Subject: Cards clarifications (Ploughman, Roulotte, others) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giovanni Castellari
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm new to Agricola and don't know if my interpretation of some cards is correct, do you mind helping me? Below is my translation of texts from the italian 2016 edition. I tried to translate as literally as possible, sorry for mistakes.

Ploughman (A090*): "Once you have a stone house, at the start of a round you can pay 1 Food to plough 1 Field."

Can I pay 2 Foods to plough 2 Fields?

Similarly, Cow Feeder (B166*): "Each time you use the Grain Seeds action space, you can also buy 1 Cow by paying 1 Food."

Can I buy 2 Cows by paying 2 Foods?

In theory I'd say YES, because another card (Groom B089*) says "Once you have a stone house, at the start of a round you can build exactly 1 Stable by paying 1 Wood." That exactly should tell the difference, but it sounds strange to me that I can spend N Foods to plough N Fields at once etc..

And another doubt is: if I have in play both

Roulotte Caravan(B010*): "This card provides room for 1 person."

and

Priest Pastor (B163*): "Once you are the only player to live in a house with only 2 rooms, you immediately get 3 wood, 2 clay, 1 reed, and 1 stone (only once)."

Is there any chance that I will get those goods or not because of the Roulotte?

Thank you for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnCa14 wrote:
I'm new to Agricola and don't know if my interpretation of some cards is correct, do you mind helping me? Below is my translation of texts from the italian 2016 edition. I tried to translate as literally as possible, sorry for mistakes.

Ploughman (A090*): "Once you have a stone house, at the start of a round you can pay 1 Food to plough 1 Field."

Can I pay 2 Foods to plough 2 Fields?

No, you can pay one food to plow one field, that's it.

Quote:
Similarly, Cow Feeder (B166*): "Each time you use the Grain Seeds action space, you can also buy 1 Cow by paying 1 Food."

Can I buy 2 Cows by paying 2 Foods?

No, see above.

Quote:
In theory I'd say YES, because another card (Groom B089*) says "Once you have a stone house, at the start of a round you can build exactly 1 Stable by paying 1 Wood." That exactly should tell the difference, but it sounds strange to me that I can spend N Foods to plough N Fields at once etc..

Not sure why they included "exactly" in that one, but your instincts are correct. Being able to pay N food to plow N fields would be incredibly overpowered.

Quote:

Roulotte (B010*): "This card serves as a room for one of your people."

and

Priest (B163*): "If you are the only player still living in a House with only 2 Rooms, immediately take 3 Wood, 2 Clay, 1 Reed and 1 Stone (only once)."

Thank you for your time!

Not sure about that one off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Roulotte (B010*): "This card serves as a room for one of your people."

and

Priest (B163*): "If you are the only player still living in a House with only 2 Rooms, immediately take 3 Wood, 2 Clay, 1 Reed and 1 Stone (only once)."

Thank you for your time!

Not sure about that one off the top of my head.[/q]

If it says it serves as a room, then yes, it would count in that instance and you would effectively have 3 rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Castellari
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've found pics of the english version and edited the first post. So the real english cards are:

Caravan(B010*): "This card provides room for 1 person".

Pastor (B163*): "Once you are the only player to live in a house with only 2 rooms, you immediately get 3 wood, 2 clay, 1 reed, and 1 stone (only once)."

FunkyBlue wrote:

If it says it serves as a room, then yes, it would count in that instance and you would effectively have 3 rooms.

An objection could be that Pastor talks about Rooms in a house. With the real world in mind, I think it could be fair to consider a Caravan as not being in a house. I wouldn't even consider it when renovating, for example.

Also, does Caravan count for:

House Steward(B136*): "At the end of the game, the player(s) with the most rooms receive 3 bonus points each."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my neck of the woods, we've never counted Caravan as part of one's hut/house/home. Thus, Pastor triggers if you have only two rooms and the Caravan. Likewise, Small-Scale Farmer.*

*I just played a game with my pal, Ron, in which this took place. He collected a 13Wood from S-SF. He also still got crushed 41-24.

P.S. We would say, no, Caravan does not count toward the House Steward bonus. But you do have to heat it in "FotM" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the actual text of the card doesn't say that it counts as a room. Very fine difference there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caravan provides room for 1 family member, but it is not a room.

Therefor it does not count for Pastor or House Steward and it does not need to be heated in FOTM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
Therefor it does not count for Pastor or House Steward and it does not need to be heated in FOTM.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that point. Whoever's living out there is going to be one chilly peepsicle otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Castellari
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:

This. In the meanwhile I had sent the questions to Uwe Rosenberg and his answers are the same:

1) If I have Caravan in play, do I have to spend 1 more resource when renovating my house (because it's like I had 1 additional room)? no

2) If I have both Caravan and Pastor in play, is there any chance that I will get those goods or not because of the Caravan? yes

3) Does Caravan count as an additional room for the House Steward bonus? no

I don't know FOTM so I didn't add also that question about heat.

Thank you all for your support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
zlorfik wrote:

We will just have to agree to disagree on that point. Whoever's living out there is going to be one chilly peepsicle otherwise. ;)

I agree thematically and in decks outside of FOTM, other cards do not take FOTM into account. Thats probably the reason why Peat Hut includes a sentence that it does have to be heated and Caravan does not. So the new edition of FOTM could and maybe should include a ruling for cards like Caravan.

But right now the rules are pretty clear that only the rooms in your home have to be heated and Caravan is not one of those. So saying that Caravan has to be heated is a house rule. A sensible house rule, but a house rule nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.