9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mage Knight, Pathfinder or D&D? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Iv already posted a thread About D&D. But my question mainly is, would you get rid of Mage Knight to get Pathfinder říše of the runelords with expansions included or rather gt oné of D&D games which attracts mě alot. Bout mě: i love rpgs on pc like skyrim, Dragon age, I like medieval age, history and It doesnt matter whether itll b a card game or more using Dice...thats not important to mě. I have yet in mind Descent, but I think Mage Knight is better...thought...because now Im thinking of trading it either for Pathfinder říše of the runelords or oné of the d&d Games, So I would like to hear what would u recommend me to stick with. I like Witcher franschise alot f.e aswell, readed all books, played video Games nd really like the boardgames aswell, So would like to know if u advice to stick with the Mage Knight or if not...what game should I look for, maybe There is even better ones that Iv mentioned that would suited mě

Thnx for any suggestions And sorry for my english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK and D&D boardgames are nothing alike. MK involves some serious Planning (card #4, I think?). D&D games are beer and pretzels all the way. Both serve a purpose, just different ones entirely.

Haven't played Pathfinder: Rise.

In Summary: MAGE KNIGHT!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK is a master class in design, but not for everybody as there are a lot of rules, it is rather heavy in terms of brain burn, and really only plays well 1-2 players. Even player aids will be a minimum of 4-6 pages. Pathfinder and the D&D games are far more on the entry level, and I've only had passing interest in them. In short, MK can be amazing for those who are willing to invest it, but many pick lighter titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
if you want something like a Witcher/dragon age/elder scrolls experience then definitely mage knight, runebound or descent.

D&D as stated above is a fun hack & slash kinda game,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MapleMatt wrote:
would you get rid of Mage Knight to get Pathfinder říše of the runelords with expansions included
NO. F***ING. WAY.
Only do this if you want to regret something for the rest of your life!

The D&D Adventure System games are at least (simple) fun, but I still wouldn't ever trade away Mage Knight for one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D adventure system is alright, but after playing it once or twice I ended up selling it away. It is very light. Many here on BGG say the same about the Pathfinder ACG series as well, and as I have never played it before I cannot say here nor there.

With that in mind, Mage Knight is on the heavy end of the spectrum. There are quite a few dungeon crawl games that fit in the middle, such as Claustrophobia, Star Wars: Imperial Assault (Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) if you care about having a fantasy theme), and Arcadia Quest for example.

I think the important thing for you to ask yourself is what you like about the computer RPG's you have played.

Do you like rushing in and destroying things indiscriminately and exposing yourself completely while yelling, "Leeeerooooy Jeeenkinsss!!!" Then go with a lighter dungeon crawl like the D&D systems. There really is not much going on with the really light crawls.

If you like to press pause during Dragon Age, and spend five minutes calculating and re-calculating your next move thinking this will do an extra X amount of damage, but if I move them here then I can cast this spell in 5 seconds that will do XX damage...go with Mage Knight.

On the other hand if you are like me, and want something in between along the lines of I can do X amount now or XX amount latter...oh forget it unpauses game and goes with X now. It may hurt my chances but I like a little risk. Go with something in between.

Personally I would hang on to Mage Knight, and get something in between for group plays. To sum up my experience with the D&D System, every group I have played it with or tried to play it with. "D&D no thanks!" or "Wait you can't level up your character, get treasure, improve your stats, or anything like that? Lame..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay far away from Pathfinder. It's not a very good game. Take a look at Descent. With the RTL app you can play solo or coop. It's a great game with a lot of depth and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before acquiring Pathfinder, I highly recommend trying out the Pathfinder app. Pretty much plays the same, and you may save yourself some money.

Pathfinder and D&D have different mechanics, but play about the same. With D&D, you can at least use the mini's in other games, such as the D&D RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three games. They are different, so like others have said, it depends upon what kind of experience you are looking for.

Mage Knight is the deepest game of the lot. It has a high upfront learning cost. Most people recommend watching Ricky Royal's YouTube videos and doing a solo play-through before introducing the game to your friends.

PROS:
1.) The game offers a lot of variety with its random board set up.
2.) If you enjoy the game, it will stay fresh for a long time.
3.) Great game if you like to record sessions and challenge yourself to score higher next time.
4.) Very thorough reviews of the game here on BGG.

CONS:
1.) Some component problems between printings.
2.) Upfront learning can be steep.
3.) People who didn't like the game complain it feels more like "Fantasy Accountant" as you plan the best way to utilize your cards and crunch numbers.

The D&D Adventure System Games (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt and later Elemental Evil) were a great marketing tie-in to 4th Edition D&D. They were decent boardgames with a lot of miniatures you could re-use once you stepped up to the tabletop RPG.

PROS
1.) Quick setup and tear down. Games are over in an hour or less.
2.) Each game had at least 1 scenario that was very fun and worth playing multiple times.
3.) You get a lot of good miniatures for a very low price.
4.) Great sandbox games with a lot of user-created mods.
5.) An easy game to teach others that plays well with younger children

CONS
1.) Some abstractions to reduce playtime make the game feel weird because they violate traditional dungeon crawling etiquette. Kiting monsters and revealing new tiles (and monsters) is a must in the Adventure System games if you want to win.
2.) The games can be bland without user mods. I highly recommend the NinjaDorg/GeckoTh ROOM EVENT and CAMPAIGN EVENT cards which I helped work on. ChromaticDragon did a lot of excellent work for this game introducing new monsters, treasures, and encounters. Many other BGG users contributed alternate rule sets and new heroes to play with the games.

Pathfinder is a fun deck building game.

PROS
1.) Interesting mechanic where your hand functions as your hit points.
2.) It's exciting to build up your character through exploration, replacing weaker cards with strong ones. You'll be quite attached to your character by the adventure's end.
3.) Class Decks and Organized play scenarios provide new ways to experience the base games.
4.) Lots of official game aids - prepainted miniatures, game mats, logo'd card sleeves, etc.
5.) DriveThruCards has a card creator for making your own customized cards and is the source of errata'd (fixed) cards from Paizo.

CONS
1.) Gameplay is always reveal a card, add up modifiers, and roll a die.
2.) The rich universe of Pathfinder isn't really conveyed by the card game. You need to be already familiar with the RPG Adventure Path the games are based on or rely on user created content like the excellent ADVENTURE GUIDES to understand what's going on with the story.
3.) It can be challenging to learn some of the game's mechanics and abstractions, but PACG is still much easier to learn than Mage Knight.
4.) Buying everything for the game can be very expensive.
5.) Not a lot of variety between sets. There are a few new wrinkles in the gameplay - and overall the games get harder - but it's still the same core mechanics.
6.) Paizo seems focused more on monthly subscription content (class decks and organized play) than they are other aspects of the games.
7.) Some players expected the Living Card Game format used by Fantasy Flight's Lord of the Rings with characters/cards carrying over from set to set. It doesn't work that way in PACG. Once you finished the adventure path, your character is done (much like they are in the RPG when your character hits level 20) and you have to start over with a brand new (level 1) character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.