Hide
4 Posts

Field Commander: Alexander» Forums » Rules

Subject: What am I doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anony Mous
msg tools
I just finished the first campaign (Granicus), and it was a total landslide in my favor. So much so that I think I must have misinterpreted the rules somewhere... or maybe in several places.

Here are some assumptions I made which might have been wrong:
1) I'm interpreting the rules to mean that I can move through several (unoccupied) areas by repeating the conquest step, as long as I reroll for scouting and pay the penalty for each movement.
2) If I take out Halicarnassus before the enemy operations counter shows "go", forces drawn by enemy operations chits never actually enter play.
3) I can "stall" at the end of a campaign and use remaining turns to buy advisers, forces, and complete prophecies, even if all enemies are defeated, as long as turns remain on the track. This sacrifices victory points but buffs my company for the next campaign.

I played aggressively, and probably had a few lucky rolls. I started with the "glory" adviser. Chaeronea fell easily with King Philip's help, and I fought Granicus in the same "turn" by repeating the conquest step to keep the enemy operations phase from happening, though I think I was flat broke when I arrived. After Granicus, Sardis, Harcarnassus, and Lycia had only one or two forces each, plus a wall, and were easy conquests. I ended the campaign with 60+ gold, 2 advisers and 6 glory. Using the "stalling" trick above, I can buy the entire Macedonian army, another adviser, and one or two glorifications. But even without "stalling", it seemed an unfair fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P O
Spain
flag msg tools
1) I am pretty sure you played it correctly, but not sure what you mean by "reroll". Each turn is composed of multiple conquest steps. In each of those conquest steps, you have to roll for scouting, and pay the cost to enter the new space. The turn ends at the point where you cannot pay the cost but you never reroll. Maybe one possible error is to go to the resupply phase after every conquest step and not after finishing all conquest steps.

2) Yes

3) The campaign ends when you meet the victory conditions on the map. I can't tell if what you did is against the rules or not (don't have the game at hand right now). But I wouldn't play it this way, in the context of the grand campaign it feels off.

As for the general sense that the first campaign is "easy" you are probably right. Just a few lucky/unlucky rolls have a great impact on the overall result for the campaign, particularly scouting rolls can stop you very quickly. Yesterday i had a game where Alexander was sorely defeated at Granicus on turn 2, so it is not always this way. Never happened before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerrak wrote:
Alexander was sorely defeated at Granicus on turn 2,

This happened in the first game I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anony Mous
msg tools
So, just to close the loop, the FAQ in the files sections specifically addresses item 3 and upholds my guess--sort of. It is legal to complete your turn and "stock up" for upcoming campaigns. I assume it's illegal to take addition turns, however.

At any rate, when I ended up playing this way I quickly realized that a large army isn't the huge advantage I thought it was. They're crazy expensive to move, for example, which I had forgotten. So I ended up disbanding a good chuck of them early in the second campaign. What a neat balance! Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.