Subject: 'stacking' combat strength modifiers question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McCaffery
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I understand you CAN'T combine, for example, a +3 strength for a gun (weapon) and a +4 strength for different gun (weapon) to total +7. However, can I combine a +3 weapon (gun) with a +4 dynamite (dynamite is listed as an ITEM, not a WEAPON) to give me the +7 strength modifier during combat? I think the answer is 'no' but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't add +s from more than one card of any kind, to any test of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, the rule in the reference guide (Tests) is:
He may use one effect that provides a bonus (for example “Gain +3 Will”). If multiple effects provide a bonus, he uses only the highest bonus.

"Effect" here covers different types of assets, spells, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, while you can only use one weapon bonus skill modifier at a time, you can use other effects from multiple weapons.

From the FAQ:

Q Can an investigator use multiple weapons during combat?
A. An investigator can apply only a single bonus to a test. However, he may use any other effects from his other possessions. For example, if an investigator has a Bull Whip Asset and a .45 Automatic Asset, he may apply the +3 bonus from the .45 to his STR instead of the +1 bonus from the whip, and he may reroll one die by using the whip’s other effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmccaffery wrote:
I understand you CAN'T combine, for example, a +3 strength for a gun (weapon) and a +4 strength for different gun (weapon) to total +7. However, can I combine a +3 weapon (gun) with a +4 dynamite (dynamite is listed as an ITEM, not a WEAPON) to give me the +7 strength modifier during combat? I think the answer is 'no' but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Also, IIRC the dynamite item is not used in combat encounters, but provides an action that deals damage to monsters on a space when the dynamite item is discarded. Pretty useful for clearing out a crowded space before you have to encounter all the monsters there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
He was thinking Kerosene, which is consumable for +5, but like any gain +x doesn't stack with (other) weaponsbonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCaffery
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
thanks for the replies folks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.