24 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: What movie to watch whilst playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam D
msg tools
mb
As the title asks, what movies/tv series do you suggest to watch in the background whilst having your survivors eaten by various monsters?

I normally play solo and don't like quite rooms, so I will have the tv on. However I want something atmospheric, rather than a cooking program.

Thanks for any help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien franchise. Dark mood lighting, unseen monsters picking people off and then jumping out and eating people.

the thing people dis appearing, paranoia on who is the real person

walking dead, the unrelenting danger, the world out to get you, just trying to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
None. Have some respect for each others' time and pay attention to the dang game. Do you surf the web on your phone while you play games too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KDM very much reminds me of Dark Souls games,I'm still waiting for Kickstarter 2 I get my core game. However, I have quite a few expansions now and while I work on putting the minis together, I usually listen to SLAYER.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ngoc Hai Pham
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Magic Pink wrote:
None. Have some respect for each others' time and pay attention to the dang game. Do you surf the web on your phone while you play games too?

I second that.
I'm surprised to see this kind of question here, I can understand people like background music while doing various things, but watching movie while playing this game? really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

The OP says he normally plays solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Koch
Germany
flag msg tools
Try music instead of movies. It won't distract you and can be quite intense at the same time. I like the Dark Souls 3 soundtrack (can be found on youtube).

Edit:

Maybe you could get a lantern and some candles for passive lightning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitch Black
The Descent
Lost Highway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
I play mostly solo too, I can't imagine watchin a movie while playing, OP it's really a good multitaske!

I found out i play better with no music or classical musical ,helps me think better and don't forget any trait mood or buff that the monster or the survivors have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend some really atmospheric music. The Japanese band MONO is probably my favorite for this type of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbnhjsDI_ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdKXcR_Uns

etc.

Magic Pink wrote:

Read -> Comprehend -> Post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd go the anime route with Inuyasha or Berserk. Love the music in both of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mb
Just to reiterate I am playing by myself, so the movie won't distract me from my phantom friends.

Also I don't multitask that well (marking vs YouTube results in no books being marked). I just don't like sitting in a silent room.

I do like the idea of happy feet as a background movie. I was thinking about the lego movie, just so the "everything is awesome" song could come on, just as some poor survivor loses their junk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Mad Max: Fury Road is a nice choice.

Or, go one better than a movie and put on a tv series.

I watched Downton Abbey playing the game a few months back. The low-key dialogue was a nice background noise that very rarely interjected itself into my play.

Whatever you choose, I wouldn't go with something action-y. Action movies tend to force themselves into your thoughts with loud music and noise. Try spy thrillers, or maybe even a historical documentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
Mad Max: Fury Road is a nice choice.

And, as a bonus, is from the same director as happy feet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Slaaneth wrote:
As the title asks, what movies/tv series do you suggest to watch in the background whilst having your survivors eaten by various monsters?

I normally play solo and don't like quite rooms, so I will have the tv on. However I want something atmospheric, rather than a cooking program.

Thanks for any help

There's an older thread where I asked this question, since I play KD solo, exclusively.

Let's see:

- LOTR (obviously)
- Dune
- Gladiator
- Hellraiser
- Braveheart
- Kingdom of Heaven

Alternatively, I enjoy listening to Archwarhammer's YT channel as he discusses Warhammer 40k lore, it's very relaxing.

I prefer music over movies when playing, some songs in my KD showdown playlist:

- Castlevania SOTN - Festival of Servants
- Devil May Cry OST - Ultraviolet Neo Angelo Battle
- Two Steps From Hell - Fearless
- Toreador II - Apocalyptica
- Berlin Philharmonic with Vanessa Mae - Toccata in Dm
- Kodo - Zoku (my favourite, Japanese war drums)
- Carl Orff - O Fortuna (of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow Death Note seems like a good show to watch while playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second music.

Early Diamond Galas, maybe Zoe Keating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baiyuan Di
msg tools
I think some of you guys could be a little bit less patronizing.
If you don't have an answer to the question, how about remaining silent?
That being said, while I don't play solo a lot and personally wouldn't watch a movie when I do, I like a fitting movie on the evenings when we don't feel like playing, for inspiration and atmosphere, you know.
Unfortunately I'm not very well-versed in the dark and moody genre, so I'm looking for more options myself.
So far I found Pan's Labyrinth most appropriate. Mysterious, dark, menacing etc.
Most dark fantasy movies I know are still too light-mooded imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the game "Knights in the Nightmare" for Nintendo DS had a great soundtrack for this game. A fitting name for the DS game, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
Lately I been listening to some David Bowie albums and concert while I play , in some moments the music is oddly fittin wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baiyuan wrote:
I think some of you guys could be a little bit less patronizing.
If you don't have an answer to the question, how about remaining silent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.