Subject: Allowing all spells to be affected by Loremaster level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm starting to get BattleLore on the table again I remembered one thing that used to annoy me (and my OCD) every time. The fact that some spells are level-dependent, others aren't AND they aren't spread with the same ratio among each Loremaster class.
This essentially means that multiple levels on some Loremasters are more useful than others.

I really haven't played that many battles to know if there is something subtle about this that balances it out but from my perspective it's wrong.

So now I'm thinking of giving a Lore discount for non-level dependent spells for each Loremaster level above 1. Level 2 discounts all those spells by 1 and Level 3 discounts them by 2 Lore.

I wanted to ask those who have played BattleLore extensively if you think that this is going to unbalance the game? Note that I do understand the discounts will result in more Lore spells being played each battle but that's a good thing in my book and I don't really mind. I DO mind if it wrecks the game balance though so I'm asking for feedback.

Thoughts? Is this going to work as a 'fix'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All I can say is I like your idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see this would terribly unbalance the game, nor increase the number of Lore cards used, since the is a limit of 1 per turn.

My view is the most unbalancing part of the Lore spells were the Level one, like Hills Rumble or Rivers Run, which could cause massive losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a nice variant and don't think that it would 'wreck' the game.

Of course it could change part of the strategy in picking lore masters (this could be a good thing). However I won't take a Level 2 or 3 Cleric if spells like River Rage or Forest Frenzy aren't going to make sense anyway (i.e. no river or just a few forests) as an example.

Cleric: Bless, Heal, Healing Mist, Hills Rumble, Forest Frenzy, River Range, and Chain Lightning. (7)

Wizard: Lore Drain, Portal, Creeping Doom, Fireball (4)

Rogue: Pick Pocket, False Orders, Stealth, Shadow Walk, (4)

Warrior: Berserk, Cry Havoc (2)

So in the case of the Level 3 Warrior against a Level 3 Cleric this could help him out in a terrain heavy scenario. In some ways I like this - I think the more you play with the discount you will find that choosing lore masters may end up being similar with or without it again, depending on the scenario.

Not sure since I've not tried it but thinking about how I base my lore master choices each game I could see this as a nice variant or just a new decision making process that adds some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

So now I'm thinking of giving a Lore discount for non-level dependent spells for each Loremaster level above 1. Level 2 discounts all those spells by 1 and Level 3 discounts them by 2 Lore.

One subsequent thought on this aspect, and it is probably easily resolved.

With a Level 3 Loremaster playing a 1 Lore value card, and Stone Skin is an example, with a discount of 2 would 'give' the Loremaster 1 Lore for playing it.

So I think the concept should be a discount down to zero Lore cost, so a Level 2 or 3 Cleric could play Stone Skin for 0 Lore cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

One subsequent thought on this aspect, and it is probably easily resolved.

With a Level 3 Loremaster playing a 1 Lore value card, and Stone Skin is an example, with a discount of 2 would 'give' the Loremaster 1 Lore for playing it.

So I think the concept should be a discount down to zero Lore cost, so a Level 2 or 3 Cleric could play Stone Skin for 0 Lore cost.

That is how I pictured it. A discount doesn't mean that if you go below zero you gain Lore, it's just a discount down to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see it being to unbalanced, after all it applies to both players. I was thinking that the low would be one, not zero. In my world, even the most skilled master is going to have use some power to make the magic happen. They just get to make the power last longer when they have a big discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I reckon your change will help provide a slight added balance between the lore masters. Although the War Council has never really been 100% even in the choices it offers. Creature options on the War Council for example; choosing to field a Wood Wyvern would seem like a much better option than going from a level 1 to a level 2 Rogue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.