8 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn» Forums » General

Subject: Question about the base set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I play most games with my wife. She *LOVES* dice games, Elder Sign and Age of War are her favorites.

I am not opposed to Collectible games, but they don't excite me either (I'm a want not, waste not type of guy).

Is there enough game in the starter set for us to play (once or twice a month), or is it imperative that I get at least $20 worth of boosters to make the game playable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that at that level it is definitely playable. You could look atound for an trader selling singles. I boosted my base for this game very cheaply in this manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is enough in the starter set to play a "basic" game. However, you will get bored of it quickly, especially when you discover that the starter set doesn't come with enough stuff for two people to play a tournament-style game. For that, you'll need more cards and dice.

People regularly sell sets of commons and uncommons on eBay, and that (in addition to the starter set... it's a required purchase) will definitely get you enough for enjoyable tournament-style play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Forgive my newbishness what is "tournament-style"?

This game as I understand it is based off Quarriors. Is the standard Quarriors game "tournament-style"?

Thanks in advance for your answers and patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmb
What he's referring to with "tournament-style" is that the rules call for up to 8 cards and 20 dice per team. The starter sets tend to come with 3 variations of 8 characters (24 cards), but only 2 dice for each, for a total of 16 character dice. That's not enough to field a complete team for one person, let alone two.

Dice Masters is definitely a collectible game that focuses on interesting combos to be found by mixing together the dice from not just one set but all of the various sets. It's a blast, but I'm a collector and enjoy flipping through a big binder of different cards looking for those combos.

I believe that Quarriors was a better all-in-one-box experience, which it sounds like may be more your thing.

Alternatively, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles set might provide a valid all-in-one-box version of Dice Masters. It lends itself to mixing and matching with other set, but it does come with full playsets (3 dice for each character and a limit of 3 dice per character) of all of the dice and enough characters to run 8 characters for each player and a full compliment of 20 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would rather not add to the game, then perhaps Quarriors is the better choice for you. There is more game in a Quarriors box than a Dice Masters starter set. But if you like the theme, then you would probably want to add the starter set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everybody! I do like the theme here, but I may give Quarriors a longer look, just wasn't sure how much "game" was in the starter set. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrice lalet
France
Carcassonne
Aude
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the dice masters d&d sarter set, is cheap and very nice way to discover dice masters system. it completly worth to buy IMO.some boosters give some more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.