Subject: Finally Played the First Game (after Prologue) [SPOILERS] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Prologue, it was 3 weeks until our group could meet to Play SeaFall again. In the meantime, I finally got over the kvetching I was doing in this previous thread [Spoilers].

To that end, two of us independently came up with a predictive theory that Rob, JR, et al.—
Spoiler (click to reveal)
may bring the lost leaders "back to life" in a future unlocking of a chest, based on one of the story lines. Given that the Captain's Booke entry in 425 (or 426? I forget) notes that the time span between the Prologue and the First Game is 15 years, this may be a long shot. If the previously lost leaders come back to life in some interesting manner, I will rescind all my comments from the previous thread. If not, I still think it will have been unnecessarily gratuitous.
Regardless, if our theory does not hold, I am not going to be disappointed—we're just going to enjoy the game and see how it progresses. We are all very much enjoying the story arc and the choose-your-own-adventure / Tales of the Arabian Nights aspect of the game.

Game one was fantastic. Each of the four of us
gained one of the four milestones.
And not all of our plans turned out in our favor. We did not engage in any raids on one another. None of us seemed to think such a raid would profit us—yet. I'm sure that will change. The winner of the game ended with 12 points. Because he was the Prince for this round, the game ended right after his final turn, which was perfectly timed, because two of us on the next round would have also gained enough glory to end the game. The spread is currently 12–9–9–8, which is relatively tight. Over time, that same increment could grow into a sizable lead if we don't pull the leader back a bit, but for now, we all feel comfortable.

At the beginning of the first game, my leader gained the appellation the Adventurous, which is exciting because in the second game we are finally going to see research occur, among other exciting new rules. I am also looking forward to further exploration of the islands, given that I serendipitously upgraded my fastest ship to sail 4 instead of 3, chose to keep The Renowned Explorer advisor ("Magellan") because of his strong exploration bonus (+2), and upgraded him with another +1 exploration bonus. Unfortunately, because I was the one to fulfill the explore-the-highest-number-on-the-island milestone in the first game, Magellan has seen things he cannot unsee, and it will be much more expensive for me to hire him in future games (+2 gold to rehire). My leader is asserting successive rights of renewal on Magellan's contract indefinitely for now.

What I am enjoying so far is watching each of us formulate different strategies based on tactical considerations of our appellations and/or the availability of advisors in the forum at a given time. I'm sure the game will reward adaptability at the right moments, but this will constantly compete with the tendency of experienced gamers to be as efficient as possible. When will the right time be to engage in a different strategy or tactic to gain a few glory, and will it pan out in future games as effective? Who knows? It's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for playing!!! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Absolutely no comment about your supposition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

JR, as bjmviixii aptly put it, "So, far from sating my appetite for games, these Thursday Seafall sessions are leaving me with a weekend hangover for more gaming."

Once our game of SeaFall ends, I start counting down the days until we get to play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
jayahre wrote:

JR, as bjmviixii aptly put it, "So, far from sating my appetite for games, these Thursday Seafall sessions are leaving me with a weekend hangover for more gaming."

Once our game of SeaFall ends, I start counting down the days until we get to play it again!

And the answer is ... five! Well, for me. Dunno about you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.