Subject: Starting combat between Scheme I and II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrod Wild
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I ran into a weird situation playing Automa. On the Automa's turn, it reached the Scheme II star space, so I shuffled the deck and turned it upside down. Then on my turn I wanted to move into an Automa space with a mech, initiating combat. The space was a resource territory, so how was I to determine what resources to put there after combat was over?

The rules cover the edge case where you have to reshuffle the deck in order to initiate combat (make note of the resource count on the last card before reshuffling), but in *this* edge case, I didn't think to initiate combat (from taking the Move action) until after I had entered Scheme II but before the Automa's first turn in Scheme II, so I had no resource reference.

The only workarounds I can think of are:
1> Remembering (or writing down) the number of resource icons on the last card before shuffling to start Scheme II
2> Don't reshuffle the cards until the Automa's next turn, with the caveat that if you were simultaneously out of cards to draw for combat *and* Scheme II had just started, then the reshuffle counts as the shuffle to create the Scheme II deck.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why make it difficult? Just draw a new card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mb
jmwild wrote:
I ran into a weird situation playing Automa. On the Automa's turn, it reached the Scheme II star space, so I shuffled the deck and turned it upside down. Then on my turn I wanted to move into an Automa space with a mech, initiating combat. The space was a resource territory, so how was I to determine what resources to put there after combat was over?

The rules cover the edge case where you have to reshuffle the deck in order to initiate combat (make note of the resource count on the last card before reshuffling), but in *this* edge case, I didn't think to initiate combat (from taking the Move action) until after I had entered Scheme II but before the Automa's first turn in Scheme II, so I had no resource reference.

1> Remembering (or writing down) the number of resource icons on the last card before shuffling to start Scheme II
2> Don't reshuffle the cards until the Automa's next turn, with the caveat that if you were simultaneously out of cards to draw for combat *and* Scheme II had just started, then the reshuffle counts as the shuffle to create the Scheme II deck.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

You just leave the the last card of the discard pile, do not shuffle it together with the rest of the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Wild
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Because that's against the rules. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without violating the rules outright. Maybe I'll just settle for not shuffling the cards into Scheme II until it's the Automa's turn again. Seems like the least egregious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Wild
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is also against the rules. That card should be shuffled in with the others. What if the Scheme II side is a skip turn (on Autometta), or something in the Automa's favor like deploying a mech? Taking it out of the Scheme II circulation doesn't seem like the right solution. The best I can come up with is not shuffling the deck for Scheme II until it's the Automa's turn again. Was hoping someone had a better idea. Or maybe Jamey has a solution to include in an errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmwild wrote:
This is also against the rules. That card should be shuffled in with the others. What if the Scheme II side is a skip turn (on Autometta), or something in the Automa's favor like deploying a mech? Taking it out of the Scheme II circulation doesn't seem like the right solution. The best I can come up with is not shuffling the deck for Scheme II until it's the Automa's turn again. Was hoping someone had a better idea. Or maybe Jamey has a solution to include in an errata.

I have more than a dozen solo plays under my belt. I always leave the last non-combat card face up when I shuffle the deck for Scheme II for resource reference. Works fine, fits with the intent of the rules and has not had a noticeable effect on the Automa's ability to kick my butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mb
jmwild wrote:

Look at p.11 in Automa rules:

"If you’re forced to reshuffle to draw the combat card, then
it’s a good idea to place the resource you could win in the
territory before the reshuffle, so that you can remember
how many resources are in play."

which is pretty much the same as leaving the card in the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmwild wrote:

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Sorry for being late to the party.

You make a good point and it's of course a case that we should have handled in the rulebook. My solution is to postpone the scheme II reshuffle until you actually need to draw a card. In that case, when you make the attack, you can read off the number of resources and then reshuffle and draw a combat card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.