SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm still seriously confused about some game effects modest

#1. When an Enemy card text instructs to reduce its engagement cost, should I interpret it as if its printed engagement cost would have changed? Or is that reduction intended just for forcing engagement purposes? (e.g. Morgul Wraith from The Land of Shadow, which reads: "While The One Ring is exhausted, Morgul Wraith gets -30 engagement cost"). If the printed engagement cost is effectively reduced, that would mean, for example, that after engaging a "reduced" Morgul Wraith, Sam Gamgee's abilities wouldn't trigger, nor a Dagger of Westernesse would add its combat bonus. Very sad and harsh if this is true. Otherwise, I think those abilities would still trigger, although, the probability of engaging Morgul Wraith would be highly incremented.

#2. (somewhat connected with previous point) After Morgul Wraith reduces its engagement cost and becomes inmune to player card effects, does he immediately become inmune to Tactics Merry's ability (+1 combat for every Hobbit Hero you control)? I don't ask for the abilities of Sam Gamgee or Lore Pippin, because if #1 is correct I guess their response abilities would have been denied against Morgul Wraith immediately after its forced effect is triggered.

#3 How exactly can I differentiate the card effects that become useless against the "inmune to card effects" restriction?

Sorry if all these things have been covered before, but sometimes this game still confuses me blush

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card effects are effects that target those cards specifically. For instance, if a location says immune to player card effects, that means it cannot be affected by things that would target it directly (such as secret paths, or tactics legolas's ability to place progress on the quest/active location after participating in an attack that destroys an enemy). However, that does not mean you cannot use player card effects to boost character stats to use against said cards.

So while an enemy that is immune to player card effects which target them directly (like silvan blade), things like dunedain mark still work as they buff the character stat and not the encounter card.

So the simple rule of thumb is, immune to player card effects means that the only thing they can be affected by will be results based purely off character stats (which can be modified by player card effects that modify them)

Not sure if that is clear to you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. It's more clear to me now. Thanks.
I'm still confused about the engagement cost reduction and its consequences...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
First, there is only one effect that can change a card's "printed" attributes, and that's Hero Gandalf's ability to gain additional printed spheres. In all other cases, when an effect refers to a "printed" stat, it literally refers to the unmodified text on the card itself.

Second, neither Dagger of Westernesse nor Leadership Sam key off "printed" engagement cost (in fact, I don't think anything looks at printed engagement cost). It's just plain engagement cost. That means Morgul Wraith won't trigger either of them while the One Ring is exhausted (unless you manage to reduce your threat below 15, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an enemy's engagement cost has been reduced it's reduced for all purposes, including effects that trigger from being at a lower threat level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Thanks. One more question: the stage 2B of the first quest of Land of Shadow (Across the Dead Marshes) reads: "Forced: At the end of the staging step, if the number of locations in the staging area is less than the number of players in the game, reveal the top card of the encounter deck." It doesn't instruct what to do with the revealed card. I suppose there's a missing text: "...and add it to the Staging Area". Why that part has been omitted? Are they changing the wording of the game? In previous adventures I remember that kind of instructions clearly written. (The location encounter card "Bland Marshes" apparently is another case of missing/unclear text.) cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I'm afraid I can answer the question myself: apparently the purpose of such cards is to trigger just the nasty "when revealed" effects on encounter cards, which, in my understanding, is particularly bad in this scenario because, otherwise, some urgently needed locations would be added to the Staging Area (this stage cannot be completed until there are at least 4 locations in the Victory Display) cry

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever a card is said to be "revealed" it is treated the same as if you had revealed it during staging. If it's a location or enemy it's added to the staging area, and if it's a treachery you resolve it. Any "when revealed" effects will take place, and any surge or doomed must also be resolved.

I guess they don't add "and add it to the staging area" anymore because the word "reveal" has the rules for that baked into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.