Subject: questions following newbie's 1st game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
hello.
Played my first game last night of WotR. Lots of fun. Frodo was on the 3rd marker on the Mordor track before succumbing to the power of the ring.
As we played I wrote down a couple questions we came across and couldnt find the answers in the rulesbook, so I thought Id try posting them here, so we can be a little wiser going into our 2nd game.

1 - If a companion is alone in a region, can the SA move a nazgul to that same region? Or can a neighbouring army attack the companion? How abouts, conversely, if a nazgul is alone in a region. Can it be attacjed by a neighbouring FP's army?

2 - If a region is under attack whilst the fellowship is hiding in that region, are they part of the battle? How abouts if they are revealed in that region before or during the battle?

3 - Once the fellowship is revealed what can the SA do, besides playing event cards, to further corrupt the ring bearers before they become once again hidden?

I'd love to be able to move a nazgul in on a travelling companion and have a one-on-one battle, but Im sure that cant happen since you need army units for a battle.

Thanks for anyone that can help clear up the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your first session for this amazing game! I hope there will be many more.

1. The SA can move a Nazgul into the region, no problem (they coexist), but a companion without an army cannot be attacked nor affected by the SA in any other way. The same goes for a Nazgul (by the FP player).

2. No, the Fellowship does not in any way participate in a battle. The only effect it may have is that certain combat cards become playable if it is in the defender's region.

3. Nothing. The only way to add corruption to the ringbearers at this point is to play cards.

Sorry, there are no personal character battles in this game, the scale is too large. Some combat card play can be interpreted this way - e.g. a hobbit killing the Witch-king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Veghel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Companions or Nazgul alone in a region are not affected by enemy armies. So they are save from armies and other "silver figures" .

2. The FSP is never part of the battle, the armies however do influence the hunt for the ring. The FSP present in the region can be part of the conditions of some event cards.

3. You can only influence the corruption directly using event cards (as you mentioned). You can influence the change for revealing the FSP and thereby indirectly influencing corruption. The more successful reveals you have the more hunt tile syou draw the more they need to fence of corruption.

Edit: Ralf beet me to it, good job Ralf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
thanks guys.
We thought so and played it as you both had said, but I thought we should check that we werent missing another element here.

I guess although a companion is alone in a region, he doesnt stand out like an army unit, so he's much harder to find!

But atleast we know that having a companion on his own isnt a threat. I wondered whether I should wait till i had enough moves to get somewhere safe before moving him to prevent losing him.

We're gonna go for game 2 either tonight or tomorrow... whilst its still fresh in our minds to help get to grips with the whole game.

We skipped some elements of the game just to keep it a little simpler and we were both pretty agressive/reckless just so we could get through it 3 hours.

We didnt use event cards or the political track and didnt use the witch king & mouth of sauron. Think we'll continue with that for the next game but maybe introduce the cards after 3 or 4 rounds.

thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want a shortened, simplified game you could check out this thread discussing a variant I used to help my wife learn the game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17912013#17912013

I found it worked well. The only real issue was balance, it seemed the FP had a hard time of it, despite starting with all nations at war. You might want to try reducing the starting corruption from 3.

But it's definitely quicker and simpler - no cards, no political track and the Fellowship starts not far from Mordor but with no companions left to protect them (just Gollum).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
thanks david.
i actually had already read it and it inspired me to try without the cards (immediately wanted to skip the political track), but I still liked the idea of starting from rivendell and having all of the fellowship to begin with.
I forgot to mention that we also started with the fellowship track at number 3 (corruption at zero) and removed the number 3's from the hunt pool.

thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
Hello.
So I have another small question after having played game 2.
The rules say that if I have the fellowship in Lorien I can heal one corruption if I declare that I am there. And it says that if you stay there you can continue to heal at the fellowship phase of each turn.
Does this still apply even if you have advanced the fellowship track several steps?

I had corruption 5 going into Lorien but then stayed there long enough to reduce back to zero whilst moving up the fellowship track to 6 which got me into mordor without any corruption, so then we began to doubt that that is allowed since it seemed too easy.

My brother said next time he'll have to go after Lorien first next time to try and prevent me being able to cruise into Mordor. I know that the fellowship won't be able to heal if Lorien had been overthrown, but what about if it is besieged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you want to stay and heal in Lorien you need to Declare there in the Fellowship phase, resetting the Fellowship track to zero every turn.

2. You can heal in a besieged Lorien, as long as you control it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
rather than start another thread, i thought id continue this thread since its another neb question...

FP event card: guards of the citadel.
recruit one gondor unit (regular or elite) and one leader in minis tirith.

Under what circumstance would you select a regular over an elite here?
The only example i can think of is due to your recruitment limitations. Is there another part to this Im missing?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
also, once the SA attacks a FP stronghold, and combat cards are chosen, can the FP then beseige? or must this be done before combat cards revealed?
if it is possible to besiege after, are the combat cards voided or retained?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would pick a regular if all of your elites are on the board or dead already.

You decide to fall back into a siege before the cards are selected.

However the free people could elect to fight a field battle and then select scouts to fall back into a siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
Great.
Sometimes you can think you've skipped over a part of the rules and worry its more complicated than necessary, but in testament to these game rules, it always turns out that the answer is the most obvious and straight forward.

Had my first go using the java client last night (against myself) and had a blast. Thanks for helping clear up my questions. I really appreciate this forum and those that make it what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.