Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like to pose he question of personal preference. How do you get into a game? I mean not "oh my __ told me this was to my liking!" No I mean assuming you like me and buy 99% of your games literally on the spot what gets you to buy it? Is it the artwork and then you'll worry about mechanics or do you try and get an opinion from people around you? For me if it's filled with blocky meeples and has bland boards (Pandemic comes to mind or Robinson Corsoe) now don't get me wrong not every game that I like artwise appeals to me. A few games I like artwise reading it (as a lot of games describe albeit briefly the mechanics) give me a headache those tossing it as it were.

What gets you to buy a game on spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very few games have I bought on the spot. I either watch and read a lot of reviews or somebody in our game group has it and I've played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I research games as often as I buy them right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this Point, I'd say: nothing. I only buy new games once I tried them out, or if I am absolutely 100% sure that I will like the game based on reviews or videos. That second thing happens very rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At my first visit to Essen, I got the opportunity to speak to designer Martin Ebel, who demonstrated his game Ponte del Diavolo for me. After that, I wanted to buy the game on the spot, both as a souvenir and because I liked the game itself. (Unfortunately it wasn't available and it was only later that I found it.)

But that was a rare case. Otherwise I only buy games that after having studied rules, reviews etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying on the spot? Oh my, that never happens any more. But I suppose it could, under very specific circumstances. If I was walking down the street and saw Morgan Freeman coming out of a FLGS with a game under his arm, I would be curious. Extremely curious.

I would go to lengths to see what game he had bought. Of course, Morgan Freeman would notice this, he notices everything. He would strike up that smile, the one that tells you that Morgan Freeman knows things about the world that you can never know. Then, the voice would issue forth.

It would explain that this was a 5-player grand strategical game with a historical setting. Free of all the problems that haunt similar games, and playable in under 3 hours even with my AP-prone group. I would balk for a second, wondering how he could know about my group, until remembering that Morgan Freeman knows everything. "Listen, sonny. Give me something interesting to play, and I'm happy. This is interesting," he'd say, showing me the back of the box, where I'd catch a glimpse of beautiful cards and chunky wooden pieces adorning an old school map board.

Mesmerized, even as the box left my view, I would feel his hand on my shoulder, and looking up, that smile again. "Got you thinkin' now, didn't I? Good luck sonny," the voice would say, and Morgan Freeman, being a busy man, would walk away.

Under these circumstances, I would buy on the spot. But it would have to be Morgan Freeman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tufturk wrote:
If I was walking down the street and saw Morgan Freeman coming out of a FLGS with a game under his arm, I would be curious...

Ugh. That is exactly how he talked me into Exploding Kittens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
75% off.

Pete (thinks that's his "insta-buy" price)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
Very few games have I bought on the spot. I either watch and read a lot of reviews or somebody in our game group has it and I've played it.

This. I can't afford to "waste" money on games I won't like/play or won't hit the table enough to warrant their purchase.

As such, there really is no such thing as an "impulse" buy for me. Between an excellent friend with access to an extensive gaming library (he's part of a game group that freely shares/exchanges games) and BGG, I play and research everything I have purchased over the past 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely buy games "on the spot." Most of the time, they have been on my CSI wishlist for weeks or months.

The box cover art and name of the game are the 2 factors that initially draw my attention. Then I look at other images of the game on BGG, read the game summary and BGG user comments and maybe watch a video review or two. If I don't see or hear too many negative things, the game goes onto my CSI wishlist. For context, my wishlist contains hundreds of games that I will probably never buy because they barely made the list. But I keep them there so that I don't lose sight of them . . . maybe my opinion of them will improve over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG ratings combined with BGG comments. I often see games "on the spot" in the FLGS but I always take out my phone and look up the game on BGG. If it gets 6/10 I will probably completely ignore it. If it gets a good rating, I will spend 5-10 minutes checking the comments, number of ratings etc, to determine if it is indeed a good game. Then I buy it and probably don't play it for a year or 3 anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't buy big box games on the spot, I try not to impulse buy games at all. Research everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tufturk wrote:
Buying on the spot? Oh my, that never happens any more. But I suppose it could, under very specific circumstances. If I was walking down the street and saw Morgan Freeman coming out of a FLGS with a game under his arm, I would be curious. Extremely curious.

