11 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why would I want to scrap my cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Augs Augson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A lot of the mech cards have the option to scrap a card from your hand or discard pile. But why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the starting cards are crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you never have to draw them again, and you'll draw something else instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
So you get to the more useful cards more often, thus trigger more ally abilities, get more attack power, and thus win the game.

(At some point in the game you do not want to draw more money anymore, because you don't want to purchase anything anymore. After that point drawing a card with money is a waste or a card draw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augs Augson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I see now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Augs,

What everyone is talking about actually has a name associated with it called "deck thinning". In any deck building game (Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Baseball Highlights: 2045, Dominion, etc.) the goal is to create a powerful deck to beat your opponent. You do that in two ways. First, you add more powerful cards to your deck through buying or recruiting them as part of the game. But equally powerful is getting rid of the cards that are not very powerful, that way the more powerful cards reappear more often after shuffling. Some deck building games will force bad cards into your hand (like the wounds in Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game) which make it harder for your heroes to inflict damage. You will not win most deck building games without at some point thinning out your deck to increase your chances of getting the best cards to reappear. This is especially true in Star Realms. At the later stages of conflict, if you keep drawing scouts and vipers when the opponent is drawing nothing but Blob Destroyers and big battle ships, you are going to get beaten down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
One of the strategies I've had my kids use on my multiple times, is buying cards that allow you to draw more cards, and thinning out of the starting cards. If you are successful, you can essentially draw your entire deck in one turn, hitting your allies and abilities for multiple draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
"deck thinning". In any deck building game (Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Baseball Highlights: 2045, Dominion, etc.) the goal is to create a powerful deck to beat your opponent.

Deck thinning is also a key component of Friday, a solitaire deck-building game in which you are seeking to create a powerful deck - even though there is no opponent!

Speaking of playing with kids - I have found that they often prefer not to scrap. Perhaps there's a cognitive leap in learning to measure one's deck by "average value per card" rather than by "aggregate value of deck."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only deckbuilder I've found where thinning isn't the strongest strategy is Eaten by Zombies! (where you take damage by losing cards and die if you can't draw)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tan zeyen
Singapore
flag msg tools
gillum wrote:
[q="GoingTopShelf"]"deck thinning". ........

Speaking of playing with kids - I have found that they often prefer not to scrap. Perhaps there's a cognitive leap in learning to measure one's deck by "average value per card" rather than by "aggregate value of deck."

I used Flip City to teach the concept of deck thinning. With kids or adults, and found it to be most successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.