Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
*The Run Down
I thought Wager Master was good and all but felt more like a game master type villain than a trickster. So I thought, hey, I think I can make a cool trickster. I said this to myself as I was watching Aladdin and then I was like, hey, A genie would be a great trickster. Thrice helps players along while trying to make things as hard as possible at the same time by hurting the rest of the team.

*Bio
Long ago, Thrice ruled the land, making the lives off men difficult with his Djinn. One day, a human king had enough of Thrice and his kind and waged a war against them. Thrice had not expected such ferocity or the preparedness of the humans. By the end of the war, Thrice was defeated. His people enslaved to King Solomon, while he was cursed to a jewel and thrown into the desert. As the years went by, he was summoned to grant the wishes of humans before being cast away again. He hated humans fiercely. He began to mess with the wishes of his masters, making them curses instead of blessings. The curse on him grew weak over time allowing him to do more terrible things to his masters until one day he learned he no longer needed to wait for them to make a wish for him to grant them. He just could look into their minds and see what they wanted or needed and grant them that unspoken wish and twist it. He best work yet was when he cursed a young, upcoming performer with a magic voice that she could not turn off. She would either destroy all around her or would have to be silent. The irony to him was priceless. Now he waits to find new victims.

Villain: Thrice
HP: 60
Nemesis: Siren

Villain Character Card, Front (Summoned Genie)
-------------------------
Setup:
At the start of the game, put Thrice's character cards into play "Summoned Genie" side up. Search the deck for the "Magic Jewel" card and put it into play. Shuffle the villain deck.

Gameplay:
-Thrice is immune to all damage.
-At the start of the villain turn, if three wish cards are in play, flip Thrice's character cards if they have not already been flipped this turn.
-If "Magic Jewel" is destroyed, flip Thrice's character card over.

Advanced: At the end of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.

Villain Character Card, Back (Malevolent Djinn)
----------------------------
Gameplay:
-At the end of the villain turn, Thrice deals all hero's (H) lightning damage.
-When a villain card is played, activate the price effect on all wish cards in play.
-At the start of the villain turn, flip Thrice's character card unless "Magic Jewel" is in the trash or it has been flipped this turn already.

Advanced: At the end of the turn, if "Magic Jewel" is not in play, search the villain deck and trash for it and put it into play. Then shuffle the villain deck.

Ongoing, Wish (Qty:12)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Boundless Strength (Qty:2)
-Play in front of the player who's turn was last.
-Increase that player's hero damage by 1.
-Price: Until the villain's next turn, all other heroes damage is reduced by 1.

Endless Wealth (Qty:2)
-Play in front of the player with the least cards in play.
-That player can play an additional card on their turn.
-Price: All other players skip their next play step.

Absolute Power (Qty:2)
-Play in front of the player who went first.
-That player can activate a second power on their power step.
-Price: All other players skip their next power step.

Youthful Vitality (Qty:2)
-Play this in front of the hero with the lowest HP.
-That hero regains 5HP
-Price: Thrice deals each other hero target (H)-1 Infernal damage.

Limitless Knowledge (Qty:2)
-Play this in front of the player with the least cards in hand.
-That player draws 2 cards
-Price: Each other player discards a card.

Second Chance (Qty:2)
-Play this in front of the player who has the largest trash pile.
-That player puts 2 cards from their trash into their hand.
-Price: Each other player puts the top 2 cards of their decks into their trash.

Relic (Qty:1)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Jewel
HP:35
-Reduce damage to Thrice by 1.
-At the start of the villain turn, put a wish card from the discard pile into the villain deck and then shuffle the villain deck.
-At the end of the villain turn, put a time counter on Magic Jewel.
-When there are 2 counters on Magic Jewel, Magic Jewel deals 3 irreducible radiant damage to Thrice and removes all counters.

One-Shot (Qty:11)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nearly Omnipotent (Qty:4)
-Thrice deals each hero target (H)+1 lightning damage
-Play the top card of the villain deck

Cursed Gifts (Qty:3)
-Activate the price ability of all wish cards in play.
-Put the top wish card from the discard pile into play.

