1066: The Year of Three Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Doubts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much time costs play a "1066: The Year of Three Battles" game? Real time, not the indicated by the publisher...
How important is the language dependence of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is intended to be simple, fast and (I hope) fun. Each scenario is 10 turns long, and if you are familiar with the rules, I'd say 2-3 hours. If you are learning the rules, or teaching your opponent, you might need to double that (4-6 hours).
The Hastings scenario will probably take longer than Stamford Bridge, which will probably take longer than Fulford.

Language dependence: the map and counters should be fairly language-independent, especially if your own language uses the Latin alphabet, and not a completely different script (i.e. you can easily distinguish the 'Harold' counter from the 'Haraldr' counter).
The rules are obviously in English, and require good language skills to understand. But if you can teach your opponent in your own language, then there should not be a problem.

My recommendation would be to play the game using the "Battles of the Ancient World" system (if you have the BotAW boxed game or the several S&T games that use it: Marathon, Zama...), both because the battles were actually designed to use that system, and because it's a little bit simpler. Unfortunately a communication breakdown meant the scenarios were published with the "Battles of the Medieval World" system (BotMW), but this system adds some complexity.
And because the scenarios were not designed to use the BotMW system, the core BotMW rules and the 1066 scenario rules are accompanied by an extra set of core rule changes, which, while printed after the core rules, need to be read WITH (or before) them, or you will get confused. See yellow box headed "13.4 Modifications of standard rules" on page 11 of the rules.

But I prefer to play the 1066 scenarios using the BotAW rules, both because I prefer that system, and because I designed the scenarios for it.

The coloured contour layers on the Hastings map are very important for play. Sadly, in the printing process, they came out very hard to differentiate, especially under artificial light. You may need to use a felt pen or coloured pencil to highlight the elevation changes.

If you use the BotAW system, and highlight the elevation changes on the Hastings map, I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Brendan!
Maybe it's a longer game that my usually oponents want... Thanks for explain it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.