United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the first pass of the rules. The objectives were:
The Knight, the Dragon, and the Goblin's text have changed between 10 and 25%.

There are two files. One is the rules without the new pages and the second is what is written for the new pages.

I am going to spend time scanning through the forums making sure I can address questions with these rules.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B8xlQYyEm7zMTFd2...

Proposed New Layout
Page 1 - Cover
Page 2-3 Story text plus expanded components
Page 4-5 Getting started, universal rules, glossary, etc.
Page 6-7 Knight
Page 8-9 Goblins
Page 10-11 Dragon
Page 12-13 Cave
Page 14-15 Thief
Page 16-17 Role Variants
Page 18-19 Terrain Variants and Difficulty variants
Page 20-21 Sample Turn
Page 22-23 Specific examples (sliding tiles together, using cave-in, pushing with bats/slap)
Page 24 Cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time tonight. Enjoyed it though didn't finish due to the venue closing.

If the intent is to combine rulings/etc that have been made, then clarification on what happens to unassigned monster cards would be appreciated.

My wife, playing the Goblins, drew the War Card that adds 0 population to any tribes and then draws 3 Monsters and 3 Secrets. After a bit of hunting, we determined that she could only add one Monster to One Tribe (because the Bones Tribe had a population of 1) and then she held the rest in her 'hand'... eventually we discovered a BGG article indicating unassignable monsters are discarded, but there's nothing in the rules to indicate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rules could include a token/component guide that would be helpful. There were a number of tokens we had to determine by the process of elimination as to what they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
And if each individual character's guide could be more complete that would be awesome. A number of rules for each character we had to deduce by looking in the other character's sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial comments (note, some of my questions have been answered before in the forums, but don't seem to be clearly answered by the rulebook):

General rules:

For the new pages, the top says that the "general" rules (including tile placement/removal) apply to all variants. However, I believe Alone in the Dark is intended to replace normal tile placement/removal rules.

For placing tiles, you might want to specify that a tile entered by the Knight must be connected through the edge the Knight entered on (even if it could be connected through other edges instead). It's covered in the Knight section, but might be helpful to add here.

Wisp states that the Knight cannot enter "occupied" spaces, but the new "move others" rules allow this (as long as there is no player there). Is the Wisp text now incorrect (errata'ed away), or does Wisp still have stricter rules?

May want to include order that players are moved if multiple pieces share a collapsing tile. Is it always Knight first, or does it start with the next player that would follow that removing the tiles. This matters more now that players can't move off onto the same space (i.e. Knight and Thief sharing a tile cannot move to the same tile after a collapse). Also, can a player deliberately block a Collapse even if they don't have to? (a goblin player could move to a Dark tile, but instead moves to the only Lit tile, preventing a surfaced Dragon from doing so and invalidating the Collapse...while otherwise it could move onto the Dark tile, the Dragon moves to the Lit, and the tile collapses). A solution would be to have the order as Knight, Dragon, Goblins, and Thief. Dragon before Goblins since a Surfaced Dragon is more limited in movement, while Goblins/Thief can move on Dark Tiles.

What effects damage players when moved by others? Entering tiles (river, flame wall, lake)? Exiting tiles (magma, river, lit tiles), etc?

Knight:

Can the Shield prevent a tile from collapsing (since that would move the Knight)? This could be used to block the Cave from collapsing a Lit Crystal tile (and let the Knight escape if that was the last Crystal to be smashed in a Knight v Cave game).

You can probably remove the "see dragon chapter about dragon die" from the Knight's Attacking the Dragon section if the dragon die is covered in the new general rules.

Goblins:

For Goblin tribe statistics, strength is listed as equaling population. However, "base" strength = population (since monsters and fang tribe have bonuses).

For populating tribes, may want to mention that only one tribe is scattered even if multiple tribes overpopulate.

If assigned monsters = bones tribe population, can monsters be replaced? As written it appears not (since replacement is part of assignment).

I see that tribes may now move before performing their Special Action. Is this change intentional (makes sense that it would be)?

You might want to clarify what counts as an "attack" for Dragon / Thief / Cave, since Goblins gain Rage and Thief can use Unnatural Evasion when "attacked". Wrath might feel like an attack (since it scatters Goblins), but isn't intended to be. Flame Wall as well. Likewise "Soporific spores" could be interpreted as an attack (since the rulebook says Goblins gain Rage when being attacked, and the player mat says they gain Rage when hit by Spores).

Thief:

Treasure is stashed "if you enter the entrance tile", while Flame Wall hurts "if this tile is entered". If flame wall is on the entrance, does it kill the Thief "before entering" or "after entering" (this affects whether loot is stashed before dying).

