Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Terraforming Mars, who own this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin J.

Duesseldorf
msg tools
Hello,

so many sub-forums, i really dont know where to post it.
Maybe someone Terraforming Mars experinced players can answer my issue with that game.

So after we bought Antike 2 and very happy about the decicion, now we are looking forward to Essen (germany) to buy "Mare Nostrum Empire" and Atlas addon. It looks very nice (even without the buildings).

And maybe testing/buying from the same publisher Terraforming Mars and Armageddon (who made Lancaster).

But, after watching youtube videos and reading rules and quick game reference cards about "Terraforming Mars", it looks a bit too simple or unbalanced.

Question / Statement:
For an example: Do i really need to use tons of cards, if it is easier just save money and buy the standard projects?
Instead of collecting 8 plants to create a green tile, i just can buy it directly with Credits. Continue as you have enough Win-Points, and build some cities around that. For every green tile you gain +1 TR (+1 credits)

I mean, at the first, it looked nice and the gameplay, but if you only need credits (Iron and titanium only credits too), why i should waste my credits in cards? Just buy the standard projects.

So it would really more interesting, when i can only can construct some buildings only with titanium as a real ressource.

I hope it was a bit clarify, what i try to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, that's the beauty of Terraforming Mars - the different paths you can take.

But, I will say this, your Corporation will heavily dictate your strategy or at least it should, otherwise you will not fair well, especially if the other players are utilizing their corporation's bonuses effectively.

If you want to use your credits on projects that's fine, but you may be only to get one or two a round, depending on your intake. Then what? You won't be able to buy or play cards, which are definitely needed in the game. You'll be getting one or two turns a round, while other players will be comboing cards, earning additional resources and working towards the end-game milestones and achievements.

I have played three times. I find the game balanced, tight and complex enough to keep my interest.

edit: you can't use titanium and iron credits for the standard projects, you can only use them to purchase cards. How do you build up the titanium and iron engines? By purchasing cards with normal credits, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars has its own forums. Why not post this there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
There is a sub-forum for each game listed on BGG, here is the one for Terraforming Mars - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167791/terraforming-mars...

Your post will probably get the attention of the correct people easier over there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
The Standard Projects are all wastes of money: something you should only be doing if you want to end the game quickly or have no other option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say standard projects are wastes of money necessarily, but they are generally a lot less efficient than using a card.

As for resources, it is true that you only need money to terraform, and most project cards only cost money (and sometimes energy). However, with other resources you can often do things more efficiently. But there are risks associated with all of the resources. If you focus on titanium/steel, you might end up with too few of the types of cards you can spend them on. Plants are very valuable, but they are subject to being destroyed by your opponents, and their value is decreased when oxygen maxes out. Energy is valuable if you have cards that need it, but it is otherwise just a slow method of heat production. Heat lets you raise the temperature to gain terraform rating efficiently, but once the temperature is maxed out, heat becomes mostly worthless.

There are lots of tough decisions to be made in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, the standard projects are quite more expensive than the cards, the Advantage of the standard projects is that they are always available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Yeah, the standard projects are quite more expensive than the cards, the Advantage of the standard projects is that they are always available.

It's been my experience that the more someone has played the game, the more frequently they use the standard projects. It can be a timing thing, to get those freebie increases at certain points in Oxygen or Temp. Or it can be to drop a city in someone's growing vegetation. And a ton of cards decrease Energy Production, so the Power Plant is always useful. Basically, they are "on demand" options for some vital points during a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
hyperinactive wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

It's been my experience that the more someone has played the game, the more frequently they use the standard projects. It can be a timing thing, to get those freebie increases at certain points in Oxygen or Temp. Or it can be to drop a city in someone's growing vegetation. And a ton of cards decrease Energy Production, so the Power Plant is always useful. Basically, they are "on demand" options for some vital points during a game.

Yeah, but they don't replace playing cards according to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
orjanalmen wrote:
hyperinactive wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

Yeah, but they don't replace playing cards according to me.

No, they don't replace them, but it's an important aspect of the game to play standard actions.
Most notably, the mayor and gardener milestone will be gone quickly if you dont use at least 1 or 2 standard actions to get to 3 tiles.

Surely, in an ideal world you would always play the more efficient card projects, but that's simply not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gischer
United States
California
flag msg tools
hyperinactive wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

I agree with this quite a bit. Sometimes the standard projects combine well with your hand, or with your corporation (Standard Asteroid/Temp increase combines well with UN extra TR increase, for instance). Sometimes you just don't have cards that do much for your position, but sometimes you do.

The right card, at the right time, is going to be quite a bit more valuable to you than a standard project, but you don't always get the right card at the right time, and that's what SPs are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.