27.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Some House Rules I've been thinking of. Thoughts would be appreciated. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott sunerom
msg tools
I've been thinking of a few problems that could be solved by some custom rules and i wanted opinions on them.

Rule 1: officially, when a crew dies you get to choose who it is. Even your captain who will simply receive a disgruntled token. Some ppl i play with have an issue with that (truthfully i do too) because it can be pretty easy to just always choose your captain, take shore leave at the first opportunity and therefore turn a lot of the game's consequences into mere inconveniences. Furthermore, since almost no cards ever kill more than two crew at once, a pretty fool proof insurance policy is to just bring a couple meat shields you don't care about to be the bodies if things get hairy. Ive won the game several times by taking a risky job going to Miranda and then just tossing my B-list supporting characters into the waiting teeth of the reavers on the way in and out. Less crew to pay, and it doesn't even count as immoral! Plus, it's not really realistic. You don't CHOOSE who dies in a firefight, it's just the (bad)luck of the draw.

my solution: when something kills your crew, you roll a die. starting with your captain as 1 and proceeding logically to the right of him or her, whatever number you roll is the person who dies (or gets disgruntled in the event that you roll a 1 for your captain) if you have less than six crew and you get a number higher than there are people, you reroll until someone dies. do this again if two people are killed, etc. If you have more than 6 crew, thrillin heroics apply.

It's not perfect. for instance if you have more than 6 people, the people in the 7, 8, or 9 slots would be way safer than the rest of your crew statistically since you have to essentially roll TWICE to land on them. But i think this would make it way riskier to take on dangerous jobs when you have someone you don't want to risk losing and you know that they aren't essentially immortal because you don't choose who dies. Plus it makes things like medics and body armor way more useful. as of now pretty much no one in my group bothers with medics because it's simply more efficient to bring along some nameless henchmen to sacrifice then devote an entire crew slot to someone whose only real function is to give you a slight chance of saving someone when lets be honest if you have kaylee she's never going die unless your whole crew is wiped out at once. This fixes that problem, imo (obviously if you have a character like Tracey who has a specific rule about dying first, then he would supercede a dice roll)

Rule 2: I love piracy and bounty hunting. and my group tends to do it a lot. not only is it one of the only ways you can slow someone down when they have the lead, but we also tend to hold a grudge something fierce. But one thing that has always seemed like a wasted opportunity is that no matter what skill you use to win a showdown, the outcome is the same. I understand the design and balance necessity of being able to use any of the three skills to showdown. But if someone boards my ship looking to shoot me, and I talk them down (or bluff them or whatever would be represented by beating them with negotiation) why would one or two of them end up dead? which is usually the consequence of a failed showdown attack.Not only does it not make sense thematically, but it turns the choice of which skill to use to defend or attack with into a kind of mindless "which skill is my highest?"

My solution: different consequences for each skill. Not for defending. the consequence of that is always either getting your crew captured or losing your goods. But when a piracy job says "FAIL: kill 1 of attackers crew" for example, THAT should be different depending on what the DEFENDER uses. for example:

Fighting would stay the same.

Tech would replace killed crew with discarding one Gear or ship upgrade (not drive cores) Two crew would equal two gear or ship upgrades. I'm envisioning using the same dice rolling method of selecting them as used for killed crew that i described above, except you would start with 1 being your first ship upgrade, 2 your next one and so on, and then the numbers would pick up with your captains first piece of gear etc. etc. Thematically, this would represent repelling your boarders by outmaneuvering them technologically. sabotaging their ship as it's docked with yours, or somehow causing their equipment to malfunction and force them to retreat. This would also be a way to lose Gear. Which as far as i know there isn't currently. which always seemed strange to me.

Negotiate would result in your crew being disgruntled, at the rate of twice as many as would be killed. for example, if the card says, "FAIL: kill one of attackers crew" and the defender talks his way out of it, then disgruntle TWO of the attackers crew. if two were to be killed, then disgruntle four crew. I would select them randomly, just like with gear to be lost. Thematically, this would represent the defending crew talking the attackers down, or bluffing them, leaving them demoralized. at first glance, it doesn't seem as if this is as bad a consequence as killing crew or discarding gear. But remember that usually a pirate will fly to their target and THEN attack, ending their turn. so if you disgruntle their crew, you could then hire them away using a better offer, making negotiation potentially more damaging. This even happened in the show (out of gas) when Jayne's former crew got the jump on Mal and Zoe and had them at gunpoint. You could say they were having a showdown using their fight skill, and Mal beat them with negotiation. And of course he turned Jayne over to his side.