I would go to lengths to see what game he had bought. Of course, Morgan Freeman would notice this, he notices everything. He would strike up that smile, the one that tells you that Morgan Freeman knows things about the world that you can never know. Then, the voice would issue forth.

It would explain that this was a 5-player grand strategical game with a historical setting. Free of all the problems that haunt similar games, and playable in under 3 hours even with my AP-prone group. I would balk for a second, wondering how he could know about my group, until remembering that Morgan Freeman knows everything. "Listen, sonny. Give me something interesting to play, and I'm happy. This is interesting," he'd say, showing me the back of the box, where I'd catch a glimpse of beautiful cards and chunky wooden pieces adorning an old school map board.

Mesmerized, even as the box left my view, I would feel his hand on my shoulder, and looking up, that smile again. "Got you thinkin' now, didn't I? Good luck sonny," the voice would say, and Morgan Freeman, being a busy man, would walk away.

Under these circumstances, I would buy on the spot. But it would have to be Morgan Freeman.

Be honest, it was Mare Nostrum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
BardicSkaven wrote:

If it's a designer I love, then maybe. Otherwise, nothing. I don't buy a games on the the spot. Have to play it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
BardicSkaven wrote:
I like to pose he question of personal preference. How do you get into a game? I mean not "oh my __ told me this was to my liking!" No I mean assuming you like me and buy 99% of your games literally on the spot what gets you to buy it? Is it the artwork and then you'll worry about mechanics or do you try and get an opinion from people around you? For me if it's filled with blocky meeples and has bland boards (Pandemic comes to mind or Robinson Corsoe) now don't get me wrong not every game that I like artwise appeals to me. A few games I like artwise reading it (as a lot of games describe albeit briefly the mechanics) give me a headache those tossing it as it were.

A combination of the mechanics and theme. One game I bought right away after playing it was The Bloody Inn. Some other games I took an immediate liking to were Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter, and Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It probably helps that the only FLGS near me is more of a gaming venue than a traditional store where one shops and purchases products. The amount of floor space devoted to product for sale is only about 10% of the total store. As such there's rarely anything there that I want and everything is full msrp so that doesn't help either.

All that to say A) I don't have much opportunity for on the spot purchases and B) I really don't have money to burn on impromptu spending like that. Also, I really don't have the space to store lots of games, so I need to be pretty choosy. I can't think of the last game I bought without watching a few videos or playing it once or twice first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:

Keeping an eye on that, it is interesting. It's $100+ here, and I'd like to see a few more reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tufturk wrote:
aaj94 wrote:

Keeping an eye on that, it is interesting. It's $100+ here, and I'd like to see a few more reviews.

I'm interested too - haven't found that perfect sweet-spot civ-builder/area-control game yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:

Nothing. Realizing the folly of that after living with bad purchases (even at 75% off) has cured me of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never done it with a board game, yet. I enjoy the research too much and hate bad decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:

A combination of the mechanics and theme. One game I bought right away after playing it was The Bloody Inn. Some other games I took an immediate liking to were Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter, and Terraforming Mars.

I did the same with the Bloody Inn. I think that unique mechanisms and theme can truly make an instant buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely low price, and not even that any more. It used to be, if the game was $2 and I had vaguely heard of it once, I would consider buying it. Now, I have too many games on my shelves, and even if it was free the storage cost would be too great.

Every game I buy is the result of considerable research. Sometimes, that research was in the past and I just happen to see the game for sale, but I never buy anything I haven't read up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
InfinityReborn wrote:
One game I bought right away after playing it was The Bloody Inn.

I did the same with the Bloody Inn. I think that unique mechanisms and theme can truly make an instant buy.

Making a buy decision after playing it is not what I (or I think the OP) would call "on the spot".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
I don't buy big box games on the spot, I try not to impulse buy games at all. Research everything!

This.

The only exception is when you find a game at a thrift store, but then its not full retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
If the gameplay sounds like it's in my wheelhouse and especially if it's a cool theme, I have no problem just grabbing it.

I know what I like and for the times that I'm wrong...I can often get my money back by selling it or I very much enjoy gifting games to people who really want them.

Plus I come from a video game buying/selling/trading background where you did good if you bought a game for $65 with tax and then sold it for 45 shipped the week after...so the times I lose a little....still a win for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.