Subject: Co-operative Game with shareable random setup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Pandemic and its ilk, but they rely on a randomized deck of cards to create the antagonist. Which I also don't mind, except sometimes you get a deck that is very much stacked against you. Which truth be told, I ALSO don't mind (I don't mind much), but I would love to be able to try a tough deck over again or share it for other geeks to try.

Are there any co-ops where the initialization can be easily shared? A card deck is possible but not ideal, and nearly impossible to reconstruct for a game like pandemic. Is such a thing even possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Pandemic tournaments where all the decks are pre structured the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Yes, you can do that. But if I play a non-tournament game and go, wow! What a tough deck! Sharing it is going to be a pain for everyone involved.

Instead, I'm more interested in if its possible to create a co-op that does not have this limitation. Perhaps by virtue of a very simple, manual generative algorithm which is seeded by a handful of selections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
UanarchyK wrote:

Instead, I'm more interested in if its possible to create a co-op that does not have this limitation. Perhaps by virtue of a very simple, manual generative algorithm which is seeded by a handful of selections.

The problem with this idea is that it would be very easy for human players to predict how the game will go after seeding the AI with those first few (random) elements. Knowing what the AI will do is half the battle in beating a co-op game. Even if such a game does exist, I doubt it would be a very good game - let alone one likely to make you go "wow! what a hard game!" As soon as you're done seeding, you can extrapolate everything the AI will do next and plan accordingly.

Co-op games rely on two things to remain challenging: randomness and mechanics that are weighted in favour of the game's AI. The more randomness involved, the harder it would be to "repeat" a given game for the purposes of sharing. If you take randomness out of the equation, you're left with a game that's just really heavily slanted against the player, but always essentially the same. In that situation, sharing would simply amount to saying "hey guys, you should try this game!"

I tend to think of a particularly difficult run through of a given co-op as more of a "you had to be there" kind of situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott MacMillan
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Legendary lets you re-create the setup in broad strokes, but not exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game isn't out yet, except maybe as print-and-play, but the gameplay videos suggest that the random setup of the scenario is faceup. So you could write it down or take a picture to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor might work for you. Legend 3 has a variable setup, but it could be easily "saved" or written down, were you to find a particularly difficult configuration you liked.

To further expand on that, Legends of Andor: The Star Shield has one "scenario" but lots and lots of variables (which boss, which quest, original setup, etc.) The same applies as above, but even more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Bennett
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game for sure! If you pop over to the forums, there's lots of people who list card setups, and even tons of custom card sets you can make. There's a bunch of official expansions available as well, some of which can really change things up!

The game calls for random selection of everything, from villains to heroes, but we use an app on our phones that ensures the game will at least be balanced. Playing completely randomly we've gotten setups that just don't feel balanced enough to have been winnable.

Legendary is fantastic anyway, so you should definitely check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens all the time over in the Flash Point: Fire Rescue forums - pick a map and randomize the locations of the starting explosions, hot spots, hazmats, and POIs - then everyone can start from the same place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
In Burgle Bros., the tiles that represent a building floor are setup randomly, so you don't know what can be found where, but the walls of each floor are setup at the beginning of the game. It's quite easy to make a harder or easier setup just by changing the way the walls are laid out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Yes, you can do that. But if I play a non-tournament game and go, wow! What a tough deck! Sharing it is going to be a pain for everyone involved.

May be better in a digital setting. Few games come to mind that already do this...

Carcassonne (iOS)
The solo mode features a "new town" where the defining feature is the order the tiles come out. You can replay the same thing to either get a better high score, or to simply complete it if you failed previously.

Sentinels Of The Multiverse (PC/Steam, if not multi-platform for the stated specific feature...)
I hear there's a weekly challenge where you try to defeat the villain with a given set of heroes, environment, and villain. Some of them are REALLY HARD, and I've read one poster say that some of them are doable, but you need luck on your side so that your ducks are lined up in a row. There's definitely skill involved, as players who know the game need to be able to recognize and plan the combinations and events that need to happen for a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age has the interesting basic setup for each faction against a common goal but the journey was always different.
Perhaps the set up for Lewis & Clark would be interesting as you all start with the same hand and use each other's card placements and develop your own cards as you go, not co op though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dudes in a corridor could fit your needs. Super Dungeon explore, Dungeon Saga, and others can have the same initial setup printed, afterwards the decisions of those in control and dice determine where things end up. There's also a variety of time games like tragedy looper, or TIME stories, but ymmv as the host and foreknowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.