I like this because it not only makes showdowns seem more realistic and interesting, but it adds another layer of strategy to not only picking which skill you will use (do I pick fight because it's slightly higher, or negotiate because I want a chance to steal zoe from them?) But also which players you will target (John's got a lot of contraband I'd like to have, but his tech skill is his highest and do i really want to risk losing my Mag grapplers?)

And even that works thematically. If you already had a crew who was unhappy with you, would you deliberately want to put them on a ship that's known to be really shrewd double talkers? You would be right to fear that they would get a better offer or be convinced to turn on you or simply leave you.

Rule 3: The Reavers movement. I play with all expansions (Minus the lone ship expansions) but even with three reaver cutters, they aren't really much of a threat. what inevitably happens is that ONE cutter will be pulled out, usually one sector at a time. and since that one is closer to everyone, the other two are left in reaver space. the board is so big that it's very easy to avoid them (unless of course you get a reaver contact event) So my group says that when you get a card which moves the reavers one sector, you roll a die. and whatever number comes up, THAT is how many sectors the reavers move (No thrillin heroic bonus rolls though) It means there is very rarely an area of space where there isn't at least SOME chance you could get hunted down by them. Which is the vibe I always got from the show.

Whew, this came out way longer than I first intended. But I appreciate it if anyone takes the time to read. let me know if you think any of this would be unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very interesting ideas in this post! I particularly like the different outcomes based on what skill you use for a showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm diggin' some of the piracy/showdown ideas too. Though adding random death selection to increased reaver movement is too crazy to me. With that, I wouldn't dare enter border or rim space without a pilot/mechanic combo. When one or more crew members become absolute necessities, then something's not right. And I'd feel the need to keep half of my hold filled with fuel.

The reavers are rarely left in the corner of the board during our games. I at least make sure of that. I wouldn't mind trying out the random death selection mechanic, but something tells me that Firefly will become less fun that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Overall I think you have some great ideas here. I have a few suggestions how they can be tweaked into something more mainstream.

Rule 1 may be doing too much. A simple house rule to not allow players to disgruntle the captain unless they have no other crew would still accomplish much of your goal. It can be time consuming if you have to replace too many crew all the time, and it's no fun and disheartening to loose your favorite character. When house rules are too extreme it tends to drag out the game, and is already the chief complaint I hear during any of my Firefly sessions.

Rule 2 seems a bit unfounded. Thematically I can think of a bunch of ways a negotiator or mechanic could kill someone. For example, you may be able to convince one of their crew that there's something valuable in one of the airlocks, and once they fall for it you'd just operate the controls to seal them in and open the opposite hatch to vent them out into space. Another example is convincing them that they just got infected by a lethal virus, and they need to quickly inject themselves with an antidote from the infirmiry. When they do this it turned out to be the wrong dosage.

Rule 3 seems overly harsh and discourages players from exploring the game board expansions. I like your idea, but it may be better to approach it conservatively by allowing the player on the right to move the reaver two spaces instead of rolling dice as you are doing now. Gameplay would be a little faster this way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that when we get to move the reaver cutter we roll a D3, and use that result instead (of just 1 sector)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have a Pilot, Mechanic and Fuel, the Reavers aren't a much of threat either way. Increasing their range doesn't change this. My group is using a house rule that also requires 2 Parts to perform a Crazy Ivan. As long as you have all of these requirements, great; otherwise the Reavers get a meal... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One house rule we've played with sometimes for the Reavers is that they may not double back onto a sector with an Alert unless there are no other options. This forces them outward, but also reduces the change of an encounter from a token, since they're almost never more than 1.

