9 Posts

Twin Peaks» Forums » Rules

Subject: Artillery disordered/collapsed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Would like some game veteran's Eyes on how I performed the first artillery battle to see if I've made any grave mistakes. I do wonder about what happens to an artillery unit already in disorder and that fails its second UDD. Example:

It is Ewell's AM. He has got artillery in his division.

LA Guard_a, in hex 2938, fires at a pair of stacked Union artillery in 3134. Cornfield area do not affect line of sight at this distand although both forces are on the same level. LA Guard_a has a strength of 2 and fires with TB weapons, zero DRM. Die roll gives a result of 9 i.e. a d+2. The top Union artillery, F4US II/VA, failes its UDD, the bottom unit makes it. Since the attack distance was greater than 3 hexes the attack effects are individual, so even though the top unit fails the bottom one is not affected by that. F4US II/VA is flipped and looses all ability to attack (I suppose the people abandon the weapons).

RETURN FIRE. The flipped artillery unit cannot shoot back but the bottom one still can. Normally it is only the top unit firing but artillery can actually combine. It is the 4ME II/VA. Fires with TB weapon. Since it is shooting out from the cornfield line it has a line of sight, would it have been in 3133 it could not have fired back. Die rolls at a 10, so gibe its strength of 6 the CFS artillery is flipped to its disordered side.

Now the CFS artillery LA Guard_b firing at the same hex target from 2838. Modified die roll result d-2. Top unit, already disordered, fails its UDD. Normally it would be collapsed and lose half of its SP, but now being already disordered it has no SP. Bottom unit makes its UDD.

Thank you for any comments
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Series Rule: 12.36 Additional Disorder to Artillery States, "If a Disordered artillery unit suffers an additional Disorder from Fire, it loses 1 SP [10.72] and it does not retreat." Series Rule: 10.72 States that Artillery losses are taken at a conversion rate of 1 SP per Gun point. It further indicates in a design note that the crew has indeed fled the gun battery when an artillery UDD is failed. The reality is they usually saught cover, laid down or fled if the enemy shelling became too intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thank you Joey. Not being close to the rules now but I see now that I also need to study retreat again.
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Joey, I've got some additional questions, reading the rule references you gave.

10.72 refer to small-arm/grape shot. In my case the distance to the target hex exceeded 3 hexes so I assumed that that type of ammo was not used. Consequently I wonder if the 10.72 rule is applicable?

Maybe I'm overreading the rules, but then also the bullet Point in 12.36 also would not be applicable?

In any case, I do think that your solution is the most reasonable one.

If an artillery has 1SP from start, and becomes disordered *2, using this interpretation, the unit would actually get worthless even if it recovers from the disordered state. Right?

Kr / Mark (editing as if my Life depended on it )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rule 10.72 is referenced not solely for its small arms and Grapeshot information but also for its loss conversion rate (the loss conversion rate being the principle reason for the reference).

Put simply, a second "d" on an artillery unit converts to a step loss. Any time an artillery unit is already in a disordered status, a second disorder results in the loss of one strength point to that artillery unit. Note also that if an artillery unit cannot rally and it takes a third disorder it loses yet another step and in fact until it rally's, every disorder result will result in a step loss.

If (as in your example) an artillery unit has only 1SP and it is disordered it is only disordered, and until rallied it cannot fire. Once it is rallied however it is at full capacity (1SP) and can fire away. However, that same 1SP Artillery if it is disordered and takes a second disorder result it is Eliminated and placed in the Eliminated Box never to return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thank you Joey for you great advice, I understand now.
kr /Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a few comments on this discussion:

-- Artillery doesn't collapse. Infantry & cavalry can collapse (first sentence of 12.23)

-- Collapse does not mean you lose half your SP; it occurs after a non-artillery unit loses more than half its SP

-- The Design Note following 10.72 says nothing about the crew fleeing the battery. It instead talks about "crew loss" and "the gun being abandoned". In other words, the Design Note explains why SP losses are treated as gun loss. In the older version of the series a battery could suffer gun losses from artillery fire or capture, and crew losses from small arms fire. The new version abstracted the crews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools

Thought I would try to share with you the status as of now, after artillery fire and William's advance.

Thanks for your input.
Kr Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theduckhound wrote:

Thought I would try to share with you the status as of now, after artillery fire and William's advance.

Thanks for your input.
Kr Mark

Nice flank coverage with that Union Cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.