Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: The Naboo Quagmire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not play a lot of games (3 all in all with two opponents) but everytime, Naboo was left at the end of the game as a bloody mess of tangled imperial and rebel bodies and vehicles, with both camp gaining and loosing it multiple times through diplomacy or sheer force.

Naboo seems to be a keypoint to the north-east part of the map or so I analyse this Naboo Quagmire effect.

Did it also happen to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you using the example setup in the Learn to Play guide or the full 'draw Probe cards' setup to randomise starting locations?

My experience is that it's a useful system to hold due to it's many neighbours but I've not had it become pivotal every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I wanted to precise it and forgot. I always played with the basic deployment in the rulebook.
And I'm sure that is amplifying this effect.

I'm just so happy imagining all those dead gungan ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
Yes, I wanted to precise it and forgot. I always played with the basic deployment in the rulebook.

Do try the full setup - makes things interesting!

Duinhir wrote:
I'm just so happy imagining all those dead gungan

Those Gungan have families...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Duinhir wrote:

Do try the full setup - makes things interesting!

Does'nt it make the game ever longuer? there is a lot of reflexion to have for the full setup :/
What would be nice would be alternate deployment scenarii

InappropriateAndy wrote:
Duinhir wrote:
I'm just so happy imagining all those dead gungan ;)

There is no excuse for being a relative of JJ Binks :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Duinhir wrote:
I'm just so happy imagining all those dead gungan

There is no excuse for being a relative of JJ Binks

Meesa say Gungan Lives Matter! Okee-Day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Naboo gets to be testing grounds for the Death Star Super Laser every game I play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
Does'nt it make the game ever longuer?

The full setup doesn't seem to take longer to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Duinhir wrote:
Does'nt it make the game ever longuer?

The full setup doesn't seem to take longer to me.

It isn't longer, with the exception maybe of the extra minute during setup.
But I use this website to "draw" the starting planets anyway.

http://ventersconsulting.com/BoardgameHelpers/StarWarsRebell...

You should definitely use the variable setup once you know the rules, thats when "difficult " setups make you have to overcome them. Also placing the Rebel fleet on Bothwui is so out of the way, is a waste.

And Naboo is a pretty decent stepping stone from either sullust or Rodia on the way to Utupau. and its not a bad system for the rebels to try to gain back because of the building resources
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Full setup is just randomized, and adds in action cards (which are decent, but they don't really add all that much to gameplay). So, I guess by adding a little bit to the game, there's the potential that it makes it slightly longer- but honestly, it's got to be incredibly negligible.

As far as Naboo goes- I mean, I've seen battles there. I've seen lots of battles on Malastare, Kashyyyk, and Rodia, too. Those middle planets, should the Rebels choose to try to hold them, are easy to access for the Empire and could be key lanes for movement. So, it might not be a bad for the Alliance to try to block them off to slow the Empire down- but with the full might of the Galactic Empire, don't expect for those defenses to hold forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full setup really adds two things - variety (you won't always control the same systems, and in the Empire's case, not in the same states) and choice (you can set up to suit your strategy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
All those replies are not accurate! surprise

This is the real reason Naboo is so contested; Everyone wants to kill Jar Jar.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fox
msg tools
Naboo is a crucial base for the Empire to stage at, as it's the most "central" location on the right side of the board. If you can leave the majority of your force there, you're only a few turns away from any system on that side of the board. If you move your whole invasion fleet around searching for the Rebels, you risk sending the majority of your force to check Hoth when the base is on Tatooine. Staging at Naboo prevents the Imperial player from being too far "out of position".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Body
msg tools
I want to like the random full setup, but it always seems like way too big a luck swing.

The Empire getting systems spread out to neighbor the outer regions or Rebel starting planets is HUGE.

The Rebels getting Mon Calamari from the start without the Empire starting next door in Saleucami is HUGE.

Quote:
This is the real reason Naboo is so contested; Everyone wants to kill Jar Jar.

Jar Jar is the key to all this. If you can get Jar Jar working...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All joking aside Naboo is a rather good target for Super Laser Online since you can destroy a rebel loyal system and either neutralize or take Utapauh if you start the Death Star in Rodia which is a common starting point since you're often next to two rebel systems. Also Rodia is a good starting place for the death star since it's centrally located.

also Naboo is more valuable to the rebels than the empire since it's a system that quickly produces fighters which is important for DSP. And rebel fighters are better than ties. Plus quick production is often more valuable for the rebels since the empire often has consistent income anyway. and the rebels have more options with blue triangles than the empire does. For the empire Naboo is kinda meh since the empire values carry capacity more than the rebels and ties are only slightly helpful given their lack of hyper-drive.

Though I find the idea of Palpatine destroying his own home world savage af.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
David Umstattd wrote:
All joking aside Naboo is a rather good target for Super Laser Online since you can destroy a rebel loyal system and either neutralize or take Utapauh if you start the Death Star in Rodia which is a common starting point since you're often next to two rebel systems. Also Rodia is a good starting place for the death star since it's centrally located.

also Naboo is more valuable to the rebels than the empire since it's a system that quickly produces fighters which is important for DSP. And rebel fighters are better than ties. Plus quick production is often more valuable for the rebels since the empire often has consistent income anyway. and the rebels have more options with blue triangles than the empire does. For the empire Naboo is kinda meh since the empire values carry capacity more than the rebels and ties are only slightly helpful given their lack of hyper-drive.

Though I find the idea of Palpatine destroying his own home world savage af.

While the old EU/Legend didn't have a lot to do with Palpy's home world, in the new canon, Palpatine did authorize a contingency plan that activate after he was gone to destroy Naboo with "climate disruption array".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Operation:_Cinder
(In the comic Shattered Empire)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.