On "controlled death" vs random death: I can certainly undersand how some folks would prefer to have more random death and more ramifications for death, but I'm not a fan, primarily for the impact it has on the timing of the game. When Crew are Killed, even if you Disgruntled your Leader, there ARE ramifications. These ramifications may be relatively minor, but they are there nonetheless. More extreme ramifications may be more realistic, but the primary effect is to a) lengthen and b) randomize the game. The game is already long enough, and there are already enough random factors for my taste, so allowing players to strategically chose which resources they lose is a good game design move to me.

On different effects for different skills: I'm not especially opposed to the idea that Tech can Kill Crew. There are a fair amount of Tech rolls in the game that can lead to death. I assume there's an explosion, or someone falls out an airlock, or a door slams at the wrong time, etc. With respect to Talk, this is a bit of an outlier, since Talk virtually never leads to death (I think there may be a single roll outside of Showdowns). On one hand, the idea of Disguntled is an elegant solution. On the other... again, we're talking about something that potentially unbalances and prolongs the game, leaving me with very mixed feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
Thanks so much for all the feedback! didn't expect so much so soon

I guess these definitely aren't for everyone. And i can see the points about how they may lengthen the game. Like I said, my group is all pretty experienced, so these are more to stop people from exploiting some natural loopholes that seem to be in the design of the game.

I haven't playtested the first two rules yet (I just thought of them yesterday) But the rule about the reavers moving according to a dice roll has seemed to work out pretty well for our group. But again, that's just to our taste.

I guess the primary reason I love the game is because it feels so much like playing through the show. and choosing who dies in a firefight based on who you like the least never felt like the show. ESPECIALLY not a joss whedon show, since he will often kill your favorite character when you least suspect it, to great effect. for example, in safe, when the crew is dropping off the cattle. you could say they picked up a misbehave card that says they got ambushed by the local law. resulting in one crew death (who was later saved by some means) Mal would likely not have CHOSEN book to be the one shot. but that's just how it happened. or when Kaylee got shot in the pilot etc. There are plenty of examples that in the universe of firefly, it's the dangerous wild west and anyone is at risk at any time. I'd really like that feeling in the game more, But again that's personal taste.

And I don't personally think the different outcomes for showdowns would lengthen the game, just change the consequences. But again I haven't playtested it yet so I can't say for certain.

I do agree that using tech or negotiation against enemy boarders COULD result in their death, but to have it happen every time without fail just feels false to me. plus like I said that means that there is essentially no strategy to which skill you choose to use. Just whatever you have the most of. I also think that it could fill a couple holes in the game: the ability to lose or make another player lose gear (right now it seems that once you've bought gear it is basically yours forever) and the ability to disgruntle another players crew. which yes is possible through the hand cannon, but that's unbalanced since it's the only weapon which can do it, it does it to the leader, and it does it before EVERY showdown. I feel disgruntling an opponents crew is a good thing to add to the game, but this would be a more balanced way of doing it.

Edit: Btw I hope it doesn't seem as if I'm dismissing anyone's suggestions. all have made very good points, and thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem like you're dismissing anyone - and I hope you don't feel like any of us are knocking your stuff!

On game length: It's worth noting that the game designers have drawn a pretty careful firewall in which resources you can lose vs which ones you can't (or can't easily). Any time you have to rebuilt, it shows the game, so there are pretty strong limits on that. Just my personal observation.

On the Joss Whedon approach: That's a very interesting observation. Although Joss DOES often chose surprising kills, he also carefully selects kills that will build story momentum rather than stall it. Looking at just SERENITY, for example, all three of the major deaths move the story forward or occur after the character's death can do no harm. Book's death gives Mal motivation. Universe's death gives Mal information. Wash's death "does no harm" because the ship is definitively grounded.

It all depends on your tolerance for the game becoming longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
gwek wrote:
Doesn't seem like you're dismissing anyone - and I hope you don't feel like any of us are knocking your stuff!

On game length: It's worth noting that the game designers have drawn a pretty careful firewall in which resources you can lose vs which ones you can't (or can't easily). Any time you have to rebuilt, it shows the game, so there are pretty strong limits on that. Just my personal observation.

Thanks for saying so!

