Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost two years ago, when we were toilet training our son Sam, we had a 'board game' where he advanced a rocket along a path with every trip to the loo. It was called Journey to a Distant Sun, and it went like this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1270022/journey-distant-sun...

He's now five, and it's now time for the sequel, Starbase for a Distant Sun...

Having survived Earth's demise a generation ago, the colonists who reached the Distant Sun now need to build a starbase from which they can launch missions to explore their new solar system. That means a whole lot of trips up into space with starbase bits, and every trip into space means a whole lot of things have to all go right.

Every job Sam has to do is represented by an essential mission task necessary to launch a rocket, and each time he does one he gets to transfer the yellow task marker from the blue board onto the rocket. If he does them all in a day, he gets to put a starbase component into orbit, and each time he completes a starbase module he wins a prize.

He can get bonus components by completing 'black ops missions' (waking up to go the toilet in the night and/or waking up with dry nighttime pants). So far I've just made the first module, split into three bits. I figured that I'd probably get at least three days to build the next one, so of course Sam just woke up shortly after 11pm to do his first ever night-time wee. I may have to accelerate my starbase module drawing schedule.

There is a separate track for 'navigation' - which starts off full each day and gets knocked down for any naughty behaviour. As if drops, he loses videos, tablet time, pudding or even indoor sleeping (not really).

We are cautiously optimistic that this will work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think it's a great idea - anything is worth a try and if it's something he enjoys, the more likely it will work.

However, i would personally not use it for nightime toilet training as this I believe is very unfair as there is no real toilet training regardless of what the pull up pant comapnies suggest. They are unconscious so therefore not an conscious decision they are making. The body develops a signal between the kidneys and brain to not pee once asleep and slow production ofwee and occassionally to wake up if necessary and this development/change is a physiological one not a physchological one and happens anytime up until they are seven, it is nothing you can train or control. You can just wait until they wake up dry most of the time and then take the nappy away. Unless of course you believe it to be due to laziness and that he pees when he wakes up? this is easily checked by waking up just before him and checking if he's dry or not. So unless you have good reason to believe he is chosing to do this, I don't think it's right to reward or not reward for something he has no control over.

Maybe use it for washing hands without being asked instead lol. Ugghhh mine just doesn't flush and wash - drives me totally insane lol!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point! It was actually something Sam had specifically requested go on the main rocket board, and I made it a strictly optional bonus thing because I didn't think he had much control over it - with the idea that we'd really just celebrate it starting to happen naturally, even though it was presented as a task reward.

That said, I can see how we could wind up disillusioning Sam about the process if he never advances on the black ops chart. Based on your advice, I'll keep a backup plan ready, and suggest that we change black ops to some other measure (like unloading groceries or reading to his little brother).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.