Terrain:

Does Mushroom Forest block Soporific Spores? Is Hiss blocked even if used against a Tribe on the same tile?

Can Crystal Curse rotate Terrain (either Lava before tile-bound, or flipping River)?

Variants:

May want to specify that Crystal tiles removed before play (for easier Cave games) count for the win condition. Also, which 3rd of the deck are the crystals/vaults removed from?

For harder cave variants, explain what you mean by Tokens placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
...clarification on what happens to unassigned monster cards would be appreciated.
Noted.
kiloforce wrote:
If the rules could include a token/component guide that would be helpful. There were a number of tokens we had to determine by the process of elimination as to what they were.
Other than correcting the typo on the number of Cave tiles, the components page in this document hasn't been updated yet. With the new page layout that section will be expanding to fill most of two facing pages, so there will be more room to show which components are which. The wooden replacement pieces will also be shown.
Quote:
And if each individual character's guide could be more complete that would be awesome. A number of rules for each character we had to deduce by looking in the other character's sections.
Some have been added. Do you any have specific examples of the rules you couldn't find?

dsdhornet wrote:
General rules:

For the new pages, the top says that the "general" rules (including tile placement/removal) apply to all variants. However, I believe Alone in the Dark is intended to replace normal tile placement/removal rules.
This is addressed by the "Rules Disagreements" section, which says that individual variant rules and cards override the general rules. Alone in the Dark changes how many tiles you place or collapse and adds some additional rules when removing tiles, but the rest of these general rules still apply.

Quote:
For placing tiles, you might want to specify that a tile entered by the Knight must be connected through the edge the Knight entered on (even if it could be connected through other edges instead). It's covered in the Knight section, but might be helpful to add here.
That was intentionally left out of the general section because it's specific only to the Knight. It's meant to be just a general set of rules, without going into detail on the exceptions or special cases.

Quote:
Wisp states that the Knight cannot enter "occupied" spaces, but the new "move others" rules allow this (as long as there is no player there). Is the Wisp text now incorrect (errata'ed away), or does Wisp still have stricter rules?
Wisp is being reworded so the Forced Movement rules will apply. It was never intended to be any more or less strict than other abilities that caused movement.

Quote:
May want to include order that players are moved if multiple pieces share a collapsing tile. Is it always Knight first, or does it start with the next player that would follow that removing the tiles.
This will be noted. Standard turn order applies, always starting with the Knight.

If tiles get blocked while collapsing, they get skipped and the next eligible tiles get collapsed instead. It's possible to "protect" a specific tile from collapsing, but it's only going to be temporary at best.

Quote:
What effects damage players when moved by others? Entering tiles (river, flame wall, lake)? Exiting tiles (magma, river, lit tiles), etc?
It depends on the specific effect. Per the Forced Movement rules, Goblins are immune to damage when leaving a space, which includes the damage from Magma.

They (and other characters) are not protected from effects that apply when entering spaces. This will be in the FAQ.

Quote:
Knight:
Can the Shield prevent a tile from collapsing (since that would move the Knight)? This could be used to block the Cave from collapsing a Lit Crystal tile (and let the Knight escape if that was the last Crystal to be smashed in a Knight v Cave game).
The Movement section will clarify that the player removing the tile gets to control where the affected player(s) move, so Shield will prevent the tile from collapsing by not allowing the Knight to move.

Quote:
For populating tribes, may want to mention that only one tribe is scattered even if multiple tribes overpopulate.
It currently says that if one or more tribes overpopulate, you scatter one tribe, and it goes on to say that the scattered tribe doesn't have to be one that overpopulated.

Quote:
If assigned monsters = bones tribe population, can monsters be replaced? As written it appears not (since replacement is part of assignment).
As long as the total number of Monsters assigned isn't greater than the Bones population, you can replace existing Monsters with new ones.

Quote:
I see that tribes may now move before performing their Special Action. Is this change intentional (makes sense that it would be)?
It was a known side effect of changing how the movement+action rules are written. We couldn't come up with any scenarios where allowing movement before using a Special would have any significant effect on gameplay, so we intentionally didn't add any new language to prevent it.

Quote:
You might want to clarify what counts as an "attack" for Dragon / Thief / Cave, since Goblins gain Rage and Thief can use Unnatural Evasion when "attacked". Wrath might feel like an attack (since it scatters Goblins), but isn't intended to be. Flame Wall as well. Likewise "Soporific spores" could be interpreted as an attack (since the rulebook says Goblins gain Rage when being attacked, and the player mat says they gain Rage when hit by Spores).
This will be clarified better in the Rage box in the Goblins rules, but the more comprehensive list of attacks/non-attacks will be in the FAQ.