You make a good point about the fact that the game designers absolutely playtested the game many many times to arrive at the rules they did. And i agree that needing to rebuild slows you down and lengthens the game. I can see how this may be a problem with randomized deaths (though I'm still going to try it out) but even the game's official rules require you to rebuild after you fail a piracy job. You potentially have to hire more crew to replace the ones who died. why would it take any longer or slow the game down any more if you had to buy more gear? or take shore leave to nurse your wounds and undisgruntle your crew? they're all a buy action at a supply planet. IMO it doesn't slow the game down anymore than it already is in the official rules, it just adds a little more flavor to the ramifications of your crews' encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
Sorry, I forgot to respond to this:

gwek wrote:
On the Joss Whedon approach: That's a very interesting observation. Although Joss DOES often chose surprising kills, he also carefully selects kills that will build story momentum rather than stall it. Looking at just SERENITY, for example, all three of the major deaths move the story forward or occur after the character's death can do no harm. Book's death gives Mal motivation. Universe's death gives Mal information. Wash's death "does no harm" because the ship is definitively grounded.

Very interesting take on it. I've never thought of it that way before.

However, at first glance I partially disagree. While yes the story benefits from the characters deaths, I feel that is a byproduct of good story telling on the part of Joss. If you look at it from the characters perspectives (which you are if you're playing through the game) those character deaths represent failures or unforeseen obstacles that forces them to change their strategy.

Their strategy was to seek safe haven with Book. Unluckily (from their perspective) he was killed, so they had to change things up. same with Mr universe and (to a lesser extent) Wash. These are not events that they would choose or benefitted them. yes, they are portrayed as moments that the good guys triumph over, but again I think that is just good story telling. and If you were to transport those moments into the game i think they'd be represented by thrilling heroics rolls or total shifts of strategy. Whereas if Mal actually could choose who got killed/injured he would most likely choose himself (in character) or someone who was totally irrelevant to their goal, such as inara (purely strategically)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like these. They're basically pretty simple, but add a little depth. Yeah, they might add some time, but in for a penny, in for a pound, right? In a 3 hour game, does it really matter if spent 5 seconds (to roll a die) a dozen times?

A couple of other thoughts that might tighten things up a little more.

Instead of rolling a D6, use a D10. And forget the re-rolls. If you roll a number that doesn't correspond to a crew, then you get to choose. Quick and easy.

Same thing for the different Showdown results.

On the Reavers. Limiting it to 2 or D3 as mentioned are good, as is nto doubling back on Alerts. Or, you could roll a die if you want to double back on an Alert. On a 4+ you can. On a 1-3, you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
I like those tweaks. You're absolutely right, I want to add some depth but keep it as simple as possible.

the D10 idea is great! not only does it do away with the mess of trying to apply a D6 to an always changing number of crew, but It kind of has a "reward" for rolling high (you get to choose the person you would have killed anyway) AND it naturally balances things out for smaller crews: if you've only got 3 or 4 people chances are most of them are pretty important to your strategy, and you're more likely to not be winning, so you'd welcome the chance to pick who dies and you're also more likely to get that chance. Whereas a giant crew is more susceptible to have unexpected deaths take them down a notch.

as you've mentioned, a lot of people have said to use D3 for Reaver movement. after thinking about it I'd agree. a maximum movement of 3 is probably just enough to be threatening a lot of the time, but you don't have the risk of a reaver coming all the way across the board just because you got 2 reaver movement cards in one fly action.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 1:
The d10 (or even a d12) sounds like the way to handle the random death mechanic. I'd certainly be willing to try that. After all, it's quite reasonable that someone would choose to take a bullet for someone else. It's perhaps even more likely in the case of a moral captain or moral crew.

Rule 2:
I still like most of your suggestions for varying the consequences of failed piracy. I'm just not sure about losing gear. I personally appreciate that there's at least one thing in the game I don't have to worry about losing. "Permanent" gear may simply be a mechanical design choice rather than a thematic one. But I think there are two factors that effectively mitigate your gear's untouchable status in Firefly:
1. It generally costs more up front than crew...often a LOT more.
2. You must have crew to use gear. Furthermore, that usually means crew on the job.

