Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GMT [+] get_off_my_lawn [+] aggressive-aggressive [+] [View All]
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT released their latest all-time sales numbers and I figured it would be neat to match them up with the number of registered owners here at BGG.

I'm too lazy to bother with formatting, the columns are : name, all-time sales, owned on BGG, BGG owners as percentage of total sales

Twilight Struggle 100000 32817 33%
Battle Line 40000 13782 34%
Dominant Species 25000 12780 51%
C&C Ancients (Base game) 20000 8405 42%
Paths of Glory 16000 6205 39%
Combat Commander: Europe 13000 5923 46%
Wilderness War 11000 3012 27%
Labyrinth 11000 5566 51%
Thunder Alley 9500 2633 28%
Formula Motor Racing 9000 1914 21%
Ivanhoe 9000 2000 22%
C&C Napoleonics (Base game) 9000 3071 34%
Washington’s War 9000 3448 38%
Here I Stand 8500 3930 46%
C&C Ancients Expansion 1 8500 2994 35%

For those who hadn't realized it yet : it's pretty clear it's the non-wargames which keep GMT afloat and allow them to publish "real" wargames.

For the "real" wargames the percentage of BGG owners is pretty steady : between a third and half of all sold games has been registered here at BGG. That's a lot. Publishers and designers can draw their own conclusions from this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting stats!
I'm actually a little surprised that only 33% of Twilight Struggles are registered on BGG, given its #1 status for such a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which of those do you consider to be "real wargames"?
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
devil

Well, Twilight Struggle to start...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
devil

Well, only Ivanhoe of course, it's the only one which has fair maidens in it and that's a requirement for any war - as Hollywood has taught me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lopez
Luxembourg
Hesperange
Outside the U.S./Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
I'm too lazy to bother with formatting, the columns are : name, all-time sales, owned on BGG, BGG owners as percentage of total sales

There ya go !

Twilight Struggle 100000 32817 33%
Battle Line 40000 13782 34%
Dominant Species 25000 12780 51%
C&C Ancients (Base game)20000 8405 42%
Paths of Glory 16000 6205 39%
Combat Commander: Europ 13000 5923 46%
Wilderness War 11000 3012 27%
Labyrinth 11000 5566 51%
Thunder Alley 9500 2633 28%
Formula Motor Racing 9000 1914 21%
Ivanhoe 9000 2000 22%
C&C Napoleonics (Base ga 9000 3071 34%
Washington’s War 9000 3448 38%
Here I Stand 8500 3930 46%
C&C Ancients Expansion 1 8500 2994 35%

eddy_sterckx wrote:
it's pretty clear it's the non-wargames which keep GMT afloat and allow them to publish "real" wargames.

Mark Herman stated that Victory Games' greatest commercial success was:
Dr. Ruth's Game of Good Sex

So nothing changes very much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
For those who hadn't realized it yet : it's pretty clear it's the non-wargames which keep GMT afloat and allow them to publish "real" wargames.

Except almost all those on the list are real wargames, including the top spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

For those who hadn't realized it yet : it's pretty clear it's the non-wargames which Twilight Struggle that keeps GMT afloat and allows them to publish "real" war other games.

FYP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Well, the top game listed clearly isn't a wargame, but eight or nine others on the list are, so that's not too bad!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Well, the top game listed clearly isn't a wargame, but eight or nine others on the list are, so that's not too bad!

devil

True wargamers would disagree with you... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Keep in mind that these numbers only reflect those folks inclined to actually add their collection to the database. Since it's voluntary, there are likely significantly more BGG users who are own these games, but just didn't utilize the collection lisiting available to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
It also reflects only those boardgamers who are on BGG to begin with. I know this comes as a shock to some, but not everyone who owns and plays boardgames bothers to use this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... the initial list compares total GMT sales to BGG stats. i.e., your objections are already handled. (The main potential failure is double-counting from people marking 'owned', trading/selling to someone else who does the same, and the first person doesn't change his status.)

Looks like an average of around 30-40%. Much higher than I would have expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Combat Commander: Europe 13000 5923 46%

This is the total that surprised me the most. I expected the total sales of Combat Commander to be double this or more. Imagine if AH had published it in the 80's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

devil

True wargamers would disagree with you... whistle

I enjoy the repetition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I think most wargamers on BGG have come to the conclusion that card driven (CDG) wargames are "real wargames". What's interesting is that all of the wargames on the top seller list are CDGs. The traditional hex-and-counter games, of which GMT publishes many, are not top sellers.

That includes the East Front Series, Great Battles of History, Great Battles of the American Civil War, Musket and Pike and many other traditional style wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenfeldman wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I think most wargamers on BGG have come to the conclusion that card driven (CDG) wargames are "real wargames". What's interesting is that all of the wargames on the top seller list are CDGs. The traditional hex-and-counter games, of which GMT publishes many, are not top sellers.

That includes the East Front Series, Great Battles of History, Great Battles of the American Civil War, Musket and Pike and many other traditional style wargames.

I noticed the same regarding hex and counter titles, though I suppose Combat Commander has hexes and counters, but it is not a traditional title. As for why that is I can only guess that the card driven designs are perhaps more accessible for newer wargamers and that grogs perhaps find it easier to get opponents when they trot out a CDG. I play them myself on occasion but I always find myself coming back to the traditional designs. Guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur in this regard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Very interesting stats!
I'm actually a little surprised that only 33% of Twilight Struggles are registered on BGG, given its #1 status for such a long time.

I've bumped into two copies of Twilight Struggle that were owned by "casual" gamers. It has a deeper footprint that most of the other stuff you see in the pop charts here on BGG. (In comparison, I've never seen a single Stefan Feld game that was owned by someone outside the BGG community.) Apparently there's something about the game that catches the attention of normal people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Very interesting stats!

I've bumped into two copies of Twilight Struggle that were owned by "casual" gamers. It has a deeper footprint that most of the other stuff you see in the pop charts here on BGG.

I'm happy to be wrong about this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
west hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
catches the attention of normal people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
It also reflects only those boardgamers who are on BGG to begin with. I know this comes as a shock to some, but not everyone who owns and plays boardgames bothers to use this site.

Some are trapped in the Gacy basement known as CSW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've long supposed that BGG represents about a third of the hobby. I'd imagine these ratios would hold when it comes to non-gmt games. They were certainly true for Sierra Madre Games as well as with other publishers I've talked to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
I've long supposed that BGG represents about a third of the hobby. I'd imagine these ratios would hold when it comes to non-gmt games. They were certainly true for Sierra Madre Games as well as with other publishers I've talked to.

I'm entirely armchair theorizing here, but my guess would be even if BGG represents 1/3 of the sales, it doesn't represent 1/3 of the people. That is, the BGG users tend to be frequent purchasers, but number-wise they don't represent 1/3 of the customers headcount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But don't you need to know what % of actual BGG owners have registered their game in order for this data to have any meaning? I don't register any games, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Medlin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
But don't you need to know what % of actual BGG owners have registered their game in order for this data to have any meaning? I don't register any games, for example.

Heretic...lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.