Quote:
Thief:

Treasure is stashed "if you enter the entrance tile", while Flame Wall hurts "if this tile is entered". If flame wall is on the entrance, does it kill the Thief "before entering" or "after entering" (this affects whether loot is stashed before dying).
The Thief dies entering the tile and drops whatever loot he was carrying on that tile instead of stashing it.

There may be room to address this under the Flame Wall rules after some wording adjustments happen on the Dragon board, but this is such a specific case that it's best addressed in the FAQ.

Quote:
Terrain:

Does Mushroom Forest block Soporific Spores? Is Hiss blocked even if used against a Tribe on the same tile?
Player pieces inside the forest are protected from Spores.

Hiss is not an attack, and is listed as one of the restricted abilities.

Quote:
Can Crystal Curse rotate Terrain (either Lava before tile-bound, or flipping River)?
Yes.

Quote:
Variants:

May want to specify that Crystal tiles removed before play (for easier Cave games) count for the win condition. Also, which 3rd of the deck are the crystals/vaults removed from?
The change to the number of tiles needed to collapse is noted on the cards and will be in the rules edit, but was added just after this first pass was already put together.

The remaining crystals and vaults should be distributed as equally as possible between the three portions of the stack.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Keep it coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
dsdhornet wrote:
This is addressed by the "Rules Disagreements" section, which says that individual variant rules and cards override the general rules. Alone in the Dark changes how many tiles you place or collapse and adds some additional rules when removing tiles, but the rest of these general rules still apply.

I guess my issue is that the top of the section states: "rules in this chapter apply to all games of Vast: The Crystal Caverns, regardless of the roles or variants in use, and are relevant to all five roles". Then the last section states: "If a rule given by a variant contradicts a rule in the standard rules, follow the rule given by the variant". So you state that general rules beat variants, but variants beat standard rules (which would seem to include the general rules).

Quote:
Quote:
It depends on the specific effect. Per the Forced Movement rules, Goblins are immune to damage when leaving a space, which includes the damage from Magma.

They (and other characters) are not protected from effects that apply when entering spaces. This will be in the FAQ.

You may want to reword the River Terrain text then. I believe that you intend movement against the current to be similar to moving in the lake (but worst). However, instead of losing 1 population when leaving a tile against the current it states "it immediately loses 1 Population per square when moving against the current." (failing to specify whether it is lost when leaving the tile or when entering the next).

Quote:
Quote:
As long as the total number of Monsters assigned isn't greater than the Bones population, you can replace existing Monsters with new ones.

You may want to clarify that then, since I (and many others) would consider placing a monster from my hand to be "assigning", regardless of whether it's assigned to a empty slot or assigned to an occupied slot (replacing the current monster).

Quote:
Quote:
The Thief dies entering the tile and drops whatever loot he was carrying on that tile instead of stashing it.

There may be room to address this under the Flame Wall rules after some wording adjustments happen on the Dragon board, but this is such a specific case that it's best addressed in the FAQ.

Ah, for this (and others), I wasn't aware what was in the extra FAQ section, so if the questions are covered there then no worries.

Quote:
Quote:
Player pieces inside the forest are protected from Spores.

That might be a good one to add to the list (or cover in the FAQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
You may want to clarify that then, since I (and many others) would consider placing a monster from my hand to be "assigning", regardless of whether it's assigned to a empty slot or assigned to an occupied slot (replacing the current monster).
There appears to be a minor point of confusion here. Unlike Secrets, you never keep a hand of Monsters - you either assign them to tribes immediately after you draw them, or you discard them. If you want to replace an existing one, you do that when it's drawn and discard the previous Monster.

It wasn't completely clear that the excess and replaced monsters get discarded immediately so that's already been marked to include in the next edit, and it should cover this at the same time.

Quote:
Ah, for this (and others), I wasn't aware what was in the extra FAQ section, so if the questions are covered there then no worries.
We're not currently planning to include a FAQ section in the updated rulebook, but there will be an official one that will be made available as a PDF - here at BGG for sure, and most likely on the LederGames website too.

There will be a note in the rulebook telling players where to go to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
We're not currently planning to include a FAQ section in the updated rulebook, but there will be an official one that will be made available as a PDF - here at BGG for sure, and most likely on the LederGames website too.

There will be a note in the rulebook telling players where to go to find it.

I feel like if a FAQ isn't being included with the rulebook as part of the game, the odd cases should really be covered in the rulebook.