Rule 3:
More reaver movement means more "road-blocking," and inevitably longer games. Experienced players recognize that this is usually a more effective use of the reavers than parking them in your current sector anyway. Even a d3 would likely bring the reavers to an unpleasant (unfun) level of activity...for us. Like I said earlier, the reavers are almost always about the board in our games as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
On rule 2, what you could do is that for Tech and Talk Showdowns, if the roll doesn't correspond to a piece of Gear/Crew, you could default to killing a Crew (player choice).

Also, should it be your choice or your Rival's choice that determines the consequences? If you chose Fight, but your Rival chose Negotiate, you're more likely to get Disgruntled than killed.

On Rule 3, if 3 Sectors is to many, how about in order to move them to a Sector with an Alert token, you roll a D6. If you roll over the number of tokens, you can. Equal or under, you can't. In an extreme, one-in-a-million situation, it would get stuck in that space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
dbolyard wrote:

1. It generally costs more up front than crew...often a LOT more.

Honestly i was wondering about that aspect of it, too. I'm not sure if it's completely balanced. I definitely need to playtest the idea a few times. One thing to consider though is that gear is usually more expensive because you only pay for it once. Crew look cheaper, but you also pay them for every job, so they aren't really as "cheap" as their face value appears. which is more of a loss? Losing the best gear you could have - maybe something like burgess laser, or losing one of your best crew members like kaylee or zoe? I'm not really sure. But personally id rather lose any piece of gear than lose one of the more powerful crew.

i could try it where killing one crew equals a certain dollar amount of gear that you're eligible to lose, and killing two crew is double that. But that seems to start getting more complicated than i want. Also, i think it is a little more interesting if the consequences for the three skills aren't always completely equal. Maybe there should be situations where you're scared because you have way more to lose. Like pirating a crew of mechanics and hackers when you've got really important gear that you rely on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
Scarbuck wrote:
Also, should it be your choice or your Rival's choice that determines the consequences? If you chose Fight, but your Rival chose Negotiate, you're more likely to get Disgruntled than killed

Do you mean if you lost to someone's negotiate skill, and rolled a number high enough where it was a choice of who to disgruntle/kill? i would say that it would still be your choice if i was playing. After all, if you lost any other test and had to roll like this, it would be your choice. I think the same should apply.

An issue i can foresee though: is the same person allowed to be disgruntled twice? Like for instance after a dice roll, if you land on the same person twice, do they leave your ship, or do you discount them from the roll after it lands on them once? I'm torn, at first i was thinking the latter because i thought it would be unbalanced to disgruntle someone twice in one go,but the more i think about it maybe you should be able to convince someone to leave in one turn. Afterall isn't that analagous to killing them anyway? And there are some situations as the attacker where i think you'd actually prefer it. Rather than have ppl risk being hired by your enemy the next turn, I'd rather just have them go back to their supply planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duffy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I lime the idea of crew deathbeing random but I might still allow the Leaderto take a ddisgruntled to save his/her crew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryllick wrote:
One thing to consider though is that gear is usually more expensive because you only pay for it once. Crew look cheaper, but you also pay them for every job, so they aren't really as "cheap" as their face value appears. which is more of a loss? Losing the best gear you could have - maybe something like burgess laser, or losing one of your best crew members like kaylee or zoe? I'm not really sure. But personally id rather lose any piece of gear than lose one of the more powerful crew.

This is where we differ. If forced to choose, I'd nearly always ditch Kalee before I'd hand over Kalee's Reprogammer, or even my transport gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
Fair enough. What's your reasoning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ryllick wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:
Also, should it be your choice or your Rival's choice that determines the consequences? If you chose Fight, but your Rival chose Negotiate, you're more likely to get Disgruntled than killed

Do you mean if you lost to someone's negotiate skill, and rolled a number high enough where it was a choice of who to disgruntle/kill? i would say that it would still be your choice if i was playing. After all, if you lost any other test and had to roll like this, it would be your choice. I think the same should apply.

An issue i can foresee though: is the same person allowed to be disgruntled twice? Like for instance after a dice roll, if you land on the same person twice, do they leave your ship, or do you discount them from the roll after it lands on them once? I'm torn, at first i was thinking the latter because i thought it would be unbalanced to disgruntle someone twice in one go,but the more i think about it maybe you should be able to convince someone to leave in one turn. Afterall isn't that analagous to killing them anyway? And there are some situations as the attacker where i think you'd actually prefer it. Rather than have ppl risk being hired by your enemy the next turn, I'd rather just have them go back to their supply planet

What I meant was that if you and I rumble, I chose Fight and you chose Negotiate. If I win, one of your guys dies. If you win, one of mine is Disgruntled.

