the Hero Deck to the right of the Batcave as usual.

Story Deck
Each Villain group in DC Legendary Gotham Nights is inspired by a Story from one of 'The New 52' comics and is made up of twelve cards:
- One Mastermind card, which has Strike effects.
- One copy each of two different Crimes. These are similar to Schemes/Plots with Twist effects, but they have an attack value and VP points, so they can be Solved and added to a players Victory Pile.
- Four Villain cards (generally two copies of two Villains) that play a roll in the story.
- Five Copies of a Henchman.

The number of Villain groups used to make the Story Deck is equal to the number of players. All twelve cards from each Villain group are added to the Story Deck along with eight Twists, five Strikes and the number of Bystanders as per Marvel Legendary Rules. All these cards are shuffled together and placed to the right of Gotham as usual.

Crime Deck
There are sixteen generic Crimes included in Gotham Nights, classified as Misdemeanors, Felonies or Capital Crimes. The standard Crime Deck is made up of two Misdemeanors, two Felonies and one Capital Crime, chosen randomly from the three groups. Depending on your skill level you can make the Crime Deck harder or easier, or include more or fewer Crimes. Shuffle the chosen Crimes together and place the Crime Deck face down on the Plot space of the Board, to the left of Crime Alley.

Game Play
Player, Hero/Ally and Story/Villain/Adversary Decks work in an identical way to Marvel Legendary. Players draw a six card hand from their Deck and the Hero Deck fills the spots in the Batcave as Heroes are recruited. The Story Deck is played one card at a time, at the start of each players turn, revealing the Adversaries that need to be overcome on the journey to victory. But before you turn over the very first card in the Story Deck, you must reveal a Crime.

Crime Alley
If at the start of a Players Turn there are no Crimes in Crime Alley (such as the very beginning of the game), reveal the top most Crime of the Crime Deck and place it in the first space of Crime Alley. This is the first action of each turn, if required, and occurs before you reveal the next card from the Story Deck. If it has an Ambush, it gets completed before the top card of the Story Deck is revealed.

If a generic Crime is revealed from the Crime Deck or a Villains Crime is revealed from the Story Deck, they enter Crime Alley from the Left, next to the Crime Deck, and any Crimes already in Crime Alley get pushed along to the Right. Crimes are Solved by using Attack, in the same way you capture Villains and Masterminds, and you can Solve as many Crimes during a turn as you have Attack points from playing your hand. Solving all the Crimes from the Crime Deck, and those revealed from the Story Deck, is an essential part of winning the game.

Revealing a Crime Twist
If more than one Crime is in play and a Crime Twist card is revealed from the Story Deck, the effects are executed in the order that the cards entered Crime Alley, performing the Twist effect on the card furthest from the Crime Deck first. If the Twist effect of a card causes another Strike or Twist effect to take place, finish executing the first Twist on all appropriate cards before you start the next set of effects. The final action of every Crime Twist Card is to reveal another Crime from the Crime Deck and add it to Crime Alley. If Crime Alley is full and another Crime is revealed from the Villain Deck or a Twist results in another Crime being added to Crime Alley from the Crime Deck, then Crime has overrun Gotham, and Evil Wins

Gotham
The action of the game is driven by the Story Deck, and the story unfolds as the top card is revealed each turn. Villains enter Gotham to play out their story, the Crimes that are revealed get added to Crime Alley, and Crime Twist and Strike effects execute extra complications, often from multiple Crimes and Masterminds. If more than one card is in play that has a Strike effect, they are executed in the order that the cards entered Gotham, performing the Strike effect on the card furthest from the Story Deck first. If the Strike effect of a card causes another Strike or Twist effect to take place, finish executing the first Strike on all appropriate cards before you start the next set of effects.

Sometimes the Crime Twist or Strike Cards themselves are used by the Crimes and Masterminds to count or indicate something during play. If you need to use the cards for multiple Crimes, grab extra unused cards as stand ins.

Revealing a Bystander
If a Bystander is revealed from the Story Deck, it is captured by the closest Villain. If there are no Villains in play it is captured by the newest Crime in Crime Alley. If there are no Villains AND no Crimes, then it falls under the protection of of the Hero closest to the Hero Deck. The player that recruits this Hero gains that Bystander.

New Keywords
Infiltrate
This is a new Keyword that you will find on a large number of the Villains in DC Gotham Nights. In Marvel Legendary, Villains Escape or Overrun after they have traversed through the City, and generally exit the game. If a Villain has Infiltrate and it exits the Bridge space of Gotham, then you follow any action that is instructed, and the Villain then enters the Batcave, in the space underneath the Bridge. The Hero that was in that space is KO'd. Villains in the Batcave can be fought like usual, and if a space in the Batcave is reclaimed, then fill it with the top card of the Hero Deck as per usual. If a second Villain Infiltrates the Batcave, then the Villains get pushed along, left to right, and another Hero is KO'd from the Batcave. If at any point five Villains have Infiltrated the Batcave, then the Villains have taken control and Evil Wins.