As You Wish (Qty:4)
-Play the top card of the villain deck
-Activate the price ability of the last wish card played.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated. This is the First Villain of the series I am creating. My artist is pretty busy so no art yet. Always looking for a new artist if anyone is interested.

(Edit Notes)
-Removed destroy wishes effect on Magic Jewel
-Added Ongoing keyword to Wishes.
-Increased Thrice's HP
-Increased Magical Jewel's HP
-Reworded flipping ability of Thrice to make more sense.
-Changed Magic Jewels abilities to give it a feel of being helpful to the players if they keep it in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'm not sure I quite understand how this one is supposed to play. For a start, I think it has competing triggers - when there are three wishes in play, the start of turn on "Summoned Genie" makes him flip - but then the start of turn on "Malevolent Djinn" flips him right back.

That aside, there is this magic jewel. We burn that down (25HP), possibly getting wishes which help us attack a rather small target that can't really hurt us in anyway, with the exception of a one shot we have about a 15% of seeing any given turn. Also, random one-shots might also cause the wishes to go bad for us, but still no major threat. Then he flips and we can actually hurt him (50HP), and on this side he is hitting us HARD every turn, plus the wishes are beating up our team with their price. All makes sense, we've always got something to beat on and we experience both the wishes and their prices.

But there is also this time condition. If we DON'T do anything to the gem, we just have to last six turns. And on the unflipped side, he doesn't do any damage. And the wishes don't have their potentially nasty prices, again unless he happens to play a particular one-shot. It just seems like a really easy way to win is just to wait out those six turns. His ONLY sources of damage are Nearly Omnipotent (which admittedly is an incredibly harsh card, Hasten Doom with 2-3 x the damage) and randomly getting prices, but with the exception of Youthful Vitality none of them actually hurt us, just make us discard cards or skip plays and powers, none of which we have any use for anyway, as the only requirement of us is that we don't die.

Is is supposed to be that the heroes lose when we get to six tokens?

Edit: Also, flavour wise seems a bit odd that all the wishes go away when we destroy the crystal. Those wishes don't come with horrible ironic consequences, for some reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage wrote:
I'm not sure I quite understand how this one is supposed to play. For a start, I think it has competing triggers - when there are three wishes in play, the start of turn on "Summoned Genie" makes him flip - but then the start of turn on "Malevolent Djinn" flips him right back.

That aside, there is this magic jewel. We burn that down (25HP), possibly getting wishes which help us attack a rather small target that can't really hurt us in anyway, with the exception of a one shot we have about a 15% of seeing any given turn. Also, random one-shots might also cause the wishes to go bad for us, but still no major threat. Then he flips and we can actually hurt him (50HP), and on this side he is hitting us HARD every turn, plus the wishes are beating up our team with their price. All makes sense, we've always got something to beat on and we experience both the wishes and their prices.

But there is also this time condition. If we DON'T do anything to the gem, we just have to last six turns. And on the unflipped side, he doesn't do any damage. And the wishes don't have their potentially nasty prices, again unless he happens to play a particular one-shot. It just seems like a really easy way to win is just to wait out those six turns. His ONLY sources of damage are Nearly Omnipotent (which admittedly is an incredibly harsh card, Hasten Doom with 2-3 x the damage) and randomly getting prices, but with the exception of Youthful Vitality none of them actually hurt us, just make us discard cards or skip plays and powers, none of which we have any use for anyway, as the only requirement of us is that we don't die.

Is is supposed to be that the heroes lose when we get to six tokens?

Edit: Also, flavour wise seems a bit odd that all the wishes go away when we destroy the crystal. Those wishes don't come with horrible ironic consequences, for some reason?
All very good Points. Will reword some things and make some changes. He is ideally Supposed to become invincible every other turn as he is supposed to be feeling like he is being nice, tempting with more wishes and then become evil and punish everyone the next turn. I know he needs work, but I feel he has a lot of potential. Trying to figure out a way to make the Magic Jewel have a a duo choice feel for the heroes. On one hand, they want to use it somehow against Thrice, on the other hand, destroying it will allow them to kill Thrice easier-ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.