You couldn't Disgruntle the same Crew twice in the same way you can't kill the same Crew twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
Scarbuck wrote:

What I meant was that if you and I rumble, I chose Fight and you chose Negotiate. If I win, one of your guys dies. If you win, one of mine is Disgruntled.

You couldn't Disgruntle the same Crew twice in the same way you can't kill the same Crew twice.

Ok, but i can't really think of a situation where crew on each side is at risk of being killed. You can only showdown due to piracy or bounty hunting, and in each case only the attacker loses crew as a penalty for failure. If you fail at defending your ship, the penalty is losing goods or getting someone captured.

And the more i think of it, the more i like the idea of being able to disgruntle someone twice. It even makes sense, if someone leaves your ship when they get two tokens, that means that two tokens basically is roughly equal to dying. So it should work the other way too, right? i mean, the only reason you can't kill someone twice is because they're already dead. It wouldn't do anything. But being able to add another disgruntled token to someone is an interesting strategy i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryllick wrote:
Fair enough. What's your reasoning?

Assuming both can be lost in the specific case of Kalee and Kalee's Reprogrammer, the main factor for me is replacement cost.
Mechanic + 3 tech is going to be cheaper to get a hold of than Hacking Rig + 2 tech. Not only that, but Mechanic is slightly more abundant than Hacking Rig, not to mention that at least one of Mechanic's uses is also available through ship upgrades. You've either got a Hacking Rig or you don't.

Secondary factors include:
-The Reprogrammer can be given to even the weakest crew to bolster their skills.
-The Reprogrammer is not subject to moral and all that entails
-The Reprogrammer is not subject to disgruntled and all that entails
-Reavers don't eat gear whistle

It would still be a tough choice, but I'll flip it around and say that if given the choice between picking up only one or the other, I'd probably take the Reprogrammer over Kalee most times. But really, circumstances will always dictate in the end. The choice won't always be the same.
This↑ is all just hypothetical hullabaloo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ryllick wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

Ok, but i can't really think of a situation where crew on each side is at risk of being killed. You can only showdown due to piracy or bounty hunting, and in each case only the attacker loses crew as a penalty for failure. If you fail at defending your ship, the penalty is losing goods or getting someone captured.

And the more i think of it, the more i like the idea of being able to disgruntle someone twice. It even makes sense, if someone leaves your ship when they get two tokens, that means that two tokens basically is roughly equal to dying. So it should work the other way too, right? i mean, the only reason you can't kill someone twice is because they're already dead. It wouldn't do anything. But being able to add another disgruntled token to someone is an interesting strategy i think.

Fair enough. Poorly worded. Rephrase my example to me as the Attacker. I lose the Showdown. In one version (based on my Skill choice), one of my guys dies. In the other version (based on your choice), one of my guys is Disgruntled.

In the stock version, it's irrelevant as there's only the one result - death. If we're looking at different possible results, with each player involved being able to choose a different Skill, it matters whose choice the result will be based on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott sunerom
msg tools
dbolyard wrote:

It would still be a tough choice, but I'll flip it around and say that if given the choice between picking up only one or the other, I'd probably take the Reprogrammer over Kalee most times.

Hmm, very good points. i can see where you're coming from. Really the only thing that makes me think the opposite is Kaylee's special ability. Being able to re-roll any mechanic test is THE most valuable ability in the game, imo (equally as much as zoe and inara ofcourse) and the reason I would never, under almost any circumstances, let her or zoe or inara be killed if it was at all under my control.

Good point that Gear isn't moral either haha.

a few other things you mentioned, like the fact that Gear can't be eaten by reavers etc. i feel highlight why I think there should be SOME mechanic in the game that risks losing gear. I mean, even ship upgrades can be taken from you by scrappers or Badgers boys. it seems like a strange outlier that you can amass this arsenal of indestructible tools that there is never any risk of losing. Even if someone using it dies in the middle of an ambush! haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.