Not everyone is going to have immediate access to the FAQ, and if people are still going to be required to go to the internet for rules clarifications (when you're making an updated rulebook), then something feels off. The fact that these questions have already been asked by people (in some cases multiple times), means that they are not just extremely rare cases.

Being harmed when pushed into a harmful tile seems very unlike every other rule in the game...you can't push a player into another players tile (and cause an attack that might harm them), and you can't harm someone by pushing them out of tiles which would normally harm them. So why would someone feel like being pushed into a tile against your will would be treated differently from being pushed out of one?

And leaving what is considered an "attack" (with regard to the Goblins and Thief) out of the rulebook seems a huge mistake, based on the number of times the question has been asked in the forums. If you clarify/expand the Rage section, you should also clarify the Unnatural Evasion section as well (I think those are the only place it's an issue). The word "attack" doesn't even appear on the Dragon's page except regarding attacks against the Dragon, and the only place the word "attack" appears on the Cave's page is regarding players moving off collapsing tiles. On the Thief's page, only Backstab mentions being an "attack" (Pickpocket does not). Rules as written, the Dragon and Cave can't "attack" anyone, and the Thief only "attacks" with Backstab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I agree that the FAQ should be included in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
I feel like if a FAQ isn't being included with the rulebook as part of the game, the odd cases should really be covered in the rulebook.
We're trying to minimize the need for a FAQ by covering as many of the odd cases as possible with edits, including the confusion with what is or isn't considered an attack.

The FAQ will definitely not be set up as comprehensive rules or something that is essential to playing the game. What it will do is provide more detail on anything where players may need more (or a different) explanation on specific aspects, even though they are already covered from a rules standpoint.

We're going to make sure that only the things that count as attacks will be listed as attacks, and any non-attacks (like Spores or Hiss) that still trigger Rage will be listed separately as an effect that increases it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
We're trying to minimize the need for a FAQ by covering as many of the odd cases as possible with edits, including the confusion with what is or isn't considered an attack.
We're going to make sure that only the things that count as attacks will be listed as attacks, and any non-attacks (like Spores or Hiss) that still trigger Rage will be listed separately as an effect that increases it.

Ok (if it's in the rulebook then no need to include the FAQ). My comments had been based on:

Woelf wrote:
Woelf wrote:
This will be clarified better in the Rage box in the Goblins rules, but the more comprehensive list of attacks/non-attacks will be in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Van der Meulen
Belgium
Bornem
flag msg tools
In the Goblin rules it says "After completing its movement, if any, an
activated Tribe may perform one action of your choice: Attack, Plunder, Explore, Reveal, Hide, or its special action.
A Tribe on your player board cannot move."

As movement is optional ("if any"), this could be interpreted as that a tribe on the player board, though it cannot move, could still perform the other actions. Maybe it would be good to explicitly mention that the only action possible for a tribe on the player board is to be placed on the map (revealed or lurking). This could also be mentioned in the "Reveal" section:

"To reveal a hidden Tribe, move its Goblin Tribe piece from your player board onto any Dark tile showing that Tribe’s symbol.
If there are no such Dark tiles on the map, you may instead place the Tribe on an open space (no tile) adjacent to any other tile. This Tribe is lurking.
A tribe that has been placed on the map (revealed or lurking) cannot perform any other action in the same turn."

Just to clarify: if a monster card allows me to draw monsters, but I cannot assign them due to the Bones tribe strength, I do draw the cards and then simply discard them, right? Or can I choose not to draw monster cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StefVdM wrote:
activated Tribe may perform one action of your choice: Attack, Plunder, Explore, Reveal, Hide, or its special action.

As movement is optional ("if any"), this could be interpreted as that a tribe on the player board, though it cannot move, could still perform the other actions. Maybe it would be good to explicitly mention that the only action possible for a tribe on the player board is to be placed on the map (revealed or lurking). This could also be mentioned in the "Reveal" section:

"To reveal a hidden Tribe, move its Goblin Tribe piece from your player board onto any Dark tile showing that Tribe’s symbol.
If there are no such Dark tiles on the map, you may instead place the Tribe on an open space (no tile) adjacent to any other tile. This Tribe is lurking.
A tribe that has been placed on the map (revealed or lurking) cannot perform any other action in the same turn."
The Attack and Plunder actions specify that the Tribe has to be in the same space as the target, while Explore requires the Tribe to be on a Dark tile next to an open space - all of which are physically impossible for a hidden Tribe to do. The Special Actions specifically state that they cannot be performed by a hidden Tribe.

