Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1st I want to say I am not a professional Reviewer. I have only done a few reviews. I love board gaming.
This review like any review are personal opinion's and comparative to other games by the same size Company.

Pros:
Component quality is Good

Art work is Good.

Instructions Good

Cons:
Board game size. Almost a Double con

Player boards are to small. Cargo Holds, and crew do not fit properly. Another almost a Double con.

1st Game conclusion.

Completed 1st game BASE GAME ONLY (2players)competitive Not recommended. 3 plus players only. Once started the game went smooth. Playing the base game only my opponent ran away with the scoring. RECOMMEND USING ALL THE EXPANSIONS when playing to players. Not sure if that will help at all. There are a lot of actions on the board so it seems that the more players the tougher the game.

Played 2 player coop seemed easy. At one point we thought we were going to lose the game. then we thought it out and let things get destroyed that we don't need.
Messed up on the rules with the Captain on the mining. Took 2 resources instead of taking the mining action twice.

I really wanted to like Dark Rock. I have not played with all the expansions. This will change my opinion. How much? We will see.
I would have spent the money on the larger game board and not going with semi custom wood bits for recourses Cubes would have been good and they would have fit on the player mat.

Going to do the full game with more players and update this review. Some Day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
As one who played some pre-test and final versions, I agree. I am glad that MagicMeeple decided to make the board as big as they did, but I agree that it is still too small.

And the cargo holds are small for the goods - that would have been nice. Overall, though, as you indicated, the components are otherwise very nice and the quality is there for all the custom bits and neat colors.

Hope your future plays are more interesting. We played a 4-player this weekend and it was pretty established until the very last turn when the person likely in 3rd place bet on platinum and actually got the dice roll to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.