Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I was recently asked by a friend (during an existential discussion) that there should be a game about aging, getting older, death and/or existence.

Not sure how I would go about searching for that on the Geek; but I'm guessing if there is such a game (or games) the overall knowledge of our members would be able to point me to such.

Any thoughts?

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say look into Village, which has a time mechanism which produces an aging effect for workers. Praetor has retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of any such game, but as sure as eggs are eggs, some witty soul is gonna come up with the title ...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Game of Life

If it ever turned out there was a game dealing with this, I would be greatly intrigued to know how such a game would go about representing such a theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CV is a pretty good card game about life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pursuit of Happiness fits the bill. Well rated too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pursuit of Happiness is a game about moving through life and finding the activities/people to make yourself the happiest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
The Pursuit of Happiness fits the bill. Well rated too.

This is the game I came to mention as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid-Life Crisis.

This is not an endorsement. It's awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
cr0835ab wrote:
I'd say look into Village, which has a time mechanism which produces an aging effect for workers. Praetor has retirement.

Although if your friend is into dying, Village is maybe the best choice. Your workers die all the time and you put them into either graves or the village chronicle. Morbid fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday - a solo deckbuilder - features an aging mechanic, where each time you cycle through your deck, you need to add an aging card to it. If you want to draw more cards than you're allowed to by the challenge, you have to lose life points for it. Also, if you lose a challenge, you lose life points. Some cards let you heal, and I recall one (aging) card which is pretty existential. It forces you to stop. (not stop playing, but stop drawing cards to deal with the current challenge.) (alternatively, it causes you to stop and reflect on the futility of your endeavor.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anneke Zakoor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

A Chaotic Life is a short and more simple, but fun, game where you grow up, choose your path, and adapt to bad things happening (based on what your opponent does to sabotage you). It was a Kickstarter game last year so it might not be as widely known. It's a card game though so if you are looking for a board game this won't work.

Their website is www.grubton.com if you wanna check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um ... Last Will? A lighter side to our end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
Kind of new to posting, but I've been developing a game that, while abstract, charts the progress of s civilization. It began as a solitaire game because I often wanted to play hex games and no one would be in the mood. But I currently wanted to make a pocket edition of the game, which I printed & played yesterday. It's called Proliferation! and you can find a Vassal module version of it on Vassal's web site. http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Proliferation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played my copy yet, just got it from Kickstarter, but Karmaka might be worth a look. You reincarnate through several stages, starting as a dung beetle and ending with enlightenment. How you choose to play/live factors in. If you play an attack card against an opponent, karma applies and they are given the chance to then take that attack card into their hand for their next "life," when they may use it against you. It sounds like it might qualify as existential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barbarick
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MIL (1049) has aging, marriage, children and dying in the middle ages as a central part of the game.

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy is about building your family through marriage and having children over 3 generations. Thematically you die before the 4th generation comes of age and the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring Out Yer Dead, maybe? Competing to get the most awesome grave plots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Village

For death, maybe The Downfall of Pompeii? They get caught by the lava.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Shadow of the Emperor, you use family members to gain influence, but each turn they age and can die off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Wow! And the community responds.

Some great suggestions and some I've already played and just had forgotten a mechanic or two.

And a few leads to some interesting alternatives.

Much thanks,

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
And, of course, there's the Game of Life. And the Game of Life is actually a 100th anniversary commemorative edition of "The Checkered Game of Life", invented by Milton Bradley himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny Friends You start in puberty, then go on to adulthood, trying to achieve 5 life goals. Events affect your levels of:
smoking, drinking, drugs, wealth, health, weight, happiness, religion, wisdom, who you know, have had sex with, have a kid with, are married to, and are broken up with. No dying, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SilentCat wrote:
I haven't played my copy yet, just got it from Kickstarter, but Karmaka might be worth a look. You reincarnate through several stages, starting as a dung beetle and ending with enlightenment. How you choose to play/live factors in. If you play an attack card against an opponent, karma applies and they are given the chance to then take that attack card into their hand for their next "life," when they may use it against you. It sounds like it might qualify as existential.

Thought so too, but it's just a light take-that card game with good art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death. It has dying, childbirth, aging, as well as fighting monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.