Quote:
Just to clarify: if a monster card allows me to draw monsters, but I cannot assign them due to the Bones tribe strength, I do draw the cards and then simply discard them, right? Or can I choose not to draw monster cards?
You always draw (and discard) even if you can't assign any.

You shuffle the discard pile when it runs out, so if you missed one you really wanted, you can get it back later by cycling through the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
StefVdM wrote:

The Attack and Plunder actions specify that the Tribe has to be in the same space as the target, while Explore requires the Tribe to be on a Dark tile next to an open space - all of which are physically impossible for a hidden Tribe to do. The Special Actions specifically state that they cannot be performed by a hidden Tribe.

Quote:
You always draw (and discard) even if you can't assign any.

You shuffle the discard pile when it runs out, so if you missed one you really wanted, you can get it back later by cycling through the deck.

Our group also stumbled on the Goblin rules a bit until we realized:
A Hidden Tribe can only Reveal (Lurk).
A Visible Tribe can do all the other stuff, which included a free MOVE action before taking any other "normal" Action.

I think stating it that way is easier to understand than saying any tribe can perform any action, but hidden tribes can't perform {list of all actions except reveal/lurk}.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules state that Goblin Tribes (when forced to move) can't be moved onto spaces with other players. Does this include other Goblin Tribes?

If a newly Revealed is adjacent to Lit tiles (with non-wall edges), but those tiles do not connect all the way to the Entrance, is there any restriction on placement? I.e. do you need to match at least one non-wall side if possible, or can you wall it off completely from all other Lit tiles? (Assume this tile was not Revealed by Knight entering non-walled edge, since that situation is clear).

If Knight Reveals a tile while entering from a section of map that doesn't connect to the Entrance, do they have to also try to attach the tile to the Entrance if possible?
| KD|
| E |

K = Knight, D = Dark tile. Knight enters Dark tile and reveals it, finding a 90-degree elbow...can Knight arrange elbow up, or would they need to direct it down to connect to the entrance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
New rules state that Goblin Tribes (when forced to move) can't be moved onto spaces with other players. Does this include other Goblin Tribes?

If a newly Revealed is adjacent to Lit tiles (with non-wall edges), but those tiles do not connect all the way to the Entrance, is there any restriction on placement? I.e. do you need to match at least one non-wall side if possible, or can you wall it off completely from all other Lit tiles? (Assume this tile was not Revealed by Knight entering non-walled edge, since that situation is clear).

If Knight Reveals a tile while entering from a section of map that doesn't connect to the Entrance, do they have to also try to attach the tile to the Entrance if possible?
| KD|
| E |

K = Knight, D = Dark tile. Knight enters Dark tile and reveals it, finding a 90-degree elbow...can Knight arrange elbow up, or would they need to direct it down to connect to the entrance?

My understanding is that the Knight has to make the tile accessible from the edge they entered. All other players have to reveal so that the tile is traceable back to the Entrance tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
My understanding is that the Knight has to make the tile accessible from the edge they entered. All other players have to reveal so that the tile is traceable back to the Entrance tile.

You're right, in that the Knight has to make the tile accessible. In my example, one of the "legs" of the elbow must connect to the left (where the Knight came from). If the tile was a straight corridor, it would be impossible to do that AND connect to the Entrance, so the 1st rule takes priority. If it's an elbow or a tee, however, it could be placed connecting to where the Knight came from AS WELL AS made to connect to the Entrance (or not, depending on where the Knight chooses to place the wall). I'm trying to understand if the Knight must also try to connect to the Entrance (AFTER meeting the "connect to tile entered from" requirement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
It intentionally refers to other players rather than other player pieces, so two or more Tribes can be moved into the same space.

Quote:
Out of habit most players will probably still connect to adjacent tiles, but it's not mandatory if there isn't a connection back to the entrance.

Quote:
| KD|
| E |

The general connection rule still applies to the Knight whenever possible. Usually that will be satisfied by the edge she entered the space from, but in cases like this or (more frequently) when using the Ancient Map, she may be forced to connect a different edge instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't gotten a chance to read this rules pass but is everything you just said about the tile orienting priorities in the rules? Including the ancient map exception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
I haven't gotten a chance to read this rules pass but is everything you just said about the tile orienting priorities in the rules? Including the ancient map exception?

I believe so. The rules say that if moving through an open side (with no wall), you must place an open side of the revealed tile against where you entered from.

It doesn't really specify that you still have to follow the general rules, but that might be implied.

The only big gap is that General rules say you must connect to Entrance, Knight rules say you must connect to tile entered from, but there's no clarification as to which wins if you can't do both at once (the Knight rules should win, but it doesn't say that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.