Revive
In the DC crossover story 'The Night of the Owls', our Heroes fight a number of Villains called Talons. They are essentially immortal with unending healing ability, and thus are very nearly impossible to get rid of for good. These Villains very often Revive after they have been taken out in the story and so we created a mechanic to reflect that. If you Fight a Villain with Revive, you look at the top card of the Story Deck. Only if you reveal a Crime Twist or Strike do you get to add the Villain to your Victory Pile. Any other card means the Villain is shuffled back into the Story Deck to return at a later time.

Don't be tempted to let these Villains Escape. They have Infiltrate and will soon overrun the Batcave. You must deal with them as they come up, even if it is only temporary.

Returning Keywords
Charge
The selected card moves forward the required number of spaces, pushing all Villains before it forward.
Demolish
Reveal the top card of the Ally Deck, note its cost, and put it on the bottom of the Ally Deck. Each player reveals their hand and discards a card with that cost.
Savior
This keyword ability on Heroes and Villains rewards you for saving the innocent. It means “Use this ability if you have at least 3 Bystanders in your Victory Pile.”
Spectrum
You can use a card’s Spectrum abilities only if you have at least 3 classes of Hero.
Patrol
Check a space in Gotham, and if the criteria is met, use the ability.
Versatile
When you play a card with the keyword “Versatile” you must first choose
between Recruit and Fight. Once you have chosen, the card provides recruit or fight equal to the Versatile value.
Wall-Crawl
A newly recruited card with Wall-Crawl gets added to the top of your deck rather than your Discard Pile.

Specific Card Clarifications
Bomb Threats in Gotham
When this Crime is Solved, the space it was may be used to hold Villains again. Any Gotham spaces occupied by Twists remain destroyed and are out of use for the remainder of the game.
A Clan of One - Katana
You do not get +1 attack for cards that you Dodge or Discard due to an instruction of another card.
Poison the Reservoir
If there is only one player, then Evil Wins if you are Demolished down to 3 cards or fewer.

Combining DC Gotham Nights and Marvel Legendary
The Heroes from the DC and Marvel games are constructed in the same way, are entirely interchangeable across both universes and can be used in any combination, for either version of the game. However, the construction of the Villain groups in DC Legendary Gotham Nights is a different format, which means combining Villains from both games is not as straight forward. However a little tweaking is all that is required to have Batman team up with Captain America to fight Red Skull and The Joker.

Villains and Henchman
Leaving aside the two Crimes and the Mastermind for the moment, the number of Villains and Henchmen in Gotham Nights is exactly half of the Villain Groups in Marvel Legendary. So the Villain or Henchman cards from two Villain Groups in Gotham can be used as one Villain or Henchmen Group in Marvel Legendary. The 'League of Smiles' + 'The Cleaners', for example, is the equivalent of one Henchman Group. And using Marvel Legendary Villains in Gotham Nights is even easier, because you just take half the number of any Henchman or Villain group you choose, generally just discarding the duplicates.

Masterminds
Using the Marvel Legendary Mastermind in Gotham Nights is simply a matter of discarding the Tactic Cards. Going the other way is trickier, because we need to create something rather than discard it. The easiest solution is to use the Tactics of a different Mastermind that has the same Attack (e.g. using the Dr Doom Tactics for The Joker). Alternatively you can create your own Tactics for the Gotham Nights Masterminds, or use some that have already been created at the forum of BoardGameGeek.com

Crimes
The Crimes are obviously just ignored if you are transporting Gotham Villains to the Marvel Universe. Coming back the other way is just a matter of choosing your favourite Schemes, and assigning some VP and Attack to them, and then shuffling them into the Story Deck.

I'm sure there are other creative ways to get around these problems, and we would look forward to getting your feedback.

Game Contents
216 necessary cards - 4 Decks of 54 cards
14 Cards for 10 different Heroes
12 Cards for 5 different Villain Groups
16 Generic Crimes

162 optional cards - 3 Decks of 54 cards
42 G.C.P.D. Detective (2 spare)
21 Gotham S.W.A.T. (1 spare)
15 G.C.P.D. Commissioner
30 Injuries
30 Bystanders
15 Crime Twists
9 Strikes

Credits & Acknowledgements.
Game Design by Shane Fletcher
From an original concept by Michael Strauss
Based on Marvel Legendary, designed by Devin Low and developed by the Team at Upper Deck. Buy their games. Support their company and the people they employ.
Card Design based on the templates created by Upper Deck, using art, without permission, from DC Comics. Buy their comics in paper form or as digital downloads. Support their company and the people they employ.
Special thanks to all the members of the BoardGameGeek.com forum, who inspired this work through their amazing creativity.

This game is produced as a work of fan fiction, and all of the characters are owned by people and companies not affiliated with me. I give permission for my work in creating this game to be freely used by anyone that wishes to use it recreationaly. No-one may reproduce any portion of this game with an intent to make money, and the copyright and trademark of all the artwork remains with the original creators, owners and publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.