Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was curious. I really super duper badly want this game no question but I'm confused. If Call of Cthulhu failed why are they making another Mythos LCG? If their first game failed why try again? I asked this on their official forums but no one really posts in the forum I put it in so I was hoping BGG would have a better oppinion then "Shrugs"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Dead people don't collect royalties.

People love Eldritch theme. For better or for worse at least it's not another Star Wars or Runebound property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
I was curious. I really super duper badly want this game no question but I'm confused. If Call of Cthulhu failed why are they making another Mythos LCG? If their first game failed why try again? I asked this on their official forums but no one really posts in the forum I put it in so I was hoping BGG would have a better oppinion then "Shrugs"

Who said Call of Cthulhu failed? I think it had just been going on for a really long time and they decided to wind it down. It had been going since 2004 (2008 when they changed it from CCG to LCG). Call of Cthulhu was also a competitive game. I imagine they just wanted to try something new and saw how co-op games are doing well, so decided to try something in that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh but it was successful? I suppose then trying co-op be a good idea. I just figured it wasn't doing well and they threw it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Homer Simpson wrote:
You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu had 10 deluxe expansion and supporting packs. I would say that's pretty successful. But as it was mention, the game just ran it's course.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/call-of-cthul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As to why FFG stopped development of The Call of Cthulhu, have you read their announcement? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/22/let-it-...

The main points I took away was that it had a small but devoted fan base for whom FFG had created many cycles and deluxe expansions, which will be kept in print through print on demand.

LCGs take a lot of effort and expense to produce. They have a constant release schedule and every set must be designed, developed, tested, edited, and produced. And with LCGs the larger the number of cards released requires more consideration for the next release to insure they work well together and stay balanced. Not an easy job.

As an LCG ages, it becomes costly to support, especially if the fan base is small. And almost all games with expansions sell fewer and fewer expansions as more and more are released.

So it makes sense to retire a system at some point. FFG also ended Warhammer Invasion previously.

As to why Arkham Horror, it is an open IP and a very popular one, and it gives fans of CoC a new game to shift to, if they want.

Cooperative games are popular now, and the market open since most CCGs are competitive. Campaign card games with ongoing developmental affects are also popular and rare.

Arkham Horror the Card Game makes great marketing sense at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see thanks I was curious as to why they'd in a sense switch things up but still have Lovecraft card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, co-op LCG are hot and the Cthulhu mythos has the advantage of being both an established brand and being free of licensing issues (cough, GW, cough, cough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would aks another question. Why Arkham? What about Mountains of Madness and all other locations outside of Arkham city!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
I would aks another question. Why Arkham? What about Mountains of Madness and all other locations outside of Arkham city!?

The first promo quest is set in New Orleans and the first expansion cycle probably will head to Dunwich eventually. I expect the game will continue to expand its location horizons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that since the first campaign seems to be emulating/drawing from The Dunwich Horror, there will be one based around At the Mountains of Madness and others based around as many more of Lovecraft's stories as FFG's creative team can manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mythos themed games that are able to be played co-op or solo (Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Elder Dice) have been very successful for FFG.

The Mythos themed games that were not able to be played co-op or solo (Mansions of Madness, COC CCG/LCG) have not been as successful.

The LCG model has been very successful for FFG, for games that have caught on with the public (AGOT, Netrunner for sure.) FFG has found ways in the past few months to rerelease their unsuccessful Mythos games in a solo-coop format. Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is now a solo-cooperative game, and has received quite a bit of acclaim, bugs in app aside.

Releasing a rethemed LOTR 2.0, with mechanics to simplify gameplay and eliminate the constant deckbuilding, seems brilliant. As someone forced to pass on the COC LCG due to a lack of players in the area, and as someone who passed on the LOTR LCG due to complexity and constant deckbuilding, I am very excited about this release and will be all in. Can't wait to throw some money at FFG at Arkham Nights this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

FFG uses the title "Arkham Files" to group all their Lovecraftian/Horror games, so it makes sense to use Arkham in the title not necessarily to defined the location but to identify the mythos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I don't really care about Call of Cthulhu but I am very excited about Arkham Horror the Card Game. May be similar markets but there are those that definitely prefer coops/adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know, my Lovecraftian knowledge is limited and I feared they might take the narrow approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:

As has been mentioned, already, CoC was hardly a failure. It ran for a very long time.

However, this game has nothing to do with CoC, except for the theme.

This is closer to their most successful LCG (Lord of the Rings).

Also, their Mythos-flavored cooperative games are going really well (Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign, etc.).

It is a game where the theme works really well.

The choice is